Talk about the high cost of aviation!

Old August 9th 03, 02:53 PM
C J Campbell

Default Talk about the high cost of aviation!

A local limo driver managed to back into the wingtip of a Falcon jet the
other day, bending the wingtip slightly. The small piece of aluminum,
containing mountings for the wingtip lights, had to be replaced. None of the
lights, the wiring, the light cover, or any other part of the airplane was
damaged.

This little piece of aluminum cost $27,000. It cost $8,000 to install it.
You know, you can buy a pretty nice car for $35,000. Or even an airplane.

When I studied economics in college, I learned about reverse demand curves:
there are some luxury items that the demand increases when the price goes
up, diamonds and perfume being classic examples. Some of these jets look to
me like they are being priced like jewelry. Car & Driver several years ago
reviewed an exotic sports car that had a wing on the back. C&D called it the
"Hyundai wing" because if it was damaged, the cost of replacement was more
than that of a new Hyundai. So, what, we call the Falcon's wingtip the
"Explorer wingtip?"

--
Christopher J. Campbell
World Famous Flight Instructor

For the Homeland!

Old August 9th 03, 04:03 PM
karl gruber

******there are some luxury items that the demand increases when the price
goes up*******

We learned a long time ago not to put good fresh expensive coffee aboard the
airplane. Demand goes up and the coffee is completely consumed. Then there
are complaints about not enough coffee.

From that day forward only the worst FBO made coffee went aboard. It tasted
terrible, but never ran out. We never had a single further complaint.

Karl

Old August 9th 03, 04:19 PM
Wizard of Draws

karl gruber wrote:

We learned a long time ago not to put good fresh expensive coffee aboard the
airplane. Demand goes up and the coffee is completely consumed. Then there
are complaints about not enough coffee.

From that day forward only the worst FBO made coffee went aboard. It tasted
terrible, but never ran out. We never had a single further complaint.

Karl

Great customer service Karl.
Why not go the extra step in the opposite direction and have more of the
good stuff? I find it hard to believe that providing good coffee for
your clients is a ball-busting expense.

It's been my experience in business that people are willing to pay a
premium for quality and customer service above and beyond the ordinary.
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino

"Cartoons with a Touch of Magic"
http://www.wizardofdraws.com
http://www.cartoonclipart.com
Old August 9th 03, 08:08 PM
Rosspilot

We learned a long time ago not to put good fresh expensive coffee aboard
the
airplane. Demand goes up and the coffee is completely consumed. Then there
are complaints about not enough coffee.

From that day forward only the worst FBO made coffee went aboard. It tasted
terrible, but never ran out. We never had a single further complaint.

Karl

Great customer service Karl.
Why not go the extra step in the opposite direction and have more of the
good stuff? I find it hard to believe that providing good coffee for
your clients is a ball-busting expense.

It's been my experience in business that people are willing to pay a
premium for quality and customer service above and beyond the ordinary.

At which end of the spectrum is your business?

You're either hauling cattle . . . the "no frills" type passenger who would
rather save $20.00 to buy a cheap ticket with no amenities (and there are lots
and lots of them--a huge market to be sure). This airline is not going to have
great coffee., and you aren't going to expect it. ANY coffee is a surprise.

Or you're in the business of transporting your *clients* as comfortably, and
cordially as is possible. You want them to come back to you EVERY time they
fly. You are appealing to the segment of the market that has money, and wants
to travel "pampered" and in luxury. This coffee HAS to be good. If it isn't,
you should bitch.

This is not anything new in my view.

www.Rosspilot.com

Old August 9th 03, 09:43 PM
Craig

"C J Campbell" wrote in message ...

a bunch snipped from here....

If it was a Falcon 20, there is a mandatory set of inspections on the
gear and the wing attach area and spar for any impact outboard a
certain wing station. We had one of ours hit hard enough to damage the
aileron, and it spun the aircraft about 5 degrees. Total cost was in
excess of 275,000$, and we lost the use of the aircraft for nearly
three weeks. And yes, that was our direct costs, as we were a Falcon
repair station and able to handle everything but the x-ray work.

Craig C.

Old August 9th 03, 10:39 PM
Tom S.

"Rosspilot" wrote in message
We learned a long time ago not to put good fresh expensive coffee

aboard
the
airplane. Demand goes up and the coffee is completely consumed. Then

there
are complaints about not enough coffee.

From that day forward only the worst FBO made coffee went aboard. It

tasted
[...]

Our partners gave up the executive on-call charter service and now fly a CJ1
and just stock soda's on board. Their cost is about 1/3 or 1/2 of the
charter operators that provided "Red Carpet" service. Of course, we're
hardly a Fortune 500 firm. :~)

Old August 10th 03, 01:56 AM
Wizard of Draws

Rosspilot wrote:

[...]

From my point of view, clients are not to be taken lightly, regardless
of type. It's the little things that customers appreciate and remember.

If clients only wanted bare bones, there would be no market for mom &
pop hardware stores, Home Depot and Lowes would be all that we need. But
smart mom and pop hardware stores _do_ thrive in the neighborhoods of
many of the big boxes, by providing the level of service that HD/Lowes
is unable to. They don't handle luxury or pampered clients, just Joe
Schmo.

Karls' clients have provided him with an insight into their desires, and
he responded by doing exactly the opposite. I don't understand this way
of doing business at all.
Customer service is #1, period. _Exploit_ your knowledge of the clients
wants and needs, don't ignore it.

Old August 10th 03, 02:04 AM
Newps

Wizard of Draws wrote:

If clients only wanted bare bones, there would be no market for mom &
pop hardware stores, Home Depot and Lowes would be all that we need. But
smart mom and pop hardware stores _do_ thrive in the neighborhoods of
many of the big boxes, by providing the level of service that HD/Lowes
is unable to.

Are you kidding? At least around here Home Depot and Lowe's hires
plumbers for the plumbing department and electricians for the electrical
and lighting departments, etc. Go to the Mom and Pop shops like Ace and
Hardware Hank and if you don't get the owner you'll get some high school
kid and you'll be lucky if he knows where the plumbing aisle is. If I
know what I want I'll go to Ace, because it's closer. And I'll pay more
by the way. If I need help I'll stick with Lowe's and HD.

Old August 10th 03, 02:15 AM
vincent p. norris

When I studied economics in college, I learned about reverse demand curves:
there are some luxury items that the demand increases when the price goes
up,

I'll bet your prof tried his damndest to get you to remember that it's
the *quantity* that goes up, not the demand. "Demand" is the
*relationship* between price and quantity, and consequently is not
itself affected by price changes.

(Just nit-picking, but after grading papers for 34 years, it's hard to
quit.)

But in this case, I suspect it's the monopoly position of the supplier
that explains the high price. Many years ago, someone calculated what
a plain old Chevy would cost if one bought all the parts and assembled
it himself. Far and away more than the price of the car.

vince norris
Old August 10th 03, 02:31 AM
Mike Rapoport

Falcon parts are notoriously expensive. The whole airplane is held together
with titanium screws that cost $8 apiece.

Mike
MU-2