The price of gas

Old May 18th 04, 11:03 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"Cub Driver" wrote in message
On Mon, 17 May 2004 19:13:22 -0700, Flyin'8 wrote:

Don't know where you are living, but where I am at the price is over
$2.50 / gal.

You should speak to your state legislators. Gas downtown is $1.9599.
Nationwide it is about the same, last I read (day before yesterday).

Adjust the figures according to account for greedy legislatures. Your
gas would have to rise to north of $3 to be equivalent to 1982.

Hmmm...and Al Gore and John Kerry have BOTH (among many others) said that we
should be paying $4-$5 a gallon like they do in Europe.

Old May 18th 04, 02:29 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Jim Fisher wrote:

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Yeah, but will we be able to afford all that cool technology?

It doesn't become "viable" until oil is unaffordable.

Probably not, Jay. I would like to think that capitalism will keep prices
in check. It's always worked in the past. I've no doubt it will work in
the future.

If you look at the history of similar items (petroleum is a good example), they start
off with pretty high prices and then get cheap as people switch over and economies of
scale come into play.

George Patterson
I childproofed my house, but they *still* get in.
Old May 18th 04, 02:35 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Cub Driver" wrote in message

I'm too young to comment on the 70's oil fiasco, but was there as much
doomsday talk back then about 'Peak Oil' as there seems to be today?

A great deal more. We all believed that the oil would be gone in 25
years. Doomsday is almost upon us.

Are you referring to the 1970's, or the 1870's? :~)

The same hyperbole was with us even then.

Old May 18th 04, 02:36 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Hear hear!

My common response to this "We're runnin' outta earl!" is that I just

can't
WAIT until oil becomes so damn expensive that alternative fuels

finally
become reality.

Yeah, but will we be able to afford all that cool technology?

It doesn't become "viable" until oil is unaffordable.

I want a nuclear powered F33A Bonanza.

Old May 18th 04, 02:44 PM
CVBreard

I want a nuclear powered F33A Bonanza.

In the 1950s (1960s?), there was a serious USAF project/study to use a nuclear
reactor to power a B-36..

Talk about long range / flight endurance records!

It was serious stuff, folks.
Old May 18th 04, 02:51 PM
Jay Honeck

It was serious stuff, folks.

It was a fascinating concept, but they simply couldn't work around the
problem of inevitable accidents.

"Nuclear Plane crashes -- Thousands Perish!" simply was unacceptable then --
and now.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 18th 04, 03:02 PM
CVBreard

Cost of refining is MUCH higher

Crude oil is roughly $1/gallon (a barrel of oil is 42 gallons).

Regular unleaded gasoline is about $1.40/gallon at the refinery loading dock.

The rest is taxes, transportation, taxes, profit at several levels and taxes.

The amazing thing is that they can take crude and transform it into motor
gasoline for just $0.40/gallon.

If you know what happens to crude (all the distilling and pumping and cracking
and hydro-treating and reforming and blending and testing and storing and
hauling and whatnot) before it gets to your gasoline tank, you might consider
it a small miracle that it's 'only' $2/gallon (including taxes).
Old May 18th 04, 03:37 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Flyin'8 wrote:

In 2004 dollars, the high was $2.50 a gallon. We are very unlikely to
reach that level.

Don't know where you are living, but where I am at the price is over
$2.50 / gal.

Wow! Regular mogas is a bit over $1.70/gal here in Joisey.

Old May 18th 04, 03:39 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"CVBreard" wrote in message
Cost of refining is MUCH higher

Crude oil is roughly $1/gallon (a barrel of oil is 42 gallons).

Regular unleaded gasoline is about $1.40/gallon at the refinery loading

dock.

The rest is taxes, transportation, taxes, profit at several levels and

taxes.

The amazing thing is that they can take crude and transform it into motor
gasoline for just $0.40/gallon.

If you know what happens to crude (all the distilling and pumping and

cracking
and hydro-treating and reforming and blending and testing and storing and
hauling and whatnot) before it gets to your gasoline tank, you might

consider
it a small miracle that it's 'only' $2/gallon (including taxes).

Hell, most people don't understand how bananas get to their grocery stores
Produce Department.

A few years back economist Walter Williams did three hours of a show as a
fill in for Rush Limbaugh. Some of the responses were hysterically funny.

Old May 18th 04, 03:42 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"CVBreard" wrote in message
Cost of refining is MUCH higher

Crude oil is roughly $1/gallon (a barrel of oil is 42 gallons).

Regular unleaded gasoline is about $1.40/gallon at the refinery loading

dock.

The rest is taxes, transportation, taxes, profit at several levels and

taxes.

The amazing thing is that they can take crude and transform it into motor
gasoline for just $0.40/gallon.

If you know what happens to crude (all the distilling and pumping and

cracking
and hydro-treating and reforming and blending and testing and storing and
hauling and whatnot) before it gets to your gasoline tank, you might

consider
it a small miracle that it's 'only' $2/gallon (including taxes).

Hell, the whole story of the exploration aspect is a wonder. (Nephew is a
Petroleum Geologist and he can lose you two minutes into the discussion).