lightweight Libelle 201b

Old January 21st 19, 10:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bertvaneyken

Default lightweight Libelle 201b

For the e-libelle modification it has to be as light as possible.
I've reviewed 7 w&b bulletins so far and evaluated their damage history.
If one throws out those lead batteries we'll get to 206kg but not below 200kg... The average is about 215kg, no real correlation with repairs.

Anyone experience with a very light Libelle? I assume the are around but very scarce.
Old January 22nd 19, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Mon, 21 Jan 2019 13:19:16 -0800, bertvaneyken wrote:

For the e-libelle modification it has to be as light as possible.
I've reviewed 7 w&b bulletins so far and evaluated their damage history.
If one throws out those lead batteries we'll get to 206kg but not below
200kg... The average is about 215kg, no real correlation with repairs.

Thats almost exactly what mine weighs with a 5.6kg panel fitted. I don't
remember whether batteries were in last time it was weighed. This is an
early 201 Libelle - werk nr 82 - with balsa skinned flying surfaces.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org
Old January 22nd 19, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Mon, 21 Jan 2019 23:27:20 +0000, Martin Gregorie wrote:

On Mon, 21 Jan 2019 13:19:16 -0800, bertvaneyken wrote:

For the e-libelle modification it has to be as light as possible.
I've reviewed 7 w&b bulletins so far and evaluated their damage
history.
If one throws out those lead batteries we'll get to 206kg but not below
200kg... The average is about 215kg, no real correlation with repairs.

Thats almost exactly what mine weighs with a 5.6kg panel fitted. I don't
remember whether batteries were in last time it was weighed. This is an
early 201 Libelle - werk nr 82 - with balsa skinned flying surfaces.

Just checked the docs: 212kg with 5.6 Kg panel, 2 x 7.2AH SLA and an MH
Kevlar reinforced oxygen cylinder fitted.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org
Old January 22nd 19, 08:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wyll Surf Air

I am part owner in serial number 81. It has had one tail boom break due to a landout in 1982 but was properly repaired. The last weight and balance has an empty weight of 454 lbs or just about 206kg. This is with a steel O2 tank and a fairly simple panel. So they can be repaired and still stay quiet light.
Old January 22nd 19, 09:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pete Startup[_2_]

Just weighed 201 s/no. 178, 205.56kgs empty.

NDH but has 8kgs ballast in the nose to bring the empty and flight CG's to
a sensible place.Very light panel.

Old January 22nd 19, 12:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 08:02:45 +0000, Pete Startup wrote:

Just weighed 201 s/no. 178, 205.56kgs empty.

NDH but has 8kgs ballast in the nose to bring the empty and flight CG's
to a sensible place.Very light panel.

You need more toys in your panel and a bit less ballast :-)

On a slightly more serious note, when I got mine we weighed it and found
the CG was pretty much on the aft limit, which bothered the inspector.
Some investigation found 800g of lead screwed to the fin's main spar and,
judging by a bit of paint overspray on it and the log, it had been there
for years. We took it out and the CG returned to factory standard. Since
full forward trim range runs out at a fairly low cruise speed (I'm quite
light) its just as well we found and removed the lead.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org
Old January 22nd 19, 11:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, January 21, 2019 at 4:19:18 PM UTC-5, bertvaneyken wrote:
For the e-libelle modification it has to be as light as possible.
I've reviewed 7 w&b bulletins so far and evaluated their damage history.
If one throws out those lead batteries we'll get to 206kg but not below 200kg... The average is about 215kg, no real correlation with repairs.

Anyone experience with a very light Libelle? I assume the are around but very scarce.

Weighed SN 470 last month: 200.8 kg
Old January 23rd 19, 09:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ross[_3_]

I had # 505 and it weighd in at 206kg with 1 15Ah and 1 7.2Ah lead battery.
It has Winglets, racing canopy and fairings. No idea what the panel weighed but it has an asi, an LX9000 and a radio.
To do the e mod, you will have to remove water ballast and that is another couple of kilo saved.
Old January 23rd 19, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bertvaneyken

That one went to the Netherlands :-)
Considering the available data it is a very light one.
https://1drv.ms/x/s!AiA-knT__Wemg75yNhS7Nv29xZS9hA

Getting from 219 down to 210 by stripping or slightly below should be doable but below that seems difficult to me. It depends how many gelcoat is spent on the surfaces and that you only know when you start sanding...

ps.
Maybe I should continue Richard Cawsey's work to create a register of Libelles to document some history.

Want to buy or lease 201B Libelle [email protected] Soaring 0 May 25th 12 04:59 AM
FS: Libelle 201b $9,500 USD Tim Hanke Soaring 0 January 5th 12 01:07 PM
FS: Libelle 201b Tim Hanke Soaring 8 May 6th 09 12:18 AM
Libelle 201B Manual Joris Vanderputten Soaring 1 May 8th 05 12:49 PM
Libelle 201B in SoCal... Pat Russette Soaring 0 April 9th 05 05:42 AM