Grob salvage anyone.

Old June 3rd 16, 01:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Grob salvage anyone.

On Wednesday, June 1, 2016 at 11:06:07 AM UTC-5, BruceGreeff wrote:
Can anyone direct me to a source of good/repairable Grob CS77 wings?
Looking for Starboard primarily/specifically.

Have some that are beyond economical repair...

Any advice gladly received.
Location is South Africa, but we can freight.

Thanks
Bruce
--
Bruce Greeff
T59D #1771

There is a set of wings off an Astir CS from a wreck in Manitoba. Not sure what the status is as the insurance company owns it, had put it on their salvage auction which ended 2 months ago and the Club that owns it has heard nothing as to the new owners.

The glider suffered a ground-loop on take-off, became airborne while going sideways and then dug in the tail which twisted the fuselage splitting it wide open and hence it was a write off.
Old June 3rd 16, 11:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jon Towill

According to the drawings on the Lindner website, the CS77 wings leading
edges are swept back slightly whereas on the CS they are not. So even if
you could get the wings to fit and the wing/fuselage junction to work, the
C of G would be wrong.

Why not see if you can find a pair of Discus wings, that way you could make
a Disastir.

Regards, Jon

Old June 3rd 16, 01:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Why not see if you can find a pair of Discus wings, that way you could make
a Disastir.

Regards, Jon

"Pretty good. Pretty, pretty good."

Larry David
Old June 3rd 16, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Friday, June 3, 2016 at 3:30:07 AM UTC-7, Jon Towill wrote:
According to the drawings on the Lindner website, the CS77 wings leading
edges are swept back slightly whereas on the CS they are not...

Interesting. I guess the next question would be whether the lift pin and control connection interfaces are the same between the different types. It's not a deal-killer if not; composites make it fairly easy to execute fairly major changes. But it is the sort of complication that might make it economically unviable.

If your aeronautic authorities are cooperative, it wouldn't be that hard to determine the CG range in terms of mean aerodynamic chord (MAC), and use that. Assuming, of course, that the different aircraft have similar tail volumes, but that's probably a good bet.

Thanks, Bob K.
Old June 10th 16, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Harrison

http://www.sky-craft.co.uk/acatalog/...ailplanes.html

There are a pair of cs77 wings here for sale. ( I have no connections with
sky
craft just noticed them when I was looking for an elevator for my cs77. )

Good luck with the rebuild.

Old June 10th 16, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Harrison

=
not a deal-killer if not; composites make it fairly easy to execute

fairly
=
major changes. But it is the sort of complication that might make it
econom=
ically unviable.

If your aeronautic authorities are cooperative, it wouldn't be that hard
to=
determine the CG range in terms of mean aerodynamic chord (MAC), and

use
t=
hat. Assuming, of course, that the different aircraft have similar tail
vol=
umes, but that's probably a good bet.

Thanks, Bob K.

http://www.sky-craft.co.uk/acatalog/...ailplanes.html

These guys have a pair of cs77 wings for sale ( I have no connection with
sky
craft, just noticed them when looking for an elevator for my cs77)

Good luck with the rebuild.

Grob salvage anyone. AS Soaring 3 June 2nd 16 10:17 AM
Salvage Steve Leonard[_2_] Soaring 3 July 9th 14 07:27 PM
LET L-23 Salvage Roy Bourgeois Soaring 3 July 17th 04 05:24 AM
Salvage yard Jim Owning 7 April 9th 04 01:32 AM
Salvage brien Rotorcraft 1 November 7th 03 06:15 PM