USAF(?) unit patch ID

Old April 6th 04, 05:15 PM
Joe Osman

"ArVa" wrote in message

"Allen Thomson" a écrit dans le message de
om...
Anybody know what this is or was?

http://www.darkstar.ukonline.co.uk/patch2.jpg

You might try this impressive site : http://www.usafpatches.com, but you'd
better brew a gallon of coffee first as there are literally thousands of
patches (some of them, expecially the "morale" ones, are gems). The guy's
"want list" is still pretty long though, so maybe you should also ask him.

ArVa

Save your time. It's the patch of the Vatican's Joint Jesuit/Benedictine
Strike Force out of the Holy Trinity Monastery in St. David, Arizona.

Joe

Old April 6th 04, 05:35 PM
Yeff

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 12:15:34 -0400, Joe Osman wrote:

Save your time. It's the patch of the Vatican's Joint Jesuit/Benedictine
Strike Force out of the Holy Trinity Monastery in St. David, Arizona.

And since you blabbed it all over Usenet they'll have to kill you.

-Jeff B. (putting the shiny side out and sipping non-fluoridated water)
yeff at erols dot com
Old April 6th 04, 08:42 PM
Allen Thomson

"ArVa" wrote

You might try this impressive site : http://www.usafpatches.com,

Done, at the suggestion of someone upthread. Patch submitted for ID
or posting.

but you'd better brew a gallon of coffee first as there are literally
thousands of patches (some of them, expecially the "morale" ones, are
gems).

I spent most of yesterday morning enjoying the site. A couple of
patches seem to have escaped from BYEMAN channels, somewhat to my
surprise. (An NRO launch patch showing a DRAGON holding a CRYSTAL
-- what could that ever be?)
Old April 6th 04, 09:58 PM
ZZBunker

"George Z. Bush" wrote in message ...
"Allen Thomson" wrote in message
om...
Ed Rasimus wrote:

"George Z. Bush" wrote:

Just as a WAG, I think it's probably safe to say that whatever
its origins, they are more than likely NOT American.

I thought that initially as well,

BTW, just out of curiosity, honest question, what is there
about the patch that calls into doubt its American provenance?

Let's turn the thing around. What is there about the patch that establishes its
American provenance? Whatever the language in use is, it doesn't even appear to
be English!

Nothing. Latin is neither an American, British, nor
Air Force provenance. It's an army provenance.
Old April 6th 04, 10:29 PM
Mary Shafer

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 13:07:40 GMT, Mike Williamson
wrote:

George wrote:
Mary Shafer wrote in message . ..

How about Holloman, not Davis-Monthan? There are F-117s at Holloman.

Mary

There's Air Force Spec Ops at Davis Monthan.

Well, there are the rescue squadrons here, but I don't recall ever
seeing that patch here. On another note, Air Force unit patches
are typically (almost universally, as far as I have seen) round,
rather than triangular. The AZ National Guard units have a non-round
patch, but that is in the shape of the State of Arizona.

I think that's because round patches are cheaper. I used to be on the
Dryden Exchange Committee, which ran our gift shop, and that was
something we suggested to patch designers to keep costs down.

I have a translation from rec.org.sca now. The "de multe nocte noli
rogare" is, approximately, "Don't ask what we do late at night" and
"classis caece" is "invisible or secret military group or fleet",
which may be "stealth squadron".

So I'm going with the 49th at Holloman AFB.

Mary

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 00:04:46 -0400, "Brian M. Scott"
wrote:

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 17:05:14 -0400 Leigh
wrote in news:aSjcc.17163$of.7246@lakeread03 in
rec.org.sca:

Mary Shafer wrote:

There's a military patch that has many people in another newsgroup I
frequent quite curious. The standard of Latin scholarship is quite
low there, so I thought I ask here. You can see the patch at
http://www.darkstar.ukonline.co.uk/patch2.jpg.

Embroidered on the border of the black triangular patch is
CLASSIS CAECE (top point) DE MULTE NOCTE (bottom left)
NOLI ROGARE (bottom right), all readable in the usual orientation.
The phrases are separated by three ghosts or spooks, on the order of
the bullies in Casper, The center of the patch has a globe showing
the Americas with a star at about Holloman AFB (or any of a number of
other bases).

The combination of ghosts or spooks, the reference to "late at night"
(multe nocte), and the star have led me to believe that this patch is
that of some component of the 49th Air Wing, which flies the F-117 at
night from Holloman. I add this information purely as a guess, but
thought it might be helpful.

The spooks and CLASSIS CAECE 'invisible fleet' pretty
clearly mark it as the badge of some intelligence-oriented
unit, I should think.

I should mention that this may not be the best Latin in the world.

well, I'm not a latin scholar or anything (and the one online translation
website that did Latin English seems to have changed it's policy, *Sigh*),
but...

Looking at the patch I think you have to take DE MULTE NOCTE + NOLI ROGARE
as one unit which would be roughly:
'do not ask (what we do) in the course of/during many nights'

I think rather 'Do not ask (what we do) late at night'.

Best I could get out of CLASSIS CAECE was 'a hidden group of the military'
('Classis' being in one sense either 'group' or 'the armed forces' generally)

Mind you most of the words ending in 'e' should probably be ending in 'ae'
(at least when looking at the roots of the words that was the closest, at
least according to the interactive online latin dictionary I was looking
through).

Yes: where Classical Latin has ae, medieval Latin often
has just e, especially in inflexional endings.

Mary

Old April 7th 04, 04:04 AM
Allen Thomson

"Joe Osman" wrote

Save your time. It's the patch of the Vatican's Joint Jesuit/Benedictine
Strike Force out of the Holy Trinity Monastery in St. David, Arizona.

Heh. I grew up not far from St. David, we'd pass through it driving
to Tucson. A nice little place it was at the time (1950s-1960s).
Sometime around 1960 a bunch of folks set up an enclave near there
to await the Second Coming. Probably just a cover for the VJJBSF/HTM.

Of course, around the same time, another group was awaiting the S.C.
down on the border close to Ft. Huachuca. Those things were hard
to sort out.
Old April 7th 04, 05:51 AM
Fred J. McCall

:
:I think that's because round patches are cheaper. I used to be on the
ryden Exchange Committee, which ran our gift shop, and that was
:something we suggested to patch designers to keep costs down.
:
:I have a translation from rec.org.sca now. The "de multe nocte noli
:rogare" is, approximately, "Don't ask what we do late at night" and
:"classis caece" is "invisible or secret military group or fleet",
:which may be "stealth squadron".
:
:So I'm going with the 49th at Holloman AFB.

Probably right. I never paid attention to what was on it, but I could
swear that at least one F-117 squadron has the triangular patches. I
happened to spend some time sitting in a large room where there were
also some green bags from a stealth squadron.

The Navy also uses at least some triangular patches, by the way. I
used to wear one.

--
"This is a war of the unknown warriors; but let all strive
without failing in faith or in duty...."

-- Winston Churchill
Old April 7th 04, 05:59 AM
Larry

The Navy also uses at least some triangular patches, by the way. I
used to wear one.

Yes Fred, Navy "Wing" patches are triangular.

Larry
AECS (AW/SW/MTS)
Disabled Combat Veteran
USN 'Retired'

"Fred J. McCall" wrote in message
news

Old April 7th 04, 07:29 AM
Mike Williamson

Dweezil Dwarftosser wrote:

I've never been in a USAF wing with an emblem that didn't
display the wing motto in Latin. I've seen one or two
historical unit patches that had the motto in French
- but these units likely had originated there in WW I.
....NEVER in English.

Well, I wish I could say the same, but the 355th Wing
at DM has their motto in English-- "Our Might Always,"
which might actually sound decent in Latin, but is
absolutely awful sitting there in English on the
patch...

Mike

Oil Temperature sending unit Corky Scott Home Built 2 October 19th 04 12:58 AM
bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 05:26 PM
D.C. Air Guard Unit Flies New 737s Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 January 15th 04 12:12 AM
A-4 / A-7 Question Tank Fixer Military Aviation 135 October 25th 03 03:59 AM
Chevy 4.3 L V-6 and Misbehaving Engine Control Unit Bushy Home Built 6 August 18th 03 09:33 AM