Bumping 18,000 in OK

Old April 3rd 10, 05:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

Default Bumping 18,000 in OK

On Apr 2, 9:01*pm, Grider Pirate wrote:
On Apr 2, 2:59*pm, sisu1a wrote:

* Tony................I saw on the Facebook page where someone said
wood

explodes above 10K.....................better be careful!

only if you spray it with Pledge...

-p

yes, and Bob K and his sawsall....................

Bob, if you're reading this I highly recommend you wear a full Tyvec
protective suit and for gods sake man, leave your sawsall in the shop
when at the airfield just on the off chance some Pledge overspray from
one of those overzealous canopy/gelcoat polishers hits you on a high
density altitude day.

To ensure the success and completion of the HP-24 project, you should
make extra copies of the 'master plan' and ensure that Bridgette, Brad
and the others have copies- *just in case you do explode...

aul

?? So... Bob explodes if he gets misted with Pledge being applied to a
wooden Glider near 18,000 feet, while using a sawsall to harvest wood
for making leading edge bug wiper paper?? *Bob, step away from the
Sawsall, and cover up fer gosh sake!

this my friends, is how urban legends evolve..................let's
all step away from the keyboard..............I'll go
first..............brad
Old April 3rd 10, 07:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Randy[_2_]

The flying that we are doing in SE Oklahoma (Talihina) has been
so much fun. There is no where that I know of in the Central US
where you can fly with ridge, thermal and wave lift and can do it
all in one flight.
We have pilots driving 3 to 8 hours just to fly here for the weekend!
We are starting to do the flights that I/we have been dreaming about
for a long time. My flight missed Diamond Altitude by about 400 feet.
With a little bit of planning, we will start the flight with a much
lower
start altitude. This will be easy to do.
We were never sure if the wave lift was capable to provide lift to
18,000 feet. Now we know that we can exceed FL180.
I will get my Diamond Altitude here in Oklahoma and will encourage
and help other pilots to do the same.
We will also get a 1,000K flight. It will not count for a 1,000K
Diplomas
or for OLC scoring because our maximum leg will be just over 80
miles.
As long as the winds are blowing, we can have 12 plus hours of
soaring
conditions
We owe a lot of our success to Dick Goodgame (our tow pilot) who is
willing to bring our his tow plane and towing for us. This has helped
avoid all issues that comes with using club's equipment.

Thanks Dick, we could not be doing this without you!

http://talihinasoaring.com/

Randy Teel
Tulsa, OK
N304RS

Old April 3rd 10, 07:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike[_8_]

On Apr 3, 12:22*am, Randy wrote:
[...]

Sounds like great fun getting to explore and develop a new site.

Best wishes for your continued success.

Mike

Old April 3rd 10, 07:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold[_3_]

On 4/2/2010 11:22 PM, Randy wrote:
[...]

Couldn't you get a 6-leg OLC 1000K in wave by flying beyond the ends of
the ridge?

Old April 4th 10, 02:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Randy[_2_]

Couldn't you get a 6-leg OLC 1000K in wave by flying beyond the ends of
the ridge?

We have not explored the area enough to know what wave lift
is available at the far ends of the other ridges. Take a look at
the "TALIHINA,OK" area on Google Earth to see our area.

You can also get a good view of the area from some pictures
I took from a B737 going from Tulsa OK to Dallas TX.
Go to our website http://talihinasoaring.com/ and if you look in
the Photo area / Flight Levels.

Randy