CBS "News" strikes AGAIN

Old January 28th 04, 03:13 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Michael Houghton" wrote in message
Howdy!

In article ,
ET wrote:

My wife is a teacher, and while I would love for her to earn more, if you
take her salary and divide it by number of days worked, she does very
well indeed. To compare teacher salaries per year to other occupations
leaves out the summers, holidays, etc....

...how many hours week does she work? How much time does she put in in
the evenings and weekends doing teacher work? Don't forget to factor that
into your math.

The teachers in my daughters high school do virtually NO work outside the
classroom. Their syllabus is usually prepared by the various departments and
each teacher has one or two TA's for each class they teach.

If a teacher arrives at 7:00 AM, they're out the door by 2:00; in at 8:00
they're out by 3:00. After 3:00 only admin and staff are still at the school
except for extra curricular activities that earns the teachers
overtime/bonus pay.

How many people in private business put in a lot more hours each week for
the same pay...and with better qualifications?

Old January 28th 04, 04:48 PM
ET

(Michael Houghton) wrote in
:

Howdy!

In article ,
ET wrote:

My wife is a teacher, and while I would love for her to earn more, if
you take her salary and divide it by number of days worked, she does
very well indeed. To compare teacher salaries per year to other
occupations leaves out the summers, holidays, etc....

...how many hours week does she work? How much time does she put in in
the evenings and weekends doing teacher work? Don't forget to factor
that into your math.

Even though she makes less than 40K, she still makes well over $200
per day that she actually works....

yours,
Michael

No, I do take that into consideration....

If a teacher is good, they will get into a rythem, using last years
material to generate next years, etc. The first few years, many hours
were spent at home working etc. Now much less. She starts at 7:45, and
ussually gets home a little after 5 (kids leave at 3:30), and has a 45min
lunch with no duty (legislated).

As I alluded earlier, I believe she deserves more, but it's not nearly as
bad a most people make it sound. Job security, summers & holiday's &
christmas off.... and pay at a level of well over 50K per year if she
were to work a schedule like the rest of us, automatic pay increases each
year, exemption from the social security system, replaced by a SOLVENT
teacher retirement system... heck just the last one is enough reason to
consider it... hrm.. maybe "I" need to consider teaching....

--
ET

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams
Old January 29th 04, 02:29 AM
Morgans

"ET" wrote in message

If a teacher is good, they will get into a rythem, using last years
material to generate next years, etc. The first few years, many hours
were spent at home working etc. Now much less.
--
ET

Most high school teachers do not teach the same classes each year, and
curriculum and books change every 2 or 3 years, so erase that point.

I need to go to that state that pays 50 per year. I have 24 years in, and
I'm a bit over 40 k.
--
Jim in NC

Old January 29th 04, 03:24 AM
L Smith

Morgans wrote:

"ET" wrote in message

If a teacher is good, they will get into a rythem, using last years
material to generate next years, etc. The first few years, many hours
were spent at home working etc. Now much less.
--
ET

Most high school teachers do not teach the same classes each year, and
curriculum and books change every 2 or 3 years, so erase that point.

Interesting! I wonder where you get this little tidbit? Since teachers
are certified to teach
in certain areas, you might have some shifting within that area (i.e. a
math teacher teaching
Algebra I one year and Geometry the next). That's a fairly limited
transition, though. Usually,
you can count on the same teachers for the same courses year after year.

As for books, I'd be interested in hearing about school districts that
can afford to completely
replace their textbooks every three years.

Rich Lemert

Old January 29th 04, 04:37 AM
ET

"Morgans" wrote in
:

"ET" wrote in message

If a teacher is good, they will get into a rythem, using last years
material to generate next years, etc. The first few years, many
hours were spent at home working etc. Now much less.
--
ET

Most high school teachers do not teach the same classes each year, and
curriculum and books change every 2 or 3 years, so erase that point.

I need to go to that state that pays 50 per year. I have 24 years in,
and I'm a bit over 40 k.

No, she gets paid on a "level", that if she were to work as many days as
the rest of us she would get paid over 50 a year. I 'wish' she got paid
50 a year.... She gets paid over $200 per school day including teacher
work days. If she were to work the entire year like the rest of us that
would be over 50K per year... as it is, it's under 40K,

As to those who talk about the extra hours etc,.... find me a job that
pays over 50K that pays you by the hour.... Unless it's a govt job or a
Union specialty job, your going to put in more than 40 hours a week, AND
work all year...