World's Ugliest Plane?

Old January 8th 07, 11:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell[_1_]

Default World's Ugliest Plane?

Wall Street Journal today ran an article on the Boeing Large Cargo Freighter,
the "Dreamlifter." It is one ugly plane. A CFI and student in a Skyhawk were
darn near killed in November when they flew through the monster's wake
turbulence. They were flipped over and lost 1000 feet of altitude and pulled
out just 150 above the water. This thing has 65,000 cubic feet of cargo
capacity -- triple that of a 747. It will fly Dreamliner nose sections from
Wichita to Seattle for final assembly.

I still have not taken a picture of it. Heck, I've only been to Seattle once
since getting home. Definitely on my list of things to do.

Old January 8th 07, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

A CFI and student in a Skyhawk were
darn near killed in November when they flew through the monster's wake
turbulence. They were flipped over and lost 1000 feet of altitude and pulled
out just 150 above the water.

I'm venturing to say the same would have happened had they flown
through a normal 747s wake turbulence.

Old January 8th 07, 11:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kev

C J Campbell wrote:
Wall Street Journal today ran an article on the Boeing Large Cargo Freighter,
the "Dreamlifter." It is one ugly plane. [...]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_...argo_Freighter

Gives new meaning to taking it from behind...

Woof.

Old January 9th 07, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt

"Kev" wrote in message
oups.com...

C J Campbell wrote:
Wall Street Journal today ran an article on the Boeing Large Cargo
Freighter,
the "Dreamlifter." It is one ugly plane. [...]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_...argo_Freighter

Gives new meaning to taking it from behind...

I dunno, you guys. The Beluga sure isn't much of a looker and the Super
Guppy in the photo linked there looks like it's about to explode blow
popcorn all over the airfield. It looks like a blimp with wings on it, or
something from an Alien movie.

-c

Old January 9th 07, 12:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell[_1_]

On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 16:15:07 -0800, gatt wrote
(in article ):

"Kev" wrote in message
oups.com...

C J Campbell wrote:
Wall Street Journal today ran an article on the Boeing Large Cargo
Freighter,
the "Dreamlifter." It is one ugly plane. [...]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_...argo_Freighter

Gives new meaning to taking it from behind...

I dunno, you guys. The Beluga sure isn't much of a looker and the Super
Guppy in the photo linked there looks like it's about to explode blow
popcorn all over the airfield. It looks like a blimp with wings on it, or
something from an Alien movie.

Indeed. The competition for world's ugliest plane is stiff. The Wilga comes
to mind...

Still, the Large Cargo Freighter is a contender, is it not? Especially with
those two huge rear door arms sticking out of just one side of the fuselage.

I hear when it was introduced somebody emailed a picture of it with an Oscar
Meyer Wienermobile paint job to the engineers. I would love a copy of that.

Old January 9th 07, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

C J Campbell wrote:
Wall Street Journal today ran an article on the Boeing Large Cargo Freighter,
the "Dreamlifter." It is one ugly plane. A CFI and student in a Skyhawk were
darn near killed in November when they flew through the monster's wake
turbulence. They were flipped over and lost 1000 feet of altitude and pulled
out just 150 above the water. This thing has 65,000 cubic feet of cargo
capacity -- triple that of a 747. It will fly Dreamliner nose sections from
Wichita to Seattle for final assembly.

Why did they fly through its wake?

Matt
Old January 9th 07, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Wanttaja

On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 16:26:38 -0800, C J Campbell
wrote:

Still, the Large Cargo Freighter is a contender, is it not? Especially with
those two huge rear door arms sticking out of just one side of the fuselage.

I hear when it was introduced somebody emailed a picture of it with an Oscar
Meyer Wienermobile paint job to the engineers. I would love a copy of that.

http://www.eaa26.org/nov06.pdf

Page 5....

Ron Wanttaja
Old January 9th 07, 01:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn

In article m,
C J Campbell wrote:

On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 16:15:07 -0800, gatt wrote
(in article ):

"Kev" wrote in message
oups.com...

C J Campbell wrote:
[...]

Tr the Avia Airtruk on for size! It was the plane used in "Mad Max".
Old January 9th 07, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Halpenny

C J Campbell wrote:

Indeed. The competition for world's ugliest plane is stiff. The Wilga comes
to mind...

Still, the Large Cargo Freighter is a contender, is it not? Especially with
those two huge rear door arms sticking out of just one side of the fuselage.

That's pretty ugly for a big plane. For exceptionally ugly, this is an
Australian copy of a New Zealand design, and I saw one of these being
restored in New Zealand - it is a "topdresser".

http://www.aamb.com.au/AIRTRUK.HTM

John Halpenny