Glider Club in North Dakota?

Old January 10th 08, 05:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Adam D

Default Glider Club in North Dakota?

I've recently been reassigned to Grand Forks, North Dakota and am
looking to fly my Phoebus this summer, but SSA doesn't list any clubs
up here. Does anybody know of a club or glider operation anywhere in
ND, Western MN? It doesn't look like UND has a club operating at the
moment, at least not with a towplane.

Adam
Old January 10th 08, 07:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jan 9, 10:11*pm, Adam D wrote:
I've recently been reassigned to Grand Forks, North Dakota and am
looking to fly my Phoebus this summer, but SSA doesn't list any clubs
up here. *Does anybody know of a club or glider operation anywhere in
ND, Western MN? *It doesn't look like UND has a club operating at the
moment, at least not with a towplane.

Adam

Hopefully some of the MN glider crowd will reply. 1-26 driver Jim
Hard had a tow pilot arranged for record attempts out of Bottineau but
I don't know how current that arrangement is. We could put you in
touch with Jim easily enough.

There are some cropdusters around that might hang a hook and give you
a lift. There is a retired duster/FBO guy around there who used to
fly gliders a lot. I can't remember his name at the moment but I'll
see if I can find it. He told me about flying a Bergfalke from near
the north border to some great distance south and still having the 2
seat state record. A really nice old guy who would be a great place
to start. Ask around at the airport and I bet you'll get his name.

Aim for Ames Iowa on a good downwind day in May and we'll take good
care of you. Crummy downwind day head to Farabault MN where Don and
Cathy of Cross Country Soaring (dot com) will welcome you.

In case you are not familiar with this part of the country... Once you
get south a ways the lakes and trees of MN peter-out and it's all corn
and beans. you can land anywhere until about the second week of June
when the corn gets too tall. End of June the beans are too tall and
it's kinda dicy until harvest time. Soaring can start mid March.

Oh yea, there is a good club at Winnipeg that would welcome you if you
can figure out how to go back and forth across the border without
being strip-searched and... probed. Apparently they used to fly south
a lot and have soaring safari's with us Americans but it's too much
trouble now.

Matt
Old January 10th 08, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Adam

On Jan 9, 10:11*pm, Adam D wrote:
I've recently been reassigned to Grand Forks, North Dakota and am
looking to fly my Phoebus this summer, but SSA doesn't list any clubs
up here. *Does anybody know of a club or glider operation anywhere in
ND, Western MN? *It doesn't look like UND has a club operating at the
moment, at least not with a towplane.

Adam

There is a small consortium flying near Brookings, SD.

Email me me off-list and I will give you a contact number.

Adam K.

adam_y2k5 (the at symbol) yahoo-dot-com
Old January 11th 08, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT

there was someone flying/towing over near Minot..
Not sure if he still is there.. I know he just sold a Calair tow plane to a
group in Nevada
BT

Old January 11th 08, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT

I left KRDR in 1991.
Batten down for the winter.. oh.. it is the middle of winter there.
Watch out for the spring floods..
BT

Old January 11th 08, 02:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AK

On Jan 9, 11:11*pm, Adam D wrote:
I've recently been reassigned to Grand Forks, North Dakota and am
looking to fly my Phoebus this summer, but SSA doesn't list any clubs
up here. *Does anybody know of a club or glider operation anywhere in
ND, Western MN? *It doesn't look like UND has a club operating at the
moment, at least not with a towplane.

Adam

What about the Winnipeg Gliding Club near Winnipeg north of the border
about 2 hours from Grand Forks.
Old January 12th 08, 01:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Jan 9, 10:11 pm, Adam D wrote:
I've recently been reassigned to Grand Forks, North Dakota and am
looking to fly my Phoebus this summer, but SSA doesn't list any clubs
up here. Does anybody know of a club or glider operation anywhere in
ND, Western MN? It doesn't look like UND has a club operating at the
moment, at least not with a towplane.

Adam

According to the FAA public release for 01/2008, there are 50 glider
rated pilots in ND; four in Grand Forks, ten in Fargo, four in Minot,
and four in Bismark. The rest are spread out. Eleven hold CFI-G's.

Sounds like time to form a club.

Frank Whiteley

PS: ND needs an SSA governor also.

Old January 13th 08, 08:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Adam D

On Jan 10, 7:50*pm, AK wrote:
On Jan 9, 11:11*pm, Adam D wrote:

I've recently been reassigned to Grand Forks, North Dakota and am
looking to fly my Phoebus this summer, but SSA doesn't list any clubs
up here. *Does anybody know of a club or glider operation anywhere in
ND, Western MN? *It doesn't look like UND has a club operating at the
moment, at least not with a towplane.

Adam

What about the Winnipeg Gliding Club near Winnipeg north of the border
about 2 hours from Grand Forks.

Yes, I've thought about travelling up there this summer. I just
wanted to see if there was a group flying somewhere in ND. I'd think
that there would be at least some decent soaring up here in the
summer. I'll definitely check out Winnipeg sometime this summer. I'm
going to school in Wichita Falls, TX and I know I'll be able to find a
place to fly down there from April to July.

Adam

University of North Dakota video lessons B A R R Y[_2_] Piloting 9 September 1st 07 06:42 PM
Strong Thermal in North Dakota Ray Lovinggood Soaring 1 May 13th 06 02:45 AM
Littlefield Glider Club Jack Soaring 3 October 23rd 05 01:16 AM
Moving to Alaska, anyone need glider transported north from NM Jeff Landfield Soaring 0 July 9th 04 04:46 AM
Soaring in North Dakota Jay Soaring 2 November 23rd 03 07:43 PM