Not wanting to use control sticks

Old January 14th 07, 08:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Wayne Paul

Default Not wanting to use control sticks

Lou,

I don't want to start a "flame" war; however, what advantage does a yoke
have over a stick? I have flown both and prefer a stick.
(http://tinyurl.com/yc6pog) The only advantage a yoke has is that it doesn't
interfere with a woman's long skirt.

Wayne

HP-14 "6F"

http://www.soaridaho.com/

"Lou" wrote in message
ups.com...

Well, here I go again, thinking instead of doing.

My plane call for control sticks just like 99% of the homebuilts out

there. But I've been considering using a control yoke (maybe cessna

150

modified) instead. To get from the yoke controls to the push/pull

tubes in the wing I may have to use Bowden cables. I may be wrong on

the name, but basicly similar to bicycle brake cables.

Has anyone used these kind of cables successfuly?

Or has anyone incorporated a control yoke instead of control sticks?

Lou

Old January 14th 07, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
BobR

That is an interesting subject for debate and no doubt there will be as
many opinions as there are pilots. I have flown both and generally
found the stick to be more comfortable and natural than the yoke.
There is just something very intuitive about using the stick when
flying. It also removes the natural instinct to try and drive while on
the ground.

On the other hand, my wife doesn't care for having the stick in the
middle of the seat and many people will prefer the yoke because they
are more familiar with it. A yoke also makes it substantially easier
to install adjustable seats with ample forward / aft movement for
pilots or copilots of widely varying heights. You either need to be
able to adjust the rudder pedals or the seats. I compromised and went
for a center stick instead of the yoke which allowed me to put in
adjustable seats that have good forward / aft movement and raise up as
the move forward.

Everything though still seems to end up being a compromise and now I
will have to reach across my body with my left hand to reach the
radios. I really like the setup in the Cirrus and Lancair aircraft
with their wrist action controls. I have never flown one though to
know how well they work from a flying point of view.

Old January 15th 07, 04:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
abripl

Wayne Paul wrote:
.... (http://tinyurl.com/yc6pog) The only advantage a yoke has is that it doesn't
interfere with a woman's long skirt.

With yokes its also easier to get in and out and more long term leg
comfort.

I have flown both stick and yoke on my aircraft type and prefer the
yoke.

We all have personal preferences.

Old January 15th 07, 05:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
abripl

Wayne Paul wrote:
(http://tinyurl.com/yc6pog) The only advantage a yoke has is that it doesn't
interfere with a woman's long skirt.

With yokes its also easier to get in and out and more long term leg
comfort.

In your above URL I don't see where you could even put a yoke.

I have flown both stick and yoke on my aircraft type and prefer the
yoke. http://www.abri.com/sq2000