What electronics are worth buying

Old October 23rd 18, 10:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Huthmaker

Default What electronics are worth buying

With Christmas coming up, what are some things worth asking Santa for? Is there any decent GPS devices that are reasonably priced? I'm thinking around the $500 mark. I already have a handheld transceiver. I have a nice headset for power planes. I have a parachute. At my soaring club, all of the planes are as minimalist as they come. They're all steam gauges. What do you guys consider to be essential modern tech for gliders?
Old October 23rd 18, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RR

On Tuesday, October 23, 2018 at 5:47:54 PM UTC-4, John Huthmaker wrote:
What do you guys consider to be essential modern tech for gliders?

If you are flying Cross Country, an InReach tracker. You will be able to call in the troups if you land outside of cell range or your friends' won't fret if you are late (and they can see you are still flying).

Rick
Old October 24th 18, 02:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

An Oudie would be a good choice.
Old October 24th 18, 03:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

On Tuesday, October 23, 2018 at 3:47:54 PM UTC-6, John Huthmaker wrote:
With Christmas coming up, what are some things worth asking Santa for? Is there any decent GPS devices that are reasonably priced? I'm thinking around the $500 mark. I already have a handheld transceiver. I have a nice headset for power planes. I have a parachute. At my soaring club, all of the planes are as minimalist as they come. They're all steam gauges. What do you guys consider to be essential modern tech for gliders?

John,

If you are going to be using the club gliders, look at the LX Nano and a good dedicated daylight visible Android phone(I use a Sony Xperia Z3)to install XCSoar or Top Hat on to. Also the LoRa Flarm device would be a good choice for proximity warnings. The Nano and LoRa Flarm are both very portable and you will not need to connect to the gliders electrical system. Total about $650.00 US.

Mike
Old October 24th 18, 06:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Tuesday, October 23, 2018 at 7:16:33 PM UTC-7, Mike C wrote:
[...]

Or even better. Find out what portable soaring software/devices local XC pilots are using, pilots going good XC distances, that will help you. Get what they use. Might be XCSoar, Might be SeeYou Mobile/Oudie, might be ...

No argument on the Garmin inReach, get the Mini and a proper way to mount it on your parachute harness (like an Alan Silver Smak Pak).

SeeYou on a PC is also likely a good investment if you are heading off XC. maybe wanting to do badges, etc.

Old October 24th 18, 08:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

If you are going to be using the club gliders, look at the LX Nano and a good dedicated daylight visible Android phone(I use a Sony Xperia Z3)to install XCSoar or Top Hat on to. Also the LoRa Flarm device would be a good choice for proximity warnings. The Nano and LoRa Flarm are both very portable and you will not need to connect to the gliders electrical system. Total about $650.00 US.

Mike

Could go Nano4 and skip bluetooth to phone. Pluses and minuses to both solutions. What is LoRa Flarm?
Old October 24th 18, 10:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

On Tuesday, October 23, 2018 at 4:47:54 PM UTC-5, John Huthmaker wrote:
With Christmas coming up, what are some things worth asking Santa for? Is there any decent GPS devices that are reasonably priced? I'm thinking around the $500 mark. I already have a handheld transceiver. I have a nice headset for power planes. I have a parachute. At my soaring club, all of the planes are as minimalist as they come. They're all steam gauges. What do you guys consider to be essential modern tech for gliders?

John - I assume that you do not own a glider and want something to increase club ship flying pleasure. I can't comment on cell phone based systems but my choices for dedicated devices would be (with approximate pricing);

Primary GPS device #1 - Naviter Oudie 2 (IGC version adds flight recorder) - Nice bright large sized 5" screen, dedicated SeeYou Mobile software, and comes with a suction cup mount, pwr/data cabling, etc. $600 ($1200)

Primary GPS device #2 - LXNav Nano 4 (also is a flight recorder, audio vario) - Nice bright medium sized 3-1/2" screen. $700

Secondary GPS device - LXNav Nano 3 (also is a flight recorder, audio vario) - Nice bright small sized 2" screen. $600

Safety Device - PLB like ACR ELECTRONICS ResQLink+ - Doesn't require a monthly fee (but does *NOT* send real time tracking to friends) - $300

Best of luck.

John OHM Ω
Old October 24th 18, 10:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Huthmaker

Thank you everyone for the great responses.
Old October 25th 18, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

The board: http://github.com/lyusupov/SoftRF/wi...e-Edition-MkII
Quick start: http://github.com/lyusupov/SoftRF/wi...I.-Quick-start
Settings description: http://github.com/lyusupov/SoftRF/wiki/Settings
Enclosu http://github.com/lyusupov/SoftRF/tree/master/case/v5
Old October 25th 18, 07:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

I switched PLBs from ACR to McMurdo Fastfind Ranger. A motivating factor was periodic battery replacement. The first replacement battery had already used up over a year of its life on the shelf, but I did get a small credit when I complained. The second time around, the battery replacement quote was not that much less than a new Fastfind which is substantially lighter, more compact and has a longer battery life.

I gave my ACR to a ham radio operator who knows how to use a soldering gun.