Can't see NASA shuttle pic

Old August 13th 08, 09:43 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Casey Tompkins

Default unpacking RAR was:Can't see NASA shuttle pic

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 20:31:49 -0700, Hap wrote:

To clarify authenticity and recovery options are available in WinRAR
but TMK it isn't able to make use of .par2 files. A person would want
QuickPar to first rejoin the .rar volumes back to a single 4.7GB (!!)
.rar, and then use WinRAR or it's equivalent to unpack the archive.
I'd be interested to know if something has changed.

No, you don't need the .par files, nor do you need to rebuild it into
one giant .RAR files. Just (assuming you want to burn the bandwidth)
d/l all the parts, right-click on part1, and select "Extract files."

I agree that more than one .RAR would have been more workable. That's
one big puppy.

Old August 13th 08, 09:47 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Peter Hucker[_2_]

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 20:43:29 GMT, Casey Tompkins
wrote:

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 20:31:49 -0700, Hap wrote:

To clarify authenticity and recovery options are available in WinRAR
but TMK it isn't able to make use of .par2 files. A person would want
QuickPar to first rejoin the .rar volumes back to a single 4.7GB (!!)
.rar, and then use WinRAR or it's equivalent to unpack the archive.
I'd be interested to know if something has changed.

No, you don't need the .par files, nor do you need to rebuild it into
one giant .RAR files. Just (assuming you want to burn the bandwidth)
d/l all the parts, right-click on part1, and select "Extract files."

I agree that more than one .RAR would have been more workable. That's
one big puppy.

I was missing 15 parts. Quickpar ran through it and recreated those
parts using the pars. It did NOT create a huge rar file.

Reboot - to kick a computer in such a way that it turns off and then on again.
Old August 13th 08, 11:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
hielan' laddie

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 16:47:16 -0400, Peter Hucker wrote
(in article ):

wrote:

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 20:31:49 -0700, Hap wrote:

To clarify authenticity and recovery options are available in WinRAR
but TMK it isn't able to make use of .par2 files. A person would want
QuickPar to first rejoin the .rar volumes back to a single 4.7GB (!!)
.rar, and then use WinRAR or it's equivalent to unpack the archive.
I'd be interested to know if something has changed.

No, you don't need the .par files, nor do you need to rebuild it into
one giant .RAR files. Just (assuming you want to burn the bandwidth)
d/l all the parts, right-click on part1, and select "Extract files."

I agree that more than one .RAR would have been more workable. That's
one big puppy.

I was missing 15 parts. Quickpar ran through it and recreated those
parts using the pars. It did NOT create a huge rar file.

I may have caused confusion when I said 'stitch together' the .rars. WinRAR
doesn't generate a single huge .rar, it just uses the .par info to replace
the bad/missing .rars and then decodes the whole thing.

I don't see what the moaning and groaning is about. I set a filter in my
newsreader which would look for binary data in any post with 'NASA Shuttle
Pics' in it, download that binary data to a folder named 'NASA Shuttle Pics',
and delete the post when done. I checked the folder periodically until I saw
a bunch of .pars in there, then I double-clicked on one of them and MacPAR
deLuxe launched, verified the .pars, assembled the .rars, fixed a few
corrupt/missing .rars, verified the .rars, and decoded the result. I've spent
more time typing up this post to this point than I did to download the Very
Large Number of excellent quality pix. (Thanks, J3, and ignore the
nay-sayers. They have no clue what they're talking about.)

IMHO a proper newsreader does proper filtering; Hogwasher, the newsreader I
use on Macs, for example can filter on _any_ header, can filter for binaries
or text, can generate a folder, save binaries (or text) to that folder, and
do various other things. (This includes tagging the posts of people I
particularly want to read, or _don't_ want to read, with colour, so I can be
sure to read 'em or avoid 'em as necessary. It includes outright killing of
posts, and of course it includes saving a copy of a post, headers and all, to
disk. That last can be very useful when some bozo denies that he said
something...) There are lots of other newsreaders which have equal or better
filtering, for both Mac and Windows. (Sorry, don't know Linux. Tuxers will
have to find such newsreaders for themselves.)

If I had decided that I didn't what to download the pix, I'd simply not have
bothered with the filter. If the sight of .rars in the pristine confines of
a.b.p.a so upset me that I couldn't stand it, setting up a kill filter would
have been even easier than setting up a save filter.

A proper newsreader will read/write common formats used on usenet... which
includes YENC.

There are a rather large number of proper newsreaders which are free or
cheap. Those who, for whatever reason, decline to use a proper newsreader and
who then complain about something which would be cured if they had a proper
newsreader will get no sympathy from me.

Having got the files on disk, WinRAR or QuickPAR or MacPAR deLuxe or any of
several other apps would have decoded it by my simply double-clicking one of
the .pars.

Old August 14th 08, 06:27 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bo[_2_]

You guys have too much time on your hands! Lets get real here.. Most of us
like Outlook Express and don't care or have the time for the detailed,
special doodahs.

Old August 14th 08, 12:01 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
hielan' laddie

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 01:27:55 -0400, Bo wrote
(in article ) :

You guys have too much time on your hands! Lets get real here.. Most of us
like Outlook Express and don't care or have the time for the detailed,
special doodahs.

Cool. By all means use the newsreader you like to use.

But then don't complain when others use features of proper newsreaders which
you don't have because you elected to use a crippled newsreader.

Old August 14th 08, 07:04 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Lee[_2_]

hielan' laddie wrote in
:

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 01:27:55 -0400, Bo wrote
(in article ) :

You guys have too much time on your hands! Lets get real here..
Most of us like Outlook Express and don't care or have the time for
the detailed, special doodahs.

Cool. By all means use the newsreader you like to use.

But then don't complain when others use features of proper newsreaders
which you don't have because you elected to use a crippled newsreader.

Amen, Amen, Amen. You go, bro!

Anyone who uses Outlook Express to do just about anything is
just begging for trouble.

Old August 14th 08, 07:10 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Peter Hucker[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Can it filter on body? That's something I've only seen Opera do,
which is very useful.

__NNNNL_.
JNNNNNNNNNNN.
NNNNNNNNNNNNNN)
JNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN.
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN)
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN)
NNNN""NNNNF"4NNN)
(NN NN) (NN
4N. .NNL JN`
NNNNNN(NNNNN)
NNNNN (NNNN)
"NNNNNNF`
N.NNNN`N`
(NL___NN
_. `NNNNF
(NNN. `NN` JNN
(NNNNL .NNNN
.NNNNNNNNL. .JNNNNNNL
`NN" `"NNNNNL.JNNNN"` 4NN
`4NNNNN"
.JNNNNNNN.
.NNNN" `NNNNL
_NNNNNNN" `NNNNNNL.
(NNNNNNF `NNNNNN
4NNNNN (NNF"
`" ``
Old August 14th 08, 07:10 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Peter Hucker[_2_]

wrote:
:

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 20:31:49 -0700, Hap wrote:

To clarify authenticity and recovery options are available in WinRAR
but TMK it isn't able to make use of .par2 files. A person would want
QuickPar to first rejoin the .rar volumes back to a single 4.7GB (!!)
.rar, and then use WinRAR or it's equivalent to unpack the archive.
I'd be interested to know if something has changed.

No, you don't need the .par files, nor do you need to rebuild it into
one giant .RAR files. Just (assuming you want to burn the bandwidth)
d/l all the parts, right-click on part1, and select "Extract files."

You're right of course thanks for taking time to make the correction
and apologies for the error.

In fact I took a look at the web site to see what the latest is and it
says WinRAR now "supports files and archives up to 8,589 billion
gigabytes in size". Obviously that's a little big for obf on any
system. Thanks again.

If only all programs looked that far in advance.

I agree that more than one .RAR would have been more workable. That's
one big puppy.

To confirm the discontinuation of stopping the startup, click cancel.
Old August 15th 08, 07:16 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
hielan' laddie

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 14:10:02 -0400, Peter Hucker wrote
(in article ):

wrote:

[...]

Yep. It can filter on _anything_. And the filters can be as complex or as
simple as you like. The Hog isn't even the best at filtering; MT-Newswatcher,
on Mac, has better filters, and Agent, on Windows, has at least as good,
better in some ways. (Free Agent is deliberately crippled. If you want the
full abilities, you have to give Forte money. But it's not much money.) The
Hog does well enough for most purposes. If I want _serious_ filtering, I dig
out MTNW or Agent.

Allegedly Thoth, another Mac newsreader, has even better filters than MTNW,
but using Thoth means dealing with Brian Clarke and hell will freeze over
before I give that scumbag one penny. I'll use MSOE before I'll use Thoth...
and there's no way that I'll use MSOE.

Old August 15th 08, 06:54 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Peter Hucker[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

I don't filter that much, but I ahve a few useful ones. Opera allows
filtering on body. Agent does regular expressions. Although I have
never understood regular expressions.

Women do not snore, burp, sweat, or fart.
Therefore, they must "bitch" or they will blow up.