Source for L'Hotellier Safety Clips

Old January 16th 19, 05:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

Default Source for L'Hotellier Safety Clips

On Wednesday, January 16, 2019 at 9:33:57 AM UTC-5, Tango Eight wrote:
On Wednesday, January 16, 2019 at 9:05:29 AM UTC-5, Dan Daly wrote:
On Wednesday, January 16, 2019 at 8:32:07 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Monday, January 14, 2019 at 6:03:51 PM UTC-5, George Haeh wrote:
Any recommendations or vendors who stock them in North America?

Ok let me be a little clearer. These pins from Schempp or Schiecher are made in such a way that when installed on the Hotelier can't come off, can't be dropped They are installed on many ASW 19/20, Std Cirrus and can be easily connected blind. Not sure if you can go to the Yahoo site to see a picture unless you are a member but here ya go:

For a source in north America you can try Eastern Sailplane, Williams Soaring or M&H Soaring.

Colin

Neither T8's nor Colin's links work for me.

Hmmmm, sorry about that.

Here ya go. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yV...E8m65IybZ8Aagp

-Evan / T8

Got it, thanks very much!
Old January 17th 19, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Couple of comments;

- The pins/clips that I believe that you are referring to are pretty much standard aviation hardware. If I remember correct I used AN416-2 hardware. The diameter of the pin to fit into the hole in the L'Hotellier push latch may need looking into.

- As you are trying to feel your way to inserting the pins/clips within the darkness of the turtle deck void there seems to be a vortex that sucks these items into the belly of the beast which are then lost forever (or at least for a fortnight). Greasy fingers don't help. Ask me how I know. HINT: Tie a strong thin "lanyard" to each item to prevent this curse from befalling you.

The alternatives are to try one of the other types of L'Hotellier safeties list below;

1) For once-a-season rigging of a glider the use of aviation safety wire is perfectly legal.
2) The Schleicher "pin" as mentioned above. This stays in place on the L'Hotellier fitting. Simple and "aviation cheap". Unclear to me how these are initially first installed (versus used) - does a second hole need to be drilled into the body of the cup end?
3) A nylon "Eurling sleeve" AKA "LS Safety Sleeve". Tough to find these days it would seem. I believe that they only work on straight L'Hotellier fittings not the 90 degree kind. Also, I was told that these need to be replaced every X amount of time. YMMV.
4) A spring loaded "Wederkind" sleeve. I installed those on my old DG-101. Bought them from a dealer in the UK. Loved them. Very simple to use. The installation details and sources can be found at http://aviation.derosaweb.net/wedekind/.

Best of luck;

- John OHM Ω
Old January 17th 19, 10:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Senna Van den Bosch

Op donderdag 17 januari 2019 00:19:14 UTC+1 schreef OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net:
[...]

Hi John, I had contacted you via mail almost a year ago. I'm fitting Wedekind sleeves on my DG-101 right now, a lot easier thanks to your guide!

Senna, D-1339
Old January 29th 19, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

For those of us who have to use those blasted safety pins a bright flashlight makes putting them in pretty easy. They are not too bad if you can see what you’re doing. Trying to do it blind is difficult at best.

Do L'Hotellier Ball Fittings Wear? Casey[_2_] Soaring 32 April 15th 16 08:04 AM
Source of L'Hotellier Fittings? Six-Seven Romeo Soaring 2 September 1st 15 05:33 PM
l'Hotellier on EB28 rlovinggood Soaring 5 January 27th 08 12:32 PM
L'Hotellier [email protected] Soaring 5 September 9th 05 04:21 PM
Hotellier connections Mike Soaring 38 September 28th 04 04:30 PM