Track2Thermic

Old January 22nd 10, 11:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
brianDG303[_2_]

Default Track2Thermic

In an earlier post there was mention of Track2Thermic which sounded
interesting, but after wasting a couple of hours there is clearly some
trick I don't know. I can convert the igc file to a wpt file and after
that it's all downhill; GPSbabel will convert to a .cup file for SYM
but displaces the markers east and south by about 5,000 NM and 1,000
NM. So, not that useful really. Can't figure out how to get the wpt
files into Google maps or earth either.

Help?

Brian
Old January 23rd 10, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

On Jan 22, 3:52*pm, brianDG303 wrote:
In an earlier post there was mention of Track2Thermic which sounded
interesting, but after wasting a couple of hours there is clearly some
trick I don't know. I can convert the igc file to a wpt file and after
that it's all downhill; GPSbabel will convert to a .cup file for SYM
but displaces the markers east and south by about 5,000 NM and 1,000
NM. So, not that useful really. Can't figure out how to get the wpt
files into Google maps or earth either.

Help?

Brian

Waypoint files? Or the .igc files?
Waypoints are easy with http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/gpsbabel/
I haven't looked for track file conversion.
Old January 23rd 10, 02:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

On Jan 22, 3:52*pm, brianDG303 wrote:
In an earlier post there was mention of Track2Thermic which sounded
interesting, but after wasting a couple of hours there is clearly some
trick I don't know. I can convert the igc file to a wpt file and after
that it's all downhill; GPSbabel will convert to a .cup file for SYM
but displaces the markers east and south by about 5,000 NM and 1,000
NM. So, not that useful really. Can't figure out how to get the wpt
files into Google maps or earth either.

Help?

Brian

D'oh! The converter is in there somehwere. I just remembered that I
used to convert pretty much every flight to a .kml and look at it in
Google Earth.
Old January 23rd 10, 03:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
brianDG303[_2_]

On Jan 22, 6:54*pm, Uncle Fuzzy wrote:
On Jan 22, 3:52*pm, brianDG303 wrote:

In an earlier post there was mention of Track2Thermic which sounded
interesting, but after wasting a couple of hours there is clearly some
trick I don't know. I can convert the igc file to a wpt file and after
that it's all downhill; GPSbabel will convert to a .cup file for SYM
but displaces the markers east and south by about 5,000 NM and 1,000
NM. So, not that useful really. Can't figure out how to get the wpt
files into Google maps or earth either.

Help?

Brian

D'oh! *The converter is in there somehwere. *I just remembered that I
used to convert pretty much every flight to a .kml and look at it in
Google Earth.

Mr. Fuzzy,
Track2Thermic is supposed to accept a pile of IGC files and return
waypoints of each thermal including information about it, the premise
being you would then know the location of 'house thermals' in areas
you don't get to much. Like to try it but it has defeated me so far.

Mr. Brian
Old February 14th 10, 04:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_3_]

On Jan 22, 3:52 pm, brianDG303 wrote:
In an earlier post there was mention of Track2Thermic which sounded
interesting, but after wasting a couple of hours there is clearly some
trick I don't know. I can convert the igc file to a wpt file and after
that it's all downhill; GPSbabel will convert to a .cup file for SYM
but displaces the markers east and south by about 5,000 NM and 1,000
NM. So, not that useful really. Can't figure out how to get the wpt
files into Google maps or earth either.

I tried it and had the same problem. It's as if Track2Thermic is not
expecting a West longitude. You can easily fix the .cup file with
"find and replace" in Wordpad to correct the East longitude to a West
longitude.

There is a bigger problem: it picks out any ascending track as
thermal, instead of using circling to pick out thermals. You end up
with 4 or 5 times as many thermals as there really are because it
finds the places you dolphined under clouds, ridge flying, and wave
flying.

I've contacted the author, who says he'll look at it when he has a
chance "soon". In the meantime, I think it's quicker and more accurate
to do it by hand with SeeYou. In the Animate mode, you can click on
the Next Thermal button, it take you there, you add a waypoint where
you think it should, etc.

I'm going to wait for him to (hopefully) fix it before I do any
serious converting.