Left Coast Oshkosh Convoy

Old July 11th 05, 05:18 PM
RST Engineering

Default Left Coast Oshkosh Convoy

So far it is the Allison/Weir convoy from Kallyfornya to Oshkosh via Iowa
City. Anybody else thinking about it?

I'm departing Grass Valley at first light on Friday the 22nd. First gas
stop is Wells NV, then Rawlins WY. Depending on lumpies and bumpies,
Rawlins MAY be the overnight, or I MAY press on to Alliance NB. The more I
think about it, the better I like Rawlins ... for a couple of good reasons.
First, the afternoon builds over the Continental Divide (50 east of RWL)
start about 2-3 in the afternoon. Second, the early bird gets the use of
the truck. Third, two legs of 300-350 miles on the first day is just fine.
That leaves two legs on the SECOND day of 300-350 miles which is easy
flyin'.

So for me it is Grass Valley, Wells, Rawlins, Minden NB, and Iowa CIty.

Anybody else wanna come along?

Jim

Old July 12th 05, 12:20 AM
Blanche

I'll be going FTG (or APA or BJC if there's company) to IOW with
a fuel stop (or possibly 2 depending on my rear end's comfort
level). 'bout 5.5 hours total in the cherokee. Leaving on Sat. am.
should get to IOW before the storms are a problem.

Old July 12th 05, 12:42 AM
RST Engineering

I don'r know any of these but IOW.

Jim

Old July 12th 05, 12:51 AM
Matt Barrow

"Blanche" wrote in message
I'll be going FTG (or APA or BJC if there's company) to IOW

If your going to refuel, go down to COS and save a $1.50 a gallon.

Old July 12th 05, 04:25 AM
Jack Allison

RST Engineering wrote:

So far it is the Allison/Weir convoy from Kallyfornya to Oshkosh via Iowa
City. Anybody else thinking about it?

Ah, good Jim, you posted on the subject. Let's see if anyone else wants
to join in on the fun.

Rawlins is good, stopped there two years ago. By now, they will have
tie downs on the ramp. When we got there, they'd pulled all the chains
before they repaved. This probably happened two days before we got
there. Somebody wasn't thinking. Anyway, Rawlins sounds good. We'll
see who gets the truck first :-) Oh ya, that's another thing that
wasn't working two years back. Had to hoof it to the hotel. None the
less, the FBO provided great service.

Still not sure whether we'll depart from LHM or RHV. If the bay area
fog cycle isn't a factor, it will probably be from RHV. Otherwise,
brother Steve gets the added bonus of an almost three hour drive up to
Sacramento for the night prior to launch.

Let me know which frequency you'll be monitoring and I'll give you a shout.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-IA Student

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old July 12th 05, 04:26 AM
Blanche

"Blanche" wrote in message
I'll be going FTG (or APA or BJC if there's company) to IOW

If I said DEN, would that be more familiar? FTG, APA and BJC are
the towered airports under DEN Class B. I'm hangared at FTG.

As for going to COS for fuel, it's $2.98 at FTG (self serve) and
it's a bit out of the way unless someone down there wants to
come along and share expenses.

Old July 12th 05, 04:34 AM
Montblack

("Jack Allison" wrote)
Still not sure whether we'll depart from LHM or RHV. If the bay area
fog cycle isn't a factor, it will probably be from RHV. Otherwise,
brother Steve gets the added bonus of an almost three hour drive up to
Sacramento for the night prior to launch.

When does brother Steve figure his RV-6 will be ready for the trip?

Montblack
Old July 12th 05, 05:05 AM
Matt Barrow

"Blanche" wrote in message
I'll be going FTG (or APA or BJC if there's company) to IOW

If I said DEN, would that be more familiar? FTG, APA and BJC are
the towered airports under DEN Class B. I'm hangared at FTG.

As for going to COS for fuel, it's $2.98 at FTG (self serve) and
it's a bit out of the way unless someone down there wants to
come along and share expenses.

I didn't know you were local...from your OP, it seemed you were coming from
ore' yonder.

Old July 12th 05, 02:52 PM
RST Engineering

Let's start out on 122.75 and gradually switch to 123.3 as we get closer to
IOW. My N-Number is N73CQ, but BlueOnBlue182 works just as well. How do
you want to be called?

Jim

Old July 12th 05, 03:45 PM
Jack Allison

RST Engineering wrote:

Let's start out on 122.75 and gradually switch to 123.3 as we get closer to
IOW. My N-Number is N73CQ, but BlueOnBlue182 works just as well. How do
you want to be called?

Frequency and N-number noted. Hmmm, how do I want to be called? Rats,
can't think of anything really cool right now. Probably for the best as
that's just another thing to remember. Ignore whatever MontBlack, JayH,
or any of the other r.a.* regulars suggest. :-) As we'll be listening
for our N-number when in contact w/ ATC, I'd go with "Arrow 2104T" or
"Cherokee 2104T". Will make sure to start monitoring 122.75