Flying with pregnant wife

Old August 7th 03, 04:17 PM
Chris Kennedy

Default Flying with pregnant wife

Captain Wubba wrote:

[snip]

1. What is the maximum altitude that would be 'safe' for for an
expectant mother to fly at?

Our goal was to remain below 10K MSL, and in practice never strayed much
above 9K. About the only input we got from the medical community was
that fetal and maternal hemoglobin has a higher affinity for O2 than
that of adults, so as long as mom wasn't hypoxic the kid was likely to
be fine. We did tend to check the little CO warning tabs more often,
though...

2. Does this vary with the stage of pregnancy?

Jen flew solo until early in her fifth month, at which point she was
cautioned to stop solo flight because some women start to have episodes
of lightheadedness about that time (she never did). She flew dual until
sometime in her sixth month, when she couldn't stuff her 5'2" frame into
the airplane or get full travel on the yoke.

3. Is there a time when we should simply stop flying?

We were never told of a medical reason, but when it got to the point
where it took on the order of minutes for her to get in and settled it
was pretty clear that we'd have emergency egress issues and she quit flying.

4. Are there any resources that anyone know of concerning flying with
small children (i.e. headsets, inner-ear issues, etc.?

A good pediatrician Seriously, the only issue we've had with Duncan
is that he doesn't like wearing his headset (or sunglasses, for that
matter). The tip from our pediatrician on ears was to stuff a tit in
his mouth, but we never had to figure out how to do that in flight. The
pediatrician has been nothing but encouraging about Duncan flying in
light, unpressurized airplanes -- the strongest cautionary note he gave
us was to make sure he was wearing sunscreen.

Cheers,
Chris.
--
Chris Kennedy

http://www.mainecoon.com
PGP fingerprint: 4E99 10B6 7253 B048 6685 6CBC 55E1 20A3 108D AB97

Old August 7th 03, 04:56 PM
Big John

Cap

One bit of info. Commercial birds are pressurized to between 5K and
10K (forget the standard figure but someone will drop it in a reply).
If you don't fly any higher in your GA than the commercial bird
pressurization it shouldn't be a problem.

I'd go to her Doc and get his opinion of what is acceptable during
preg.

Also baby ear Doc about flying with infant and possible ear blockage
(might want to wake up prior to descent so baby will clear any minor
blockage by crying if it hurts , etc) Playing with baby until it
laughs could help clear any minor blockage.

There's lots of professional advice available, but I'd look twice
(measure twice and cut once) at all the advice you will get here on
r.a.p. (some will be good and some ???)

Congrats on the new one coming into the family. Maybe a new pilot
coming on board?

..
Big John

On 7 Aug 2003 05:59:41 -0700, (Captain Wubba)
wrote:

Hello. I posted this in another group but got no response. I was
wondering if anyone here might be able to point me in the right
direction.

My wife is pregnant with our first child. She is currently 12
weeks into an apparently uncomplicated pregnancy. She's in good
health, and has no specific problems that we know of. I have heard
conflicting advice about flying in small, unpressurized planes while
pregnant. She's very
comfortable flying, and we like to travel, and would like to travel
via general aviation both before and (after a suitable age) after
delivery. The aircraft we fly in is not pressurized (It's either a 206
or a Beech Musketeer). I had a few questions:

1. What is the maximum altitude that would be 'safe' for for an
expectant mother to fly at?

2. Does this vary with the stage of pregnancy?

3. Is there a time when we should simply stop flying?

4. Are there any resources that anyone know of concernign flying with
small children (i.e. headsets, inner-ear issues, etc.?

Thanks in advance for any help

Cheers,

Cap

Old August 7th 03, 05:08 PM
Big John

Cap

One other thing I forgot.

Wife will start using bathroom more often. You will have to plan
shorter legs to let her get out and exercise and do her thing.

May not be important to you, but will be very important to her and
could kill her love for flying GA.

We have four daughters and driving cross country we could hardly pass
a gas station without stopping for teh wife or one of them G (Family
joke)

Sydney may be able to input some advice for you from the womans side?

Old August 7th 03, 05:46 PM
JerryK

I believe the requirement for Commercial A/c is a 8,000 cabin at service
ceiling, but most planes can beat this figure.

Old August 7th 03, 08:39 PM
Peter Gottlieb

I would ask your wife's doctor about altitude related issues. If you are
concerned you can always give her supplemental oxygen over say 5000 feet or
base it on an oxygen monitor.

om...

Old August 7th 03, 08:44 PM
Jake Brodsky

On 7 Aug 2003 05:59:41 -0700, (Captain Wubba)
wrote:

In general, I'm not aware of any issues regarding pregnancy, altitude,
and flying, other than physical comfort. If your wife wishes to act
as PIC, she should be aware that as far as the FAA is concerned,
pregnancy is not sufficient reason for grounding unless her mobility
(or bladder capacity) is a concern.

FYI, my wife and I fly while she was pregnant, we took car trips with
our daughter when she was nine months old and while my wife was
pregnant with our son, right over the continental divide at 12000+
MSL. We even went for a short hike at that altitude. Other than
getting winded as one would expect, we had no other problems.

We flew with my daughter here and there until she was about 13 months
old. After that, my wife's mobility was getting limited by pregnancy
again, and the logistics of managing a baby on an airfield by one's
self are not nearly easy as it might first seem.

4. Are there any resources that anyone know of concernign flying with
small children (i.e. headsets, inner-ear issues, etc.?

Hearing protection is probably the biggest concern. This can be taken
care of by cutting down foam ear plugs to put in their ears and then
using a pair of ear muffs or a cap to hold them in place.

My daughter has flown with me both with and without hearing
protection. Our airplane, a Cardinal FG, isn't particularly noisy and
the back seat is far enough away from the engine and propeller that
noise isn't overwhelming. If your airplane is noisy, you might
consider replacing the windshield with a thicker plexiglass. Most
aircraft have some sort of STC for this sort of thing. A lot of cabin
noise comes from the pulses of air off the propeller slapping against
the windshield.

Since my children were so close in age, flying with the whole family
became a logistical nightmare when my son was born only sixteen months
later. There is just too much stuff to pack. So I curtailed most of
their flying activities until now. Today, at ages 3 and 4, they are
old enough to manage on the airfield without the hassle of taking
along heavy, well provisioned diaper bags, they're potty trained to
where they let me know with enough advance warning, and they're strong
enough to walk 1/4 mile across a parking ramp without complaint or
asking me to carry them.

Let me mention this one bit of caution for later: As with a car, KIDS
BELONG IN THE BACK SEAT. Do not put them in the co-pilot's seat until
you can be SURE they won't do something impulsive or stupid, such as
bring their feet up to push the flight controls. ASRS has reports on
this.

Packing a family with a single child in an airplane is busy work.
Packing two toddlers in to an aircraft involves lots of planning and
care, at least until they reach an age where they can help care for
themselves. I recommend that the adults outnumber the children in
this application.

I wish you and your wife a smooth, uncomplicated pregnancy and a
healthy baby. The fun is just beginning.

Jake Brodsky,
PP ASEL IA, Cessna Cardinal N30946, Based @ FME
Amateur Radio Station AB3A
Old August 8th 03, 03:31 AM
Rick Durden

Captain,

Lots and lots of womoen pilots fly well into pregnancy with no ill
effects. My aunt flew when pregnant with my cousin back in 1940 until
she couldn't get the stick back to flare. He came out of it okay,
other than he developed an overwhelming compulsion to learn to fly
when he was 16 (and did so).

Doctors will tell you there is no problem with oxygen and so forth.
Only reason a lot of ob/gyns say no flying in the last month is they
don't want their patient traveling and potentially starting labor a
long way from home.

For flying with babies and kids, got to AVweb (www.avweb.com), click
on columns, click on The Pilot's Loungs Index and scroll down to the
very first column. Quite a bit of stuff in it that may be of value.

Best single for haulding babies and stuff is the Cardinal. It has the
biggest cabin of all four-place, two huge doors, a flat floor and it's
impossible to load it out of c.g. You can put one person in front and
one in the back with the child seat and not be out of c.g. aft. For
the first several months it's a good idea to have an adult in the back
with the baby just to be sure of things. You will also find you take
an incredible amount of "stuff" with you when you have a baby, the
Cardinal will carry it.

Noise protection for the baby is absolutely essential. During
pregnancy there is plenty of protection, after birth you have to take
aggressive action to protect the baby's hearing as general aviation
airplanes are just plain loud and it WILL cause hearing loss.

Babies usually handle pressure changes well if they have something to
suck on when in a descent. Nevertheless, make descents as gentle as
you can at first and watch the baby for discomfort. Climbing doesn't
bother them. Never, ever, ever take the baby flying if she has a cold
or sore throat or anything that you feel adversely affects her ears.
I made one trip at 500 feet to avoid a pressure change when our
daughter was an infant and the descent was at 100 fpm to the runway.

Congratulations on the little one.

All the best,
Rick

Old August 8th 03, 04:37 PM
Snowbird

Chris Kennedy wrote in message ...
2. Does this vary with the stage of pregnancy?

Jen flew solo until early in her fifth month, at which point she was
cautioned to stop solo flight because some women start to have episodes
of lightheadedness about that time (she never did). She flew dual until
sometime in her sixth month, when she couldn't stuff her 5'2" frame into
the airplane or get full travel on the yoke.

I dunno what your airplane is, but I fit my 5'4" frame into our
plane through 37 weeks.

What I did was push my seat back, then buy the tallest platform
shoes I could find to achieve full rudder travel. I thought I might
need a seatbelt extension, but because of the way our seatbelts
are designed, I didn't.

I did have to build a holder off to the side for my approach plates.
My stomach completely hid the bottom half.

I flew solo through 37 weeks with my OB's approval, so the
"caution" your wife experienced is neither universal nor
really backed up w/ any solid research. No harm in being
cautious though if your wife didn't mind.

Frankly I wouldn't have minded having someone else around to
push the plane back and help me tie it down .

Cheers,
Sydney
Old August 8th 03, 04:52 PM
Snowbird

Jake Brodsky wrote in message . ..

We flew with my daughter here and there until she was about 13 months
old. After that, my wife's mobility was getting limited by pregnancy
again, and the logistics of managing a baby on an airfield by one's
self are not nearly easy as it might first seem.

I guess I'm not sure what you mean by that?

We really didn't have any problems. I used the horizontal
stabilizer as a changing table. I can tell you how to clear
out a pilot's lounge full of sedentary older men who won't
give you a seat in a big hurry . People were really nice
about giving us a run into town if we needed more diapers
or something. The smallest things fascinate little kids, so
entertainment is not an issue.

MUCH MUCH harder to handle a baby on a commercial flight, solo.
Ugh, ugh, ugh, ugh.

Be interested to know what you found to be concerns?

Our airplane, a Cardinal FG, isn't particularly noisy and
the back seat is far enough away from the engine and propeller that
noise isn't overwhelming.

I gotta say something here.

DH is EH&S among other professions so we borrowed a portable dosimeter
(noise level measure). Taxi in a small plane is about 75 dB, comparable
to a car on the highway.

Takeoff is 98 dB, more than 16x higher. Cruise about 92 in our plane,
16x higher. Objectively, this *is* a level of noise that can cause
hearing damage upon repeated exposure of sufficient duration.

I don't know what you perceive as "not particularly noisy" but
I didn't notice the Cardinal I flew in being particularly any
quieter than other planes.

Personally, our plane will not leave the ground unless our daughter
is wearing hearing protection. We want to preserve her hearing until
she's old enough to go to rock concerts or take up playing the drums
and ruin it on her own. *g*

Let me mention this one bit of caution for later: As with a car, KIDS
BELONG IN THE BACK SEAT. Do not put them in the co-pilot's seat until
you can be SURE they won't do something impulsive or stupid, such as
bring their feet up to push the flight controls.

Concur.

At age 3 1/2, our dd is only just now being allowed to sit in the
front seat for short flights as long as she is having a good day
and can "listen to our words". And, we have another adult in
back who is prepared to drag her into the back seat if she doesn't.
VMC only.

Cheers,
Sydney