KI209a, glideslope = VNAV?

Old August 17th 03, 06:35 AM
Snowbird

Default KI209a, glideslope = VNAV?

OK, DH is leaning towards the "replace #2 OBS with something more
modern" option.

Which brings us to the question:

I know the KI-209a will accept input from a GPS.

Is that just for the left-right course deviation indicator, or
is it set up to accept input to the glideslope as well, for use
w/ VNAV? Anyone know?

Alternatively: is the output from the glideslope receiver/input
to the glideslope portion of the CDI some sort of funky King
signal which the CDI has to decode, or is it straight analog?

Thanks!
Sydney
Old August 18th 03, 12:04 AM
Aaron Coolidge

Snowbird wrote:
: I know the KI-209a will accept input from a GPS.

: Is that just for the left-right course deviation indicator, or
: is it set up to accept input to the glideslope as well, for use
: w/ VNAV? Anyone know?

: Alternatively: is the output from the glideslope receiver/input
: to the glideslope portion of the CDI some sort of funky King
: signal which the CDI has to decode, or is it straight analog?

Sydney, the GS signal is a standard signal for almost all radios,
something like +/- 150 microamps. As I recall it is not switched
with the GPS relay, but it has been a while.

The left-right of KI209a has an input for "composite" VOR signal which
is what a KX-155 or KX170 outputs, and a second input for +/- volts
which is what the GPS outputs. A relay inside the KI-209a switches these
two sources. The OBS is also switched so that the GPS can use it, as
many IFR GPS require an OBS.

--
Aaron Coolidge (N9376J)
Old August 18th 03, 08:02 PM
Snowbird

Aaron Coolidge wrote in message ...
Snowbird wrote:
: I know the KI-209a will accept input from a GPS.
: Is that just for the left-right course deviation indicator, or
: is it set up to accept input to the glideslope as well, for use
: w/ VNAV? Anyone know?

Sydney, the GS signal is a standard signal for almost all radios,
something like +/- 150 microamps. As I recall it is not switched
with the GPS relay, but it has been a while.

I'm not sure this is answering what I was asking. Probably
I phrased my question unclearly.

What I was asking was, when the 209a is switched to "GPS" mode,
will the up/down needle accept VNAV input from the GPS, if the
GPS is capable of outputtng VNAV info.

I just spoke with Honeywell tech support, though, and the answer
I got was unambiguous "yes". When the unit is switched to "GPS"
mode, if VNAV info is provided the 209a should accept it ie, both
needles are "alive" in GPS mode.

Cheers,
Sydney

Old August 19th 03, 03:50 AM
Snowbird

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message ...
This is correct but AFAIK none of the current GPS navigators provide GS
info.

Understood. The issue is, if we have to shell out for
installation of a new (or new-to-us) OBS, is it worth it
to pay a bit more up-front and get one which might add
future capability. An OBS which adds IFR GPS capability
is no thrill to us, because we already have an approach-
certified IFR GPS which has its own, dedicated CDI.

OTOH, adding the potential for VNAV would seem to be a
plus, perhaps worth a bit of extra investment in equipment.
You think?

Cheers,
Sydney