Jim's EAA Platform '05

Old July 6th 05, 06:55 PM
RST Engineering

Default Jim's EAA Platform '05

You all asked for it...here you go...(newsgroups flatten out subparagraph
indentation)

EAA Board of Directors 2005 Platform

Jim Weir, EAA 86698

1. I bring to this Board the experience of 3000+ flight and flight
instruction hours, restoring 3 classic aircraft from spinner to tailfeathers
as an A&P, IA, the founder and chief engineer of a 35 year old avionics
company dedicated to owner-built homebuilt aircraft electronics, and eight
years on the county elected board with the responsibility for a $100 million
budget, 800 employees, and 1000 square miles of land mass.

2. If I have a particular focus and passion, it is education. I note with
interest that EAA has established three entry-level education programs:

a. The Young Eagles program and website
b. EAA Air Academy
c. Aeroscholars.

i. One of the problems I note with these three programs is that they are
all reactive. That is, it requires effort on the part of the participant to
become involved. My thought would be to have a passive program geared to
the K-8 system that would involve aviation materials integrated into the
basic curriculum. That is, we all remember reading about John and Jane
going to visit their uncle in the country. How did they get there? Drive,
of course. Thus, the student grows up believing that automobiles are the
natural way to travel. Or bus. Or train. Never once did the concept of
flying in a light aircraft enter the elementary school curriculum. Once you
"grab" a young student and have them "grow up" with the thought that
aircraft is a natural way to travel you have a built-in candidate for their
Young Eagle and Air Academy years.

ii. Of course, this naturally folds into making aneroid barometers /
altimeters in science class, papier-mâché airport dioramas in art class,
weight and balance in mathematics class, and all the rest of it. One of the
problems I foresee with this program is that elementary school teachers
expect a fully-fledged curriculum-in-a-box that can be used with minimal
effort. Part of the true work setting up this program is to understand what
the needs of the faculty are and to meet or exceed them. I note with
approval the Fox Valley program, but also observe that this effort is
enjoyed by a very few (1600) students.

iii. I also note with some regret that both the Air Academy and
Aeroscholars are geared towards the privileged students who can afford to
pay for the program. While local chapters certainly can sponsor a
student(s) at both of these programs, I would suggest that a nationally
sponsored scholarship plan for both programs would allow disadvantaged
students with the "fire in their belly" for aviation to participate and
bring new blood into the aviation gene pool. (Yes, I am aware of the named
scholarships and internship program, but these programs are not well
advertised at all.)

3. Another deeply held interest is aircraft electronics, both historical
and modern. After all, avionics has been both my profession and my
avocation for nearly half a century. The museum has a smattering of
historical avionics, but nothing focused. I would propose that we find an
unused corner of the museum for some working, hands-on aviation electronics
and instrumentation that the museum visitor can touch, smell, and feel.

4. Last, but certainly not least, is my desire to have all segments of
aviation represented within the EAA umbrella. Certainly there is room
inside the EAA tent for anybody who has an enthusiasm for aviation to find
their niche in the organization. In the words of Lyndon Johnson, "I'd
rather have them all inside the tent spitting out than outside the tent
spitting in."

Thank you for your time and trouble.

Jim Weir
VP Engineering
RST Engineering

Old July 7th 05, 03:30 AM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"RST Engineering" wrote:

[...]

Here at Spruce Creek, we have a program called Wright Flight, at the
Middle School level. See http://WrightFlight.org/

It was started as a part of the Air Force Assn. and teaches individual
responsibility and leadership, using an aviation theme. It used examples
of famous aviators, from the Wrights, to Jimmy Doolittle, to the
astronauts to help mentor students. If a student raises his GPA (or, in
the case of honor students -- maintains his GPA) he/she gets an airplane
ride as a reward. Here, they get some exotic planes to fly in, so it is
really a reward.

We have combined the flight rewards portion of the program with EAA
Young Eagles, which is a win for all concerned. EAA National is aware of
this synergy, so it is not a new concept to them.

Good luck!

Old July 7th 05, 04:00 AM
RST Engineering

Agreed, but we need to market some sort of similar plan to the whole country
or we are doomed to the same old fat white guys (and I look in the mirror as
I say that) getting older and the aviation dream falling by the wayside.
The WHOLE COUNTRY.

Jim

Old July 7th 05, 02:09 PM
RST Engineering

I do fairly poorly with things that are nonspecific. If you have been
"screwed over" tell me specific areas and what you would like done about it.

I don't guarantee that I can do anything about the problem, but if I don't
have specifics I do guarantee that I canNOT solve the problem.

Jim

"sleepy6" wrote in message
And what about the UL community Jim? The EAA has screwed us over
pretty good so far. What is your position?

Old July 10th 05, 11:42 PM
skylark71

Jim you might want to check out www.eaacharterschool.com - EAA has done
more with school curriculum than you seem to be aware of.

Old July 11th 05, 02:44 AM
RST Engineering

I am aware. That is the Fox Valley program that reaches something on the
order of 1600 students. You have to "rent" the equipment and take a one day
training course. That is problematic for the teacher in East Undershirt
Alabama who will have to travel to Wisconsin to participate. Perhaps an
expansion of that curriculum is the answer. I won't know until I get there.

"Renting" equipment is always a problem when you are trying to expand a
program. Doing it with tin cans, chewing gum, and kite twine has always
been my goal.

Thanks...

Jim

oups.com...

Old July 11th 05, 03:11 AM
sleepy6

Did you ever get around to decideing on your position about UL?

Hardware and software for motion platform [email protected] Home Built 0 November 4th 04 10:57 PM
Flying Platform Ballchain Home Built 1 October 7th 04 10:17 PM
flying platform Bill3 Home Built 5 October 5th 04 07:00 PM
Global Hawk Weather Platform? [email protected] Military Aviation 2 September 10th 04 02:20 PM
172P vs 172R for instrument platform..... Jonathan Instrument Flight Rules 6 July 22nd 04 01:52 AM