2005 SSA Handicaps Posted

Old April 21st 05, 03:28 PM
Brian

Learning is fun.

And yes my preferred strategy is to try to start 1st and then use all
the other gliders as Markers as they Pass me.

The only problem with this is when the finish 45 minutes ahead of me, I
know they are 45 minutes a head of me.

A little complicated but it might be fun to try a contest where the
start time was based on you handicap. Lowest handicaps starts 1st, in
such a way that theoretically everyone would arrive at the finish line
at the same time. So if that ASW27 finishs before you he has beat you.
I you finish before him, your the winner. Would make for some fun
finishes, It would be interesting to see how close the races really
are.

Brian

Old April 22nd 05, 04:54 AM
F.L. Whiteley

I think that's part of what Bill meant by wuss tasks.

I tend to agree. I objected long ago to the beercans.

My current objection is to the 86 point limit on Regional Sports.

Frank

John Sinclair wrote:

GPS has sure solved a lot of problems with start and
finish gates. Remember trying to figure your start
time interval for the shortest first leg? You had to
make the STI match a first turn point that you weren't
real sure you would be using. Oh, yes, it was the distance
to the first turn divided by your HCF. Fun days, lots
of head-down in the cockpit stuff. I do believe picking
a triangle that was at least your minimum distance
was a real challenge. Now days we just follow the clouds
and or other sailplanes into one turn area and then
another, let the computer tell us when to head for
home. Where's the challenge?
JJ
Sorta off topic, but who remembers those awful speed-limited
gates with
a pyramid sight, a finish gate and a speed gate? I
worked one or two of
those at Minden in, what was it, early 1980s?

What with wind, altitude, and CAS/TAS/IAS conversions,
it was a mess.
It seemed that nobody was sorry to see them eliminated.

Bob K.