contest number question

Old November 14th 07, 09:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kloudy via AviationKB.com

Default contest number question

Udo wrote:
Why would you call the other pilot if you see him?

So I can tell him that an ATR, Piper, Cessna (add your brand here) is about
to run his ass down.

Nearly happened to me. And I appreciate the fella who let me know.

Old November 14th 07, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ken Kochanski (KK)

Perhaps we should have on the top of the wing as well - safety
benefits are small - smile generation benefits are high ... :-)

Old November 14th 07, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kloudy via AviationKB.com

J a c k wrote:
Why would you call the other pilot if you see him?

The fact that radio procedures are normally too informal and
undisciplined is a different problem. It does not justify reluctance to
trade useful information.

Jack

Thanks Jack. That was very well said. I fully agree.

Old November 15th 07, 09:46 AM
bagmaker bagmaker is offline
Senior Member

Location: Melbourne Australia

I haven't even looked, but I'm guessing there is still a requirement in
the contest "rules" to have contest numbers under the wing, etc.

I'm thinking of removing my under wing contest number and not replacing
it - is anyone aware of any contest where not having a contest number
under the wing has been an issue? With GPS scoring, I'm betting this is
a moot point.

TIA

Gary

The underside of the wing is also the high pressure airflow side.

What does the lettering do to the performance of the wing?
Possibly OK if its crayon, but thick tape? yucko

Bagger
Old November 15th 07, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_1_]

Ken Kochanski (KK) wrote:
Perhaps we should have on the top of the wing as well - safety
benefits are small - smile generation benefits are high ... :-)

Not in the UK on a glass glider - BGA rules forbid it (dark areas
inboard of the tip). IIRC the same applies in the US.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old February 1st 18, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jamie Shore

Is anybody aware of any contest committee talk (or actual rule change) of the Under-the-Wing-Contest-ID requirement going away in the US?

I've heard..
"..IGC does not require any more competition signs on the wing,.."

SSA Website says..
http://www.ssa.org/ContestCommittee?show=blog&id=1552

Thanks,
Jamie Shore

Old February 1st 18, 08:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, February 1, 2018 at 1:38:21 PM UTC-5, Jamie Shore wrote:
Is anybody aware of any contest committee talk (or actual rule change) of the Under-the-Wing-Contest-ID requirement going away in the US?

I've heard..
"..IGC does not require any more competition signs on the wing,.."

SSA Website says..
http://www.ssa.org/ContestCommittee?show=blog&id=1552

Thanks,
Jamie Shore

No rule change is contemplated. We believe being able to easily identify a competitor can enhance safety.
UH
Old February 2nd 18, 12:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

On Thursday, February 1, 2018 at 11:38:21 AM UTC-7, Jamie Shore wrote:
Is anybody aware of any contest committee talk (or actual rule change) of the Under-the-Wing-Contest-ID requirement going away in the US?

I've heard..
"..IGC does not require any more competition signs on the wing,.."

SSA Website says..
http://www.ssa.org/ContestCommittee?show=blog&id=1552

Thanks,
Jamie Shore

I second UH's statement. Under wing numbers are no longer used for scoring but for glider to glider identification and communication. Hard to tell YY he/she is about to hit you if you don't know who it is. "White glider, I am on your right" does not work in a contest Read and follow the rules for size and color. We have too many gliders with light grey number colors and script letters that are not legal at contests. As JJ said ten years ago, we have one Diana that should not be allowed to fly because of script contest ID, but he is easy to identify. For fun we could file a protest at a contest just to make those without proper ID scramble.

Old February 3rd 18, 03:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
James Hamilton[_2_]

At 00:10 02 February 2018, Tim Taylor wrote:
On Thursday, February 1, 2018 at 11:38:21 AM UTC-7, Jamie Shore wrote:
Is anybody aware of any contest committee talk (or actual rule change)

of=
the Under-the-Wing-Contest-ID requirement going away in the US?
=20
I've heard..
"..IGC does not require any more competition signs on the wing,.."
=20
SSA Website says..
http://www.ssa.org/ContestCommittee?...blog&id=3D1552
=20
Thanks,=20

=
am on your right" does not work in a contest Read and follow the rules
for=
size and color. We have too many gliders with light grey number colors
an=
d script letters that are not legal at contests. As JJ said ten years
ago,=
we have one Diana that should not be allowed to fly because of script
cont=
est ID, but he is easy to identify. For fun we could file a protest at a
c=
ontest just to make those without proper ID scramble.=20

Would anyone care to define this statement from the SSA site regarding the

size of contest numbers: "â—¦Numbers shall be as large as possible
consistent with form C position and clearance requirements."?

Old February 3rd 18, 03:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

6.2.2 The Contest ID shall be displayed in a contrasting color on both sides of the vertical tail (minimum height 12 inches) and
under the right wing (bottom of ID toward the trailing edge of the wing; minimum height is the smaller of 24 inches or 90% of the
wing chord excluding a control surface).