OT (sort of): CBS revisited

Old February 3rd 04, 03:27 AM
Tarver Engineering

"Nomen Nescio" ] wrote in message

From: "Jim Fisher"

I'll be the first to say that a woman's breast doesn't not exactly offend

me
under most circumstances.

However, it's obscene when you are watching the SuperBowl with a

half-dozen
of your ten year-old's buddies and that kinda crap happens. After it was
over, the silence from those kids was deafening.

I'm surprised that everyone is fixated on a tit.
I had a real problem with the "rap" number where a couple of ni...., er,

um, dark
skinned urbanites, kept grabbing their dicks. Glad I don't have kids that

I have
to explain that to.
I don't remember much of the second half of the game. Everyone was

talking about
what a disgusting piece of **** the halftime show was.

Kid Rock wearing the US flag with the blue on the right offended me. I
can't say I care about Janet's hooter.

Old February 3rd 04, 03:47 AM
G.R. Patterson III

C J Campbell wrote:

I guess exposing a breast is obscene, but inciting the public to violence
against airplanes and pilots is not.

My father told me about a similar bruhaha in the thirties. The local (Hickory, NC)
paper picked it up and announced that they wanted to do a survey. They printed a
photo of a breast on the front page, announced that they would print the name of
the owner the next week, and invited comments.

Much of the entire paper for the next week consisted of irate letters from various
righteous readers complaining about the "pornography". There was talk of closing
the paper down. Then came the weekend.

The photo was of Johnny Weismuller.

George Patterson
Love, n.: A form of temporary insanity afflicting the young. It is curable
either by marriage or by removal of the afflicted from the circumstances
under which he incurred the condition. It is sometimes fatal, but more
often to the physician than to the patient.
Old February 3rd 04, 04:46 AM
Jim Fisher

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
you'd better be well into the explanations by now
if your son is watching that crap.

That's just it, Peter, he does not watch that crap. He sure likes football
and the Panthers. Next year, I will definately plan some occupying events
for haltime . . . And keep MTV out of my house for a few more years.

No kid would even
care, if it weren't for the fact that their parents are always having a

fit
whenever any skin shows up.

You are exposing your obtuse ignorance again, Pete. Of COURSE kids care
about that crap! Most would stare at naked pictures all day long if they
could. Even at ten years old. They would eat only ice cream, stay up late,
forgo school and live in a fort unless someone who has some semblance of
values tightens their reins and demonstrates boundaries of manners and
taste.

So how many kids do you have, Peter?

--
Jim Fisher

Old February 3rd 04, 05:03 AM
Dave Stadt

"John Harlow" wrote in message
C J Campbell wrote:
Now the FCC is investigating CBS for broadcasting obscene material.
BWAHAHAHA!

I guess exposing a breast is obscene,

What the hell is wrong with an entire country where showing a woman's

breast
is "obscene"?

The USA is such the embarassment to me sometimes; lately more often than
not.

And hardly a word about the guy that got killed by the SUV during the lunacy
in Boston. Pretty strange priorities if you ask me. A boob is more
newsworthy than a murder. Wanna bet CBS gets a stiffer sentence than the
murderer.

Old February 3rd 04, 05:29 AM
Peter Duniho

"Jim Fisher" wrote in message
.. .
That's just it, Peter, he does not watch that crap.

I don't get it. If he doesn't watch that crap, how'd he see the breast in
question?

You are exposing your obtuse ignorance again, Pete. Of COURSE kids care
about that crap! Most would stare at naked pictures all day long if they
could. Even at ten years old.

I didn't say they wouldn't. I said it's primarily because of the way their
parents react to even the slightest hint of nudity. If you want to reply to
posts that weren't written, I'll just leave you to that and not even bother
trying to clear things up for you.

So how many kids do you have, Peter?

One. What's that got to do with anything? You don't need to have a child
to understand how the way society in general reacts to, and allows to be
broadcast, any variety of potentially offensive subjects affects how
children (and people in general) react to those potentially offensive
subjects.

There are lots of societies where an exposed breast is no big deal, and
where children aren't shocked by them. The USA just doesn't happen to be
one of them.

Pete

Old February 3rd 04, 05:30 AM
Peter Duniho

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message
[...] The photo was of Johnny Weismuller.

lol...

And if that story is actually true, it's even funnier.

Old February 3rd 04, 06:03 AM
C J Campbell

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message

| One exposed breast is NOT "the ways of women". And the sexuality seen in
| the rest of the show (and similar performances, in music videos and the
| like) is such an enormously obscene caricature of what really happens
| between consenting adults, you'd better be well into the explanations by
now
| if your son is watching that crap.

I did not watch that crap and I avoid it wherever it is on display. I doubt
if my son or daughter saw it, either.

| The reaction of hundreds of millions of prudish adults speaks way more
| loudly than a single breast would ever have a hope to. No kid would even
| care, if it weren't for the fact that their parents are always having a
fit
| whenever any skin shows up. Of course, those parents usually don't have
any
| problem at all with their kids playing Halo and Mortal Kombat, or watching
| people (bad guys and good) getting shot up and blown up on TV.

As a matter of fact, I do care about kids playing violent video games, and
my kids now care about their kids. Neither my kids nor their children even
own a video game player.

Old February 3rd 04, 06:17 AM
StellaStar

Sydney observes...
It's OK to have a halftime show featuring some dude
wrapped in an American flag and singing all kinds of "nasty" but
a little tit has everyone in a tither?

Yup. What a humorous way to yank the news channels away from politics for a
day. Ya hire MTV to stage a spectacle and they put in rude behavior, bad
language, and scantily clad chickies? Well, knock me over with a feather! Next
year they'll retain Victoria's Secret to do the show, and never suspect there
may be underwear involved.
Old February 3rd 04, 08:19 AM
Peter Duniho

"C J Campbell" wrote in message
As a matter of fact, I do care about kids playing violent video games, and
my kids now care about their kids. Neither my kids nor their children even
own a video game player.

Which is great. You are one of those rare parents that supervises and
censors their children in a consistent manner. That has nothing to do with
how most parents raise their kids in this country, nor with the attitude
most people in this country have regarding sex and violence.

I applaud your hard-nosed, honorable approach to parenting. But the uproar
over the exposed breast is still absurd, given the context.

Pete

Old February 3rd 04, 12:00 PM
Thomas Borchert

C,

You have to draw the line somewhere.

You do? What happened to the "land of the free" concept? There's an
off-switch on that TV, you know?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)