Questions on UV curing polyester resins.

Old March 20th 10, 03:48 AM posted to rec.boats.building,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Fred the Red Shirt

Default Questions on UV curing polyester resins.

No longer relevant to boat building so I've crossposted and set follow-
ups.
Thanks, r.b.b. guys!

On Mar 19, 8:55*pm, cavelamb wrote:
Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

On Mar 19, 3:53 pm, cavelamb wrote:
Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

I'm looking at materials and techniques that would be useful for a
homebuilt glider.

I thought you have a set of Texas Parasol plans, Fred.
Light and cheap techniques there.

Yes *I do and have found no better (where 'better' is defined
in terms of strong, light, fast, and not too expensive) way
to make a fuselage.

I think with composites I can make a lighter wing, considering
that a glider wing will be longer, thinner and have a shorter
chord than the TP wing.

--

FF

The traditional primaries were quite heavy.

Think aluminum angle primary glider type fuselage and take the wing and tail
from the Texas Parasol.

The whole mess wouldn't weight 100 pounds.

Cool! It needs to be under 150 to qualify as a FAR 103 UL glider.

How much does one TP wing weigh? How much does the
whole plane weigh, sans engine?

A 12' SkyPup wing with a 52" chord and weighs about 26 pounds,
but that has no drag spar or ailerons. The whole Pup weighs 205
lbs.

--

FF
Old March 20th 10, 04:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb[_2_]

Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

Cool! It needs to be under 150 to qualify as a FAR 103 UL glider.

How much does one TP wing weigh?

Last ones I built were about 35 pounds each, with ailerons.
They could be 5 to 8 pounds lighter if it were important.
Leave out the false ribs (and the foam false spar that supports them).

How much does the
whole plane weigh, sans engine?

Bare airframe was about 40 pounds on the gear.
But there is still a lot to add to that for a completed airplane.

But if you were after a primary glider style airframe?
I'd guess 50 pounds complete with single wheel.

LOTS of wire...
But wire is pretty light.

--

FF

--

Richard Lamb

Old March 20th 10, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb[_2_]

Fred,

You might also want to take a look at Paper Dragon.
Similar wing, but single tube tailboom.

All zipped up for you.

Richard
Old March 20th 10, 08:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Fred the Red Shirt

On Mar 20, 1:46*pm, cavelamb wrote:
Fred,

You might also want to take a look at Paper Dragon.
Similar wing, but single tube tailboom.

All zipped up for you.

Thanks.

That's a lot like one of Mike Sandlin's airchairs, only with
an engine.

Have you sen Marske's flying wings:
http://www.continuo.com/marske/
He describes his method for using carbon fiber rods he
http://www.continuo.com/marske/ARTIC...ods/carbon.htm
and he
http://www.marskeaircraft.com/carbonrod.html

Meanwhile, on the subject of wire bracing, how is proper
tension obtained on the wires? Are they terminated with
a threaded fastener like a bicycle spoke?

--

FF
Old March 21st 10, 04:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb[_2_]

Fred the Red Shirt wrote:
On Mar 20, 1:46 pm, cavelamb wrote:
Fred,

You might also want to take a look at Paper Dragon.
Similar wing, but single tube tailboom.

All zipped up for you.

Thanks.

That's a lot like one of Mike Sandlin's airchairs, only with
an engine.

Have you sen Marske's flying wings:
http://www.continuo.com/marske/
He describes his method for using carbon fiber rods he
http://www.continuo.com/marske/ARTIC...ods/carbon.htm
and he
http://www.marskeaircraft.com/carbonrod.html

Meanwhile, on the subject of wire bracing, how is proper
tension obtained on the wires? Are they terminated with
a threaded fastener like a bicycle spoke?

--

FF

I like turnbuckles.

But you can also just twist the wire.

Twist with the lay to tighten, against to loosen.

--

Richard Lamb

2-33 Questions P. Corbett Soaring 0 February 25th 07 05:46 PM
More IFR with VFR GPS questions Chris Quaintance Instrument Flight Rules 58 November 30th 05 08:39 PM
heater control for curing oven [email protected] Home Built 27 October 1st 05 07:03 PM
Mig-29 questions & general aviation questions 2003 Steven Military Aviation 1 October 20th 03 06:06 AM
Seven Questions For Michael Moore from a Blogger (was Questions for Mr. Bush, from Michael Moore) Jim Yanik Military Aviation 2 October 9th 03 09:36 PM