Duats route filing - need help via radials

Old May 24th 05, 01:37 AM

Default Duats route filing - need help via radials

I've been trying to use duats to file flight plans. The preferred
route from PHL to Toronto CYYZ is ptw, then ptw 320 deg radial to
intercept J64 RAV etc. I've tried various formats to enter this
radial to a jet route format, but duats doesn't seem to accept it.

Any one able to make this type of route work?
Stan
Old May 24th 05, 02:25 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

wrote in message

I've been trying to use duats to file flight plans. The preferred
route from PHL to Toronto CYYZ is ptw, then ptw 320 deg radial to
intercept J64 RAV etc. I've tried various formats to enter this
radial to a jet route format, but duats doesn't seem to accept it.

Any one able to make this type of route work?

Determine what point the PTW R320 intersects J64 and file PTW direct to that
point direct to RAV. I don't have a current H-3, but assuming J64 is still
a straight line between RAV and RBV, the point of intersection looks like
RAV113034, so file PTW..RAV113034..RAV.J64. You could also file
PTW..FLOAT..RAV.J64, FLOAT is on V276 and is the RAV114034. Close enough.

Old May 24th 05, 01:15 PM

I had found FLOAT on the low charts, and filed ptw float rav etc.
The next time, I found SUZIE to be almost exactly on the ptw 320R, and
that Suzie was a hi altitude waypoint on j64. And so filed ptw suzie
j64 rav...

Both times when picking up the clearance, atc gave me "ptw ptw 320R
intercept j64 rav...". Not really a problem because as you said, its
pretty well the same as filed, but atc both times asked for a readback
of the route (after I read back transponder code only). I just like
to file the same route atc expects, to minimize chances of mistakes,
and extra work/radio callls.

If you still think filing to the intercept point identified via the
rav radial and distance is the way to do it, I'll try.

What I was hoping to find was a simple way to enter ptw ptw320R
intercept j64 through duats, and have it accepted when I go to
file. That way, I should get "cleared as filed" instead of the whole
route given to me by atc.

Any regular duat users out there that can shed some light?
I tried their 1 800 number but it is no good from Canada. And they
didn't respond to my email.

thanks for your response Steven
Stan

On Tue, 24 May 2005 01:25:35 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote:

.. .

Old May 24th 05, 02:37 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

wrote in message

I had found FLOAT on the low charts, and filed ptw float rav etc.
The next time, I found SUZIE to be almost exactly on the ptw 320R, and
that Suzie was a hi altitude waypoint on j64. And so filed ptw suzie
j64 rav...

I make FLOAT to be on the PTW 319R and SUZIE to be on the PTW 315R. FLOAT
would be a bit closer to the specified intersection but the difference is
insignificant. Since SUZIE is actually on J64 I'd go with it.

Both times when picking up the clearance, atc gave me "ptw ptw 320R
intercept j64 rav...". Not really a problem because as you said, its
pretty well the same as filed, but atc both times asked for a readback
of the route (after I read back transponder code only). I just like
to file the same route atc expects, to minimize chances of mistakes,
and extra work/radio callls.

If you still think filing to the intercept point identified via the
rav radial and distance is the way to do it, I'll try.

What I was hoping to find was a simple way to enter ptw ptw320R
intercept j64 through duats, and have it accepted when I go to
file. That way, I should get "cleared as filed" instead of the whole
route given to me by atc.

The ATC flight data processing computer will accept anything it's told to
accept. Since this is a preferential route one must assume it's in the
computer. The format would be PTW.PTW320..J64.RAV. Note that there is one
period between unlike elements (fix.route) and two periods between like
elements(route..route or fix..fix). Give that a whirl, if it works your
problem's solved. Of course, if it doesn't work, you won't know it the
problem was with DUATS or ATC.