Soaring in North Dakota

Old November 23rd 03, 02:37 AM
Jay

Default Soaring in North Dakota

To my knowledge, there are some privately-owned gliders in the Fargo,
ND area, but no local flying clubs that I'm aware of.

I'm a member of the Civil Air Patrol here in Fargo, and we are working
hard to get a Blanik by next Spring (2004). Several of us have gotten
our Private Glider, and a half-dozen more are working on it.

We'll be using the CAP's C-172 w/180 hp as a towplane.

Jay

On Sat, 3 May 2003 21:11:41 +0200, "Martin Kaareng"
wrote:

TomWhat is the best soaring club in ND? Come on, here's your chance to
advertise!

Martin

Old November 23rd 03, 05:22 PM
John H. Campbell

Interesting. This was a Reply subject, but I can't find a post about ND in
my r.a.s. archive. Sounds like you have 2 contacts ("Martin" and "Tom",
though).

Jay, you are to be congratulated for seeking out the existing local glider
experts instead of just starting up on your own with limited background in
gliders. The CAP-SSA MOU encourages just that and I can tell you it's
easier and safer to make veteran glider pilots and CFI-Gs CAP members than
vice-versa. What the joint program is all about is getting glider
orientations for young cadets. PVT pilots with some experience can be O-ride
pilots per CAP's regulations, but CFI-Gs are more common.

Unfortunately, as you probably already know, the www.ssa.org "Where to Fly"
feature doesn't list ND (it has 46 entries, so some other states + DC, PR
etc. are missing). Also the SSA Governor list curently says "vacant". A
telephone call to SSA on Monday, (505)392-1177 might dig up more up to date
info. You might also check with the nearest Regional Directors.

University of North Dakota, which has a nationally famous aviation
department, has had a glider club off and on. Last I heard, UND had
acquired a Katana Extreme and was at least developing some glider-like
flying interest.

Old November 23rd 03, 06:43 PM
Eric Greenwell

That's because the original post was May 3, found using a Google group
search, as my local archives only last for 3 months. It was a puzzle at
first.

And since I replied then with my ND experience, I won't repeat myself.

--
-----
Replace "SPAM" with "charter" to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA