UK1 E5148 Sopwith Camel.jpg

Old December 8th 13, 02:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Charles Lindbergh

Default UK1 E5148 Sopwith Camel.jpg

On Sat, 7 Dec 2013 21:13:20 -0800, Savageduck

On 2013-12-08 01:09:54 +0000, Charles Lindbergh said:

On Sat, 7 Dec 2013 15:26:46 -0800, Savageduck

On 2013-12-07 16:46:57 +0000, Charles Lindbergh said:

On Fri, 6 Dec 2013 11:04:16 -0800, Savageduck

On 2013-12-06 16:34:03 +0000, Charles Lindbergh said:

On Fri, 6 Dec 2013 05:31:48 GMT, y wrote:

Really, why was it called Camel? Because it didn't use a water cooled
engine?

Clever, I wouldn't have thought of that.

Charles Lindbergh?
I have your signature along with Tommy McGuire's and Robert De Haven's
on one of my father's short snorter bills.

Doesn't look like my signature, it must be a forgery.

So that wasn't you in New Guinea in 1944?

I think the Lindbergh you want is dead, has been since 1974.

Yup!

He was arguably a Nazi sympathizer and anti-semitic.

I guess he had a change of priorities in 1941 when the "America First
Committee" withered on the vine.

A shame for him to go down in history like that.

He still goes down in history as a great pilot. He made a strong
contribution to the war effort in the South West Pacific and put
himself in the line of fire when it counted.

As for having a "change of priorities", I think his survival instinct kicked in
when he realized he was rapidly becoming a pariah amongst his countrymen.
Leopards do not change their spots. IMHO he was an advocate of eugenics and a
rabid anti-semite until the day he died.

Lindbergh's motives for his participation as a civilian in WWII are
questionable. Again, in my humble opinion, his motives were self-serving and not
based upon love of country, liberty, democracy or loyalty.

Revisionist historians might consider extending the range of the P-38 to be a
"strong contribution". However I would give much more credit to Kelly Johnson
for leading the team that designed the Lightning. The men of the 431st, 433rd
and 475th fighter group, who didn't just drop in for a little stick and glory
time, deserve far greater accolades than does Lindbergh.

As for being a great pilot, I personally give much more credit for his
successful, solo transatlantic flight to the superior engineering skills
employed in the design and construction of the Spirit of St. Louis by Ryan
Aeronautical of San Diego.

Charles H. Lindbergh was a tragic figure. The world was his oyster and he threw
it away by embracing the philosophies of Adolph Hitler and the Nazis. He
glamorized the family name, then he destroyed it.

Admittedly, the sanitized version of history is far more romantic, but embracing
such fairy tales and raising Lindbergh to the level of demigod does a tremendous
disservice to the real heroes of WWII and aviation in general.

Jimmy Stewart, who portrayed Lindbergh in the 1957 film "The Spirit of St.
Louis" was a far more admirable and heroic figure for his military service to
our country than was Lindbergh.

All that said, your Lindbergh memorabilia signature is a handsome piece and as
long as you have the proper supporting provenance, I suspect it might be
considered moderately valuable.

Old December 8th 13, 06:33 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-12-06 16:34:03 +0000, Charles Lindbergh said:

[...]

You left off the 49th Fighter Group which had the 9th Fighter Squadron,
the highest scoring P-38 squadron of the Pacific war.
https://db.tt/uHYaWaFm
http://www.flyingknights.net

As for being a great pilot, I personally give much more credit for his
successful, solo transatlantic flight to the superior engineering skills
employed in the design and construction of the Spirit of St. Louis by Ryan
Aeronautical of San Diego.

Charles H. Lindbergh was a tragic figure. The world was his oyster and he threw
it away by embracing the philosophies of Adolph Hitler and the Nazis. He
glamorized the family name, then he destroyed it.

....er Charles A. Lindbergh, that Charles H. guy works down at the Jiffy-Lube.

Admittedly, the sanitized version of history is far more romantic, but
embracing
such fairy tales and raising Lindbergh to the level of demigod does a
tremendous
disservice to the real heroes of WWII and aviation in general.

Jimmy Stewart, who portrayed Lindbergh in the 1957 film "The Spirit of St.
Louis" was a far more admirable and heroic figure for his military service to
our country than was Lindbergh.

All that said, your Lindbergh memorabilia signature is a handsome piece and as
long as you have the proper supporting provenance, I suspect it might be
considered moderately valuable.

Signed on Biak Island when Lindbergh flew two missions with the 9th
Fighter Squadron as my father's wingman.
My father flew two tours 1943 through 1945, through New Guinea, Rabaul,
Borneo, Leyte, Linguyen, Manila, Okinawa, and Tokio.
https://db.tt/uHYaWaFm

--
Regards,

Savageduck

Old December 8th 13, 06:37 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-12-06 16:34:03 +0000, Charles Lindbergh said:

[...]

....Oops! I intender to give you this image rather than two of my Dad.
https://db.tt/FnlPOj1D

Old December 9th 13, 01:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Charles Lindbergh

On Sun, 8 Dec 2013 10:37:29 -0800, Savageduck

On 2013-12-06 16:34:03 +0000, Charles Lindbergh said:

[...]

Thanks, I didn't "leave them off", the three I mentioned served with great
distinction and illustrated my point adequately.

https://db.tt/uHYaWaFm
http://www.flyingknights.net

...Oops! I intender to give you this image rather than two of my Dad.
https://db.tt/FnlPOj1D

No sweat, I made a typo with his middle initial and you.... By the way, what
does "intender" mean? Was that supposed to be "intended"?

As for being a great pilot, I personally give much more credit for his
successful, solo transatlantic flight to the superior engineering skills
employed in the design and construction of the Spirit of St. Louis by Ryan
Aeronautical of San Diego.

Charles H. Lindbergh was a tragic figure. The world was his oyster and he threw
it away by embracing the philosophies of Adolph Hitler and the Nazis. He
glamorized the family name, then he destroyed it.

...er Charles A. Lindbergh, that Charles H. guy works down at the Jiffy-Lube.

See above. For a moment I thought I was the only imperfect human in this
conversation.

[...]

Your father sounds like a patriot.
Old December 9th 13, 04:55 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-12-08 14:05:02 +0000, Charles Lindbergh said:

All that said, your Lindbergh memorabilia signature is a handsome piece and as
long as you have the proper supporting provenance, I suspect it might be
considered moderately valuable.

Signed on Biak Island when Lindbergh flew two missions with the 9th
Fighter Squadron as my father's wingman.
My father flew two tours 1943 through 1945, through New Guinea, Rabaul,
Borneo, Leyte, Linguyen, Manila, Okinawa, and Tokio.
https://db.tt/uHYaWaFm

Your father sounds like a patriot.

Just a young guy who thought Pearl Harbor was a girl, and he wasn't
going to let the Japanese get away with attacking her.

He loved flying, but life was interrupted by a war, that made the
flying and people he met a whole lot more interesting. His First tour
ended in November 1944 and he could only tolerate 2 weeks of the
boredom back in the mainland before returning to the Philippines to
finish out the war.

He flew escort for the Japanese surrender negotiators and the
"Surrender Betty" to and from Ie Shima on August 19,1945. On August 29,
1945 he was one of the 8 P-38 flyers making up the MacArthur Honor
flight becoming the first tactical group to land in, and occupy Japan.
After the signing of the surrender on the Missouri on September 2, 1945
he had 75 service points and had no option but to be shipped back to
the mainland where he was at Luke Field and Chanute Field until he left
the service in 1947.

He is still kicking, a healthy 90 year old.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

Old December 9th 13, 06:46 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Charles Lindbergh

On 2013-12-08 14:05:02 +0000, Charles Lindbergh said:

[...]

I wager your father never bragged about his service, as my father never did. A
significant lesson I learned from my Dad which strongly influenced my personal
career in the USMC.

UK1 B9276 Sopwith Camel 1919 to K-135 Sopwith Scooter.jpg Joseph Testagrose Aviation Photos 0 January 26th 13 01:11 PM
UK1 B3782 Sopwith Camel.jpg Joseph Testagrose Aviation Photos 0 October 23rd 11 12:05 PM
Sopwith Camel jd Aviation Photos 0 April 25th 09 07:02 PM
Sopwith Camel with Nieuport N.24 Glenn[_2_] Aviation Photos 2 October 18th 07 02:39 AM
Sopwith Camel Glenn Alderton Aviation Photos 16 January 2nd 07 06:22 AM