Great Article flying the winter wave in Canada -the alternative place to do 1000km in December

Old December 20th 18, 12:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_4_]

Default Great Article flying the winter wave in Canada -the alternative place to do 1000km in December

https://www.facebook.com/canglide/

https://mailchi.mp/d9152c5ad06d/s01e31?
fbclid=IwAR3vqpQ3x9jHWK5pMl17htS04Z3BEv4v9tMysk1Ms rHzenYrdjI
xqFYS0sI

One slight issue is the authors tendancy not to do his research i.e.
'1,000km flights haven’t been easy to come by, one had never been
flown in North America in December. '

Tito in 2017? Cummings in 2913? I'm sure there have been a few
before?

Never let the truth get in the way of a great article eh?

Old December 20th 18, 08:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 3:30:05 PM UTC-8, Paul T wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/canglide/

https://mailchi.mp/d9152c5ad06d/s01e31?
fbclid=IwAR3vqpQ3x9jHWK5pMl17htS04Z3BEv4v9tMysk1Ms rHzenYrdjI
xqFYS0sI

One slight issue is the authors tendancy not to do his research i.e.
'1,000km flights haven’t been easy to come by, one had never been
flown in North America in December. '

Tito in 2017? Cummings in 2913? I'm sure there have been a few
before?

Never let the truth get in the way of a great article eh?

Satellite loop photos this AM (12/20) showed the Chinook wave setup from north of Calgary all the way to Yellowstone.
Old December 21st 18, 07:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Friesen

On Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 11:05:30 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 3:30:05 PM UTC-8, Paul T wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/canglide/

https://mailchi.mp/d9152c5ad06d/s01e31?
fbclid=IwAR3vqpQ3x9jHWK5pMl17htS04Z3BEv4v9tMysk1Ms rHzenYrdjI
xqFYS0sI

One slight issue is the authors tendancy not to do his research i.e.
'1,000km flights haven’t been easy to come by, one had never been
flown in North America in December. '

Tito in 2017? Cummings in 2913? I'm sure there have been a few
before?

Never let the truth get in the way of a great article eh?

Satellite loop photos this AM (12/20) showed the Chinook wave setup from north of Calgary all the way to Yellowstone.

The Cninook Arch wave system is generally thought to be a larger scale phenomenon than the typical lee waves behind mountain ranges. I have seen a satellite image of a crisply defined Chinook Arch stretching all the way from Anchorage Alaska to Denver. To my knowledge, the only serious campaign to connect with the Chinook Arch was by Tim Wood, self-launching out of Pincher Creek.

What Chester Fitchett (and co-pilots Guy Peasley, Patrick McMahon, Gerald Ince) and other CuNim members - always a risk to start naming names - have done this wave season is simply outstanding. They are building on accomplishments by Phil Stade, Kerry Stephenson, Tony Burton and others out of CuNim and Cowley, and Vaughn Allen self-launching out of Claresholm. The best explanation of the southern Alberta wave systems formally published to date is by Vaughn, published in Free Flight, the Soaring Association of Canada magazine (my apologies for not provided a direct link; the search feature did not work this evening).

As Chester says,"Plenty to learn", more to come.
Old December 21st 18, 05:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_4_]

:

wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/canglide/
=20
=20
https://mailchi.mp/d9152c5ad06d/s01e31?

fbclid=3DIwAR3vqpQ3x9jHWK5pMl17htS04Z3BEv4v9tMysk1 MsrHze
nYrdjI
xqFYS0sI
=20
One slight issue is the authors tendancy not to do his research

i.e.=20
'1,000km flights haven=E2=80=99t been easy to come by,

one had never
be=
en=20
flown in North America in December. '
=20
Tito in 2017? Cummings in 2913? I'm sure there have been a

few=20
before?
=20

=
[...]

Tony Burton did a few limited 'research flights' in the Alcor sailplane
along the Chinook Arch https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamson_L-
106_Alcor -wrote an article if Free Flight. As you say Vaughn's
article's are the best -he was the first guy to fly 1000 km in the
Rockies Wave a long time ago in his Pik20e! Also have to remember
there have been 5 flights flown in the Columbia Valley, the other side
of the Rocks over 1000 km including Canada's longest to date
1175km. East or west still plenty more to learn and to come? -
1500km triangle in B.C. ? 5000KM in the wave/Arch?

Old December 21st 18, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

Tony Burton did a few limited 'research flights' in the Alcor sailplane
along the Chinook Arch https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamson_L- 106_Alcor
-wrote an article if Free Flight. As you say Vaughn's article's are the
best -he was the first guy to fly 1000 km in the Rockies Wave a long time
ago in his Pik20e! Also have to remember there have been 5 flights flown in
the Columbia Valley, the other side of the Rocks over 1000 km including
Canada's longest to date 1175km. East or west still plenty more to learn
and to come? - 1500km triangle in B.C. ? 5000KM in the wave/Arch?

Peripherally related, me writing as an ignorant colonial, would one of my
neighboring Canucks like to provide an - ahem! - overview of relevant Canadian
high-altitude rules/guidelines/etc. which apply to wave-based soaring flight
up there? Just curious...

Thanks, eh!

Bob W.

---
https://www.avg.com

Old December 21st 18, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

For a lot more about flying the Chinook wave see the online book ‘Stalking the Mountain Wave’ which is linked from the article that was linked to at the top of this thread.
Old December 21st 18, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

Canada's major impediment to long range wave flights is Class B airspace 12,500 to 18,000. There's limited elbow room between the airways, terminal areas and terminal routes. For Class B you need a clearance plus Mode C and altimeter calibrated in the last 24 months.

My rear gets twitchy at 12,500 considering some peaks exceed 11,500.

Over Cowley we can open a wave window, but the Class A playpen has finite dimensions and we have to remain clear of Class B V300 and a terminal route unless ATC lets us in.