April 5

Old April 6th 06, 12:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default April 5

April 5, 1917: Kelly Field gets its wings

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/daybyday/04-05-001.html

On this day in 1917, the first planes landed at Kelly Field, San
Antonio.

The site was selected in 1916 to expand the facilities of the fledgling
Aviation Section of the Army Signal Corps. It was initially called
Aviation Camp, then Kelly Field, and finally Kelly Air Force Base.

During World War I almost all American combat aviators earned their
wings at Kelly, which expanded dramatically. In 1928 the movie Wings
was filmed at the base. World War II brought further changes, and the
base became a major logistical center for the separate United States
Air Force in the postwar period.

In 1993 came news that the base was to be closed. At the time, Kelly
was the oldest continuously operating flying base in the United States,
and was the largest employer in San Antonio. Subsequently, the massive
Kelly Air Force Base Redevelopment project converted the base to a
business and industrial park, a process to be completed in 2001.

Also the birthday of Steve Wittman - and me!

Richard
Old April 6th 06, 04:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

("Richard Lamb" wrote)
Also the birthday of Steve Wittman - and me!

http://www.marilyncollector.com/lege.../happybday.jpg
Happy Birthday ...Mr President

It's either that or you whip something up on that CAD machine of yours.
Something with counter-rotating tassels, IYKWIM.

Montblack
http://www.scopesys.com/cgi-bin/today2.cgi ...April 5th
Birthday - 2173 Harcourt Fenton "Harry" Mudd New Amsterdam, Arcturus (Star
Trek)

History - 2063 Earth's 1st contact by extra-terrestrials (Vulcan); according
to Star Trek

Old April 6th 06, 04:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Montblack wrote:

("Richard Lamb" wrote)

Also the birthday of Steve Wittman - and me!

http://www.marilyncollector.com/lege.../happybday.jpg
Happy Birthday ...Mr President

wOOw! Works for me!

It's either that or you whip something up on that CAD machine of yours.
Something with counter-rotating tassels, IYKWIM.

Would that I could!
My stick figure people don't look quite like that...

Old April 6th 06, 05:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

In 1993 came news that the base was to be closed. At the time, Kelly
was the oldest continuously operating flying base in the United States,
and was the largest employer in San Antonio. Subsequently, the massive
Kelly Air Force Base Redevelopment project converted the base to a
business and industrial park, a process to be completed in 2001.

The Field is still operational, but is not a public use field.
Old April 7th 06, 07:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Dave,

Is the XC-99 still there??

Flash

Old April 7th 06, 07:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

And me!!

And my grandfather, Charles William, cut down the cornstalks for the
first landing field at Kelly. I didn't know the date was significant
there.