Aircraft as mobile homes

Old March 27th 07, 06:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Default Aircraft as mobile homes

"Maxwell" wrote in news:2pfNh.12619$Ng1.1178
@newsfe19.lga:

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
ps.com...
Why, your own trailer wearing out?

Bertie

Probably wants to get out of his simulated apartment.

Snort!

Bertie
Old March 27th 07, 07:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.disasters.aviation,alt.usenet.kooks
Mxsmanic

Bertie the Bunyip writes:

Why would you need one?

Presumably even the most fanatical aviator would still want to stray outside
the airfield from time to time, to see places inaccessible by plane.

Old March 27th 07, 07:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip writes:

Why would you need one?

Presumably even the most fanatical aviator would still want to stray
outside the airfield from time to time, to see places inaccessible by
plane.

Airfield? You wouldn't know what to do on one, fjukkwit.

Berti e

Old March 27th 07, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air
C J Campbell[_1_]

On 2007-03-24 13:42:00 -0700, Sylvain said:

Mxsmanic wrote:
Has anyone done this? Is it a practical project, or are there things that
make it impractical or impossible to use an aircraft as a camper or RV?

I thought about something like that: aircraft big enough to carry a
motorbike and be self sufficient; then I ran the numbers:
turns out to be a heck of a lot cheaper to get the smaller aircraft
that fits your travelling needs, and rent a car/bike and a hotel
room at each destination (and you'll be a lot more confortable
overall). Actually, I wonder if the same holds true for the large
RV as well.

--Sylvain

I have heard of a Caravan with an interior by Winnebago. Mind, even the
Caravan doesn't really have enough room to stand up comfortably.

I have also seen a couple homebuilt amphibians that were supposed to at
least have sleeping quarters on board, but I can't remember what they
were.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old March 27th 07, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air
Darryl

On Mar 24, 6:51 am, Mxsmanic wrote:
Then I thought to myself: Why can't an airplane be used the same way? Suppose
you sold your house and various other goods, and bought yourself a really nice
aircraft. Suppose you outfitted it with RV-style amenities (as space
permits), such as a bed, TV, tiny stove or microwave, refrigerator, PC, and so
on. In theory, with the right kind of aircraft (obviously something larger
than a Piper Cub, but it need not necessarily be a Boeing Business Jet), you
could live out of it, flying periodically from place to place and visiting the
country from above (rather than from the highway). You could sleep over at an
airport right in your aircraft, then start out the next day for a new
destination.

Has anyone done this? Is it a practical project, or are there things that
make it impractical or impossible to use an aircraft as a camper or RV?

A couple of thoughts on that:

1) Would airports really let passengers, even if they arrived on their
own plane, hang around all day and night outside the terminal but
inside the airport perimeter, basically unsupervised?

2) Getting electricity and water in and sewage out (while parked away
from a gate) would be a little trickier than it would be with RVs.
Less infrastructure to support it.

3) Sleeping in an aircraft at an airport...well, it's hard to think of
a worse place to try and sleep. The good news: lots of white noise.
Bad news: it's at 100 db.

The reason this isn't done often is like someone already said: if you
can afford your own plane, then the cost of a hotel room isn't going
to break you. People who buy big RVs love RV campgrounds and the RV
lifestyle. Hardly anyone loves airports.

Old March 27th 07, 09:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic

Darryl writes:

1) Would airports really let passengers, even if they arrived on their
own plane, hang around all day and night outside the terminal but
inside the airport perimeter, basically unsupervised?

I don't know--would they? Large airports seem fairly paranoid, but what about
smaller GA airports? And while there may be security to keep people out of
the airside portion of the airport, what security is there once they are on
that side?

I think airports are unnecessarily paranoid, anyway.

Your other points are good as well.

Old March 27th 07, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air
Sylvain

Darryl wrote:

A couple of thoughts on that:

1) Would airports really let passengers, even if they arrived on their
own plane, hang around all day and night outside the terminal but
inside the airport perimeter, basically unsupervised?

you might eventually get the same problem you see with marinas: it is
difficult enough to find a place to park your boat, but try finding a
place that'll let you live in it...

Ok, there are still quite a few small airports, that will let you
camp near your aircraft; so if you really want to be self sufficient,
it might be even easier to pack some camping gear in your aircraft;

When I was a wee lad hanging around gliding clubs in France and
its viscinity, I have seen some folks doing things like that,
i.e., traveling along with camping gear in the back seat of their
Jodel (or even gliders!... it can be done with good planning and
if you live in a place with a good enough density of gliding clubs
capable of launching you back to your next stop); a nice way
to spend a vacation...

--Sylvain
Old March 27th 07, 11:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
flynrider via AviationKB.com

C J Campbell wrote:

I have heard of a Caravan with an interior by Winnebago. Mind, even the
Caravan doesn't really have enough room to stand up comfortably.

I have also seen a couple homebuilt amphibians that were supposed to at
least have sleeping quarters on board, but I can't remember what they
were.

I think I've seen that Caravan up in the mountains.

I think you'd need a pretty big plane to live comfortably. A couple of
weeks ago I saw an Antonov AN-2 that was fitted out with a comfortable living
area inside. By far the most impressive was a Grumman Albatross at a
backcountry airstrip that was fitted with a luxurious RV-like interior.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old March 27th 07, 11:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ken Finney

"Sylvain" wrote in message
t...
Darryl wrote:

[...]

Maybe we need more places like this, a State Park with its own airstrip:

http://www.ferrycounty.com/curlewlak...ark/index.html

Old March 28th 07, 12:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Darryl writes:

1) Would airports really let passengers, even if they arrived on
their own plane, hang around all day and night outside the terminal
but inside the airport perimeter, basically unsupervised?

I don't know--would they? Large airports seem fairly paranoid, but
what about smaller GA airports? And while there may be security to
keep people out of the airside portion of the airport, what security
is there once they are on that side?

I think airports are unnecessarily paranoid, anyway.

Yeah, I'm sure that the people of New York would agree with you
fjukkktard

bertie