Making a VFR C152 IFR

Old April 6th 04, 06:17 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Richard Kaplan" wrote in message
s.com...

"Dan Luke" wrote in message

If you fly much IFR, you need an approach GPS, in my opinion, unless you
restrict yourself to ILS equipped airports.

I "restrict" myself to airports with ILS, LOC, VOR, NDB, VOR/DME RNAV,

SDF,
LDA, or ASR approaches. That tends not to be too restrictive at all.

The point will very soon be moot though with WAAS GPS precision
approaches -- my avionics shop knows I want to be first in line to get

such
a box installed in my airplane.

The CNX-80 is about the limit of the technology; without adding an air data
computer and perhaps a radar altimeter.

Old April 6th 04, 09:31 PM
Richard Kaplan

"Tarver Engineering" wrote in message

The CNX-80 is about the limit of the technology; without adding an air

data
computer and perhaps a radar altimeter.

I plan a Garmin 430 which is much more economical than the CNX-80 but will
still be able to fly the precision WAAS approaches when the unit is upgraded
later this year. An air data computer and/or radar altimeter would not add
any more capability to fly an instrument approach and will not be required
for WAAS GPS approaches.

--
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com

Old April 6th 04, 09:43 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Richard Kaplan" wrote in message
s.com...

"Tarver Engineering" wrote in message

The CNX-80 is about the limit of the technology; without adding an air

data
computer and perhaps a radar altimeter.

I plan a Garmin 430 which is much more economical than the CNX-80 but will
still be able to fly the precision WAAS approaches when the unit is

upgraded
later this year. An air data computer and/or radar altimeter would not

add
any more capability to fly an instrument approach and will not be required
for WAAS GPS approaches.

With LAAS dead I see no way for you to get there. Unless you mean to use
ILS.

Old April 6th 04, 11:10 PM
Richard Kaplan

"Tarver Engineering" wrote in message
With LAAS dead I see no way for you to get there. Unless you mean to use
ILS.

Garmin has clearly announced that the GNS 430/GPS 400, GNS530/GPS500, and
CNX-80 will all be upgradable to WAAS GPS precision approaches before the
end of the year. The CNX-80 upgrade will probably be free and
software-only, whereas the 400/430/500/530 upgrade will cost $1,500 for a
hardware upgrade.

Do you have reason to not believe this is so? If the above does not occur,
there will be an awful lot of surprised, disappointed, and/or angry pilots
at the end of this year.

--
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com

Old April 6th 04, 11:33 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Richard Kaplan" wrote in message
s.com...

"Tarver Engineering" wrote in message
With LAAS dead I see no way for you to get there. Unless you mean to

use
ILS.

Garmin has clearly announced that the GNS 430/GPS 400, GNS530/GPS500, and
CNX-80 will all be upgradable to WAAS GPS precision approaches before the
end of the year. The CNX-80 upgrade will probably be free and
software-only, whereas the 400/430/500/530 upgrade will cost $1,500 for a
hardware upgrade.

Do you have reason to not believe this is so? If the above does not

occur,
there will be an awful lot of surprised, disappointed, and/or angry pilots
at the end of this year.

I expect they will be disapointed if they are expecting anything better than
the VNAV capabilities listed for the CNX-80. Note that LAAS is defunded and
therefore WAAS will not be getting to CAT III.

http://www.garmin.com/support/faqs/faq.jsp?faq=221

Old April 7th 04, 03:04 AM
Richard Kaplan

"Tarver Engineering" wrote in message

I expect they will be disapointed if they are expecting anything better

than
the VNAV capabilities listed for the CNX-80. Note that LAAS is defunded

and
therefore WAAS will not be getting to CAT III.

Who is suggesting flying a Cat III approach in a piston single-engine
airplane?

All I am saying is that I fully expect the Garmin 400/500 series and the
CNX-80 to be capable of flying RNAV approaches to VNAV/LNAV minimums and to
fly LPV approaches as well by the end of the year.

Do you not agree this should be possible by the end of the year?

Do you not agree this will be an improvement over current GPS capabilities?

--------------------
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com

Old April 7th 04, 04:01 AM
Tarver Engineering

"Richard Kaplan" wrote in message
s.com...

"Tarver Engineering" wrote in message

I expect they will be disapointed if they are expecting anything better

than
the VNAV capabilities listed for the CNX-80. Note that LAAS is defunded

and
therefore WAAS will not be getting to CAT III.

Who is suggesting flying a Cat III approach in a piston single-engine
airplane?

All I am saying is that I fully expect the Garmin 400/500 series and the
CNX-80 to be capable of flying RNAV approaches to VNAV/LNAV minimums and

fly LPV approaches as well by the end of the year.

Do you not agree this should be possible by the end of the year?

That will depend on the airport, but perhaps FAA can speed that process up.

Do you not agree this will be an improvement over current GPS

capabilities?

I would not credit WAAS with much of it. The 5 sample GPS engine and the
pressure altitude data are much more important to the VNAV. Getting from
7.2 meters to 3.6 meters longitudinal accuracy does not give a lot of extra
capability. Adding the pressure altitude gets us the abreviated TAWS data
base to pump the probabilities.

The CNX-80 is a response to the desire for a GPS VNAV by rai posters. I do
not blame Garmin for buying UPSAT and porting the technology and I believe
more pilot information is safer, as some are going anyway.

Old April 7th 04, 05:04 AM
Richard Kaplan

"Tarver Engineering" wrote in message

I would not credit WAAS with much of it. The 5 sample GPS engine and the
pressure altitude data are much more important to the VNAV. Getting from
7.2 meters to 3.6 meters longitudinal accuracy does not give a lot of

extra

Look, a Gulfstream G-IV with autoland would be nicer (and safer) too but
that is not in the cards for most pilots, me included.

From a practical perspective, the bottom line is that right now there is no
avionics setup economically practical today for a single-engine piston
airplane which can fly an RNAV LNAV/VNAV approach or a WAAS GPS LPV
approach. However, toward the end of the year the Garmin CNX-80 and Garmin
400/500 series will be capable of flying these approaches.

Correct?

Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com