A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Stemme S6-rt

Old February 17th 15, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Stemme S6-rt

As a power pilot who lives fairly far from a tow and would rather fly than trailer, I'm pretty much sold on getting a MG. I've looked at LSAs and don't like them, nor the restrictions they come with.

I have already received lots of info from MG doubters and haters, so i don't need to hear that again.

Would any 6 owners or pilots care to share their opinions about this type?

Thanks, Bob
Old February 17th 15, 08:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default Stemme S6-rt

On Tuesday, February 17, 2015 at 7:01:13 AM UTC-8, wrote:
As a power pilot who lives fairly far from a tow and would rather fly than trailer, I'm pretty much sold on getting a MG. I've looked at LSAs and don't like them, nor the restrictions they come with.

I have already received lots of info from MG doubters and haters, so i don't need to hear that again.

Would any 6 owners or pilots care to share their opinions about this type?

Thanks, Bob

Bob,

I can understand preferring to fly than trailer.

Another factor is what your performance expectations are. The S6 has a claimed L/D of 34/1, so depending on how strong conditions are, you may need to run the motor occasionally to stay up with the slippery ships. Some pilots, including me, consider having to do an engine start as somehow "losing". Hawks and eagles, on the other hand, seem pretty much indifferent to the need to flap now and then.

The Stemme S10, claimed L/D is 50, but really more like 46 to 47. The S10's polar does have a nice sweet spot at 90 knots though.

Haven't flown the S6, so don't know if they are being "optimistic" on their performance claims.