Homebuilts by State

Old October 10th 03, 03:28 PM
Ron Wanttaja

Default Homebuilts by State

I got asked the question "how many homebuilts are in each state?" off-list,
but thought others might like to see this data. For best insight, paste
into a spreadsheet or database, then sort and plot as desired.

The data is from the January 2003 FAA database, and includes only those
aircraft listed as Experimental- Amateur/Built. It does not include
homebuilts which do not have a definitive identification as such....which
total several thousand more.

Ron Wanttaja

Homebuilts by state:

AK 282
AL 379
AR 242
AZ 779
CA 3063
CO 621
CT 202
DC 17
DE 260
FL 1808
GA 474
HI 61
IA 405
ID 304
IL 938
IN 557
KS 449
KY 191
LA 260
MA 218
MD 245
ME 135
MI 829
MN 581
MO 486
MS 210
MT 204
NC 512
ND 106
NE 216
NH 149
NJ 300
NM 263
NV 345
NY 643
OH 851
OK 826
OR 819
PA 627
RI 38
SC 212
SD 122
TN 402
TX 1978
UT 233
VA 388
VT 73
WA 1053
WI 779
WV 114
WY 103

Old October 10th 03, 07:58 PM
Barnyard BOb --

I got asked the question "how many homebuilts are in each state?" off-list,
but thought others might like to see this data. For best insight, paste
into a spreadsheet or database, then sort and plot as desired.

The data is from the January 2003 FAA database, and includes only those
aircraft listed as Experimental- Amateur/Built. It does not include
homebuilts which do not have a definitive identification as such....which
total several thousand more.

Ron Wanttaja

Homebuilts by state:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks so much for your outstanding efforts.

Barnyard BOb --
Old October 11th 03, 02:00 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 13:58:32 -0500, Barnyard BOb --
wrote:

Homebuilts by state:

Thanks so much for your outstanding efforts.

I like to think of myself as along the lines of the unofficial motto of the
US Army Artillery... :-)

Ron "BOb's the Infantry" Wanttaja
Old October 11th 03, 10:14 AM
Barnyard BOb --

Homebuilts by state:

Thanks so much for your outstanding efforts.

I like to think of myself as along the lines of the unofficial motto of the
US Army Artillery... :-)

Ron "BOb's the Infantry" Wanttaja

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

HOOWA ! g

Barnyard BOb --

Old October 11th 03, 06:45 PM
David O

Ron Wanttaja wrote:

I got asked the question "how many homebuilts are in each state?" off-list,
but thought others might like to see this data. For best insight, paste
into a spreadsheet or database, then sort and plot as desired.

The data is from the January 2003 FAA database, and includes only those
aircraft listed as Experimental- Amateur/Built. It does not include
homebuilts which do not have a definitive identification as such....which
total several thousand more.

Ron Wanttaja

Thanks Ron. I was curious about per capita figures so I calculated a
per capita column using state population data from the 2000 US Census.
The per captia figures are per 10,000 people in each state.

AK 282 4.48 (experimental homebuilts per 10,000 people)
DE 260 3.31
OR 819 2.39
OK 826 2.39
ID 304 2.34
MT 204 2.25
WY 103 2.08
WA 1053 1.78
NV 345 1.72
KS 449 1.67
ND 106 1.65
SD 122 1.61
AZ 779 1.52
WI 779 1.45
NM 263 1.44
CO 621 1.44
IA 405 1.38
NE 216 1.26
NH 149 1.20
VT 73 1.20
MN 581 1.18
FL 1808 1.13
ME 135 1.06
UT 233 1.04
TX 1978 0.95
IN 557 0.91
AR 242 0.90
CA 3063 0.90
MO 486 0.87
AL 379 0.85
MI 829 0.83
IL 938 0.75
OH 851 0.75
MS 210 0.74
TN 402 0.71
NC 512 0.63
WV 114 0.63
CT 202 0.59
LA 260 0.58
GA 474 0.58
VA 388 0.55
SC 212 0.53
PA 627 0.51
HI 61 0.50
KY 191 0.47
MD 245 0.46
RI 38 0.36
NJ 300 0.36
MA 218 0.34
NY 643 0.34
DC 17 0.30

I made a map of the per capita data. Dark blue for the highest per
captia figure (Alaska) and very light blue for the next to lowest per
capita figure (New York). DC isn't mapped.

http://www.AirplaneZone.com/NewsgroupPix/USA04b.gif

The map is public domain as far as I'm concerned. I'll leave it up
for a few days.

Of course, Delaware isn't really a hotbed of experimental homebuilding
activity. It's just that some people choose to own their planes
through shell corporations and Delaware is a popular state for such
corporations.

David O -- http://www.AirplaneZone.com

Old October 12th 03, 07:25 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 13:45:39 -0400, David O
wrote:

Thanks Ron. I was curious about per capita figures so I calculated a
per capita column using state population data from the 2000 US Census.
The per captia figures are per 10,000 people in each state.

Hey, cool! Thanks!

I ran my database and got the breakdown between all aircraft registered per
state and the homebuilts. I've appended the results (plus your numbers) to
the end of this posting.

The results: The state which has the highest ratio of homebuilts per
aircraft registered is...Wisconsin (11.9%)! Followed by Iowa and Indiana,
then Washington and Oregon. Delaware, which, as you mentioned, is a hotbed
of dummy corporations for registering airplanes, actually comes out at the
very bottom (2.3%). Second from the bottom is Alaska (2.7%).

It's interesting that the two states to come out the highest in per-capita
homebuilt ownership are the lowest when it comes to the ratio of homebuilts
vs. total registered aircraft.

Ron Wanttaja
Total Total David's Per Capita
State AC Homeb. Percent (homeb. per 10,000 people)
WI 6550 779 11.9% 1.45
IA 3767 405 10.8% 1.38
IN 5792 557 9.6% 0.91
WA 11103 1053 9.5% 1.78
OR 8832 819 9.3% 2.39
ID 3415 304 8.9% 2.34
AZ 8994 779 8.7% 1.52
RI 440 38 8.6% 0.36
WV 1320 114 8.6% 0.63
IL 10897 938 8.6% 0.75
NE 2590 216 8.3% 1.26
CO 7511 621 8.3% 1.44
VT 884 73 8.3% 1.2
CA 37308 3063 8.2% 0.9
MI 10128 829 8.2% 0.83
ME 1681 135 8.0% 1.06
FL 22657 1808 8.0% 1.13
OH 10818 851 7.9% 0.75
PA 8195 627 7.7% 0.51
AL 5065 379 7.5% 0.85
MO 6601 486 7.4% 0.87
MN 7973 581 7.3% 1.18
SC 2921 212 7.3% 0.53
KS 6213 449 7.2% 1.67
TX 27516 1978 7.2% 0.95
NV 4807 345 7.2% 1.72
MS 2927 210 7.2% 0.74
NY 8985 643 7.2% 0.34
NM 3710 263 7.1% 1.44
OK 11721 826 7.0% 2.39
HI 871 61 7.0% 0.5
MD 3542 245 6.9% 0.46
TN 5851 402 6.9% 0.71
VA 5662 388 6.9% 0.55
KY 2809 191 6.8% 0.47
CT 2982 202 6.8% 0.59
NC 7785 512 6.6% 0.63
AR 3768 242 6.4% 0.9
NH 2332 149 6.4% 1.2
WY 1619 103 6.4% 2.08
NJ 4872 300 6.2% 0.36
SD 2013 122 6.1% 1.61
LA 4313 260 6.0% 0.58
MT 3569 204 5.7% 2.25
GA 8327 474 5.7% 0.58
MA 4090 218 5.3% 0.34
ND 2187 106 4.8% 1.65
UT 4968 233 4.7% 1.04
DC 497 17 3.4% 0.3
AK 10483 282 2.7% 4.48
DE 11145 260 2.3% 3.31

Old October 13th 03, 12:37 AM
Del Rawlins

On 11 Oct 2003 10:25 PM, Ron Wanttaja posted the following:

snippage
Delaware, which, as you
mentioned, is a hotbed of dummy corporations for registering airplanes,
actually comes out at the very bottom (2.3%). Second from the bottom
is Alaska (2.7%).

It's interesting that the two states to come out the highest in per-
capita homebuilt ownership are the lowest when it comes to the ratio
of homebuilts vs. total registered aircraft.

I can't say what the deal is with Delaware, but Alaska has the largest
number of pilots per capita, so it would stand to reason that we would
also have the highest number of homebuilts per capita. On the other
hand, the vast majority of airplanes up here work for a living and thus
need to have a standard airworthiness certificate. So while there are
apparently plenty of homebuilts, they are overshadowed by the number of
certified planes.

Del Rawlins-
Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email.
Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:
http://www.rawlinsbrothers.org/bhfaq/
Old October 13th 03, 03:00 PM
Gig Giacona

"Del Rawlins" wrote in message
[...]

Delaware is easy. It is a tax corporate tax thing. Lots of people register
their planes in Delaware. It is much less common for homebuilts to be
registered as corporate owned but there are enough that it spikes Delaware's
numbers anyway.

I'll bet that if you go to all the airports and start counting planes that
the number will be [Small%] of planes registered there.

Old October 13th 03, 04:53 PM
Russell Kent

Ron Wanttaja wrote:

I like to think of myself as along the lines of the unofficial motto of the
US Army Artillery... :-)

"On the way!" ;-)

Russell Kent

Old October 14th 03, 01:27 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 10:53:41 -0500, Russell Kent wrote:

Ron Wanttaja wrote:

I like to think of myself as along the lines of the unofficial motto of the
US Army Artillery... :-)

"On the way!" ;-)

I was thinking more along the lines of, "Artillery adds dignity to what
otherwise would be a vulgar brawl." :-)

Ron Wanttaja