as a training tool, MS Flt Sim is a farce!!!

Old November 14th 03, 08:16 AM
Roger Halstead

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 01:50:29 GMT, "Gary L. Drescher"
wrote:

"Arnold Pieper" wrote in message
. com...
What MS FS can't do is give you the G-force in a 60 degree banked turn

(2G),
or the visibility we have in the cockpit, or any of the sensory clues we
have such as noise, mushiness on the controls in a pre-stall, and things
like that.

I agree with you regarding G-force and visibility. However, MS FS wind
sounds are quite useful in perceiving airspeed, as is the control feel (if
you use a force-feedback joystick).

I agree with everything except the joystick. I use a FF joystick and
it is not realistic in simulating the changes in force with changes in
speed, or the mush just prior to stall.

OTOH, I've found it to be quite realistic in most, but not all other
respects. As a training supplement I think it has some good
possibilities.

I base that on about 1300 hours with over a 1000 in high
performance/complex/retract singles.

I've put about a 1000 hours on this plane in the last 10 years.
www.rogerhalstead.com/833pics.htm

and I'm building a real hotrod if I ever get it finished.

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

--Gary

Old November 14th 03, 01:54 PM
Paul A. Hoadley

On 13 Nov 2003 01:26:16 -0800, mike popken wrote:

Microsof FS is an eye candy entertainment GAME. Got that word
the:: G A M E!!!!!!!!

So what?

--
Paul.

mailtoaulh_logicsquad_net (make the obvious substitutions)
Old November 14th 03, 02:24 PM
David G. Bell

On Thursday, in article bmXsb.333$%b2.8@lakeread05
"mrhct" wrote:

A couple of years ago, my wife's boss's husband called to see if I wanted to
fly up to N.H. with him for lunch. I'd been doing the F.S. deal since MS98
so I jumped at the chance. I was amazed when I got in the cockpit of the
rented 172. I knew what everything was. Tom was using a handheld Garmin GPS,
a really neat unit. I asked why he wasn't using the installed GPS. He said
he really didn't know how it worked, but I did. During the flight up I shot
radials. He asked how the hell I knew all this stuff, I'd never been in a
plane before, I'm sure you all know the answer. So on the flight home, I
took the controls during climbout, flew the radials while he watched on his
Garmin, and flew the approach to the thresh hold. He was shocked and so was
I. Was it the same as F.S.and vice versa? No way. Could I have done what I
did without F.S.? No way. If he had become ill during our flights could I
have kept us from crashing? More than likely! And no it's not a game!

My own suspicion is that one of the big differences is that FS
experience tends to discourage head movement. It's certainly a factor
in such as CFS, and the other flight combat products which try for
realism.

"History shows that the Singularity started when Tim Berners-Lee
was bitten by a radioactive spider."
Old November 14th 03, 06:33 PM
Dr. Anthony J. Lomenzo

mike popken wrote:
The following was the original comment in this thread:

"See Wired magazine:

http://www.wired.com/news/technology...w=wn_tophead_6

People have criticized me in the past for suggesting that someone
could
learn much of the skills of piloting with FS, but it seems that I'm in
good company."
==============

If the poster is suggesting a wanna-be pilot could gain some insight
into ATC, he would be right. And ditto for a little background on
using VOR navigation, and with fs2004, the Garmin GPS. I would agree.
It is also helpful for a wanna-be pilot to experience how fast things
happen when you fly, how mentally quick one must be in order to safely
fly a plane. Here I agree again, but as one who has flown real planes,
I cound not disagree more if the poster is suggesting Microsoft
simulator planes fly like the REAL THING. Microsof FS is an eye candy
entertainment GAME. Got that word the:: G A M E!!!!!!!!
That's all it is, an eye candy game, to entertain people, to keep
their minds off the sewer society we are (and have) slid off into, to
keep people preoccupied with utter nonsense so they won't have time to
write or call their congressmen about what a mess the world is
becoming, so they won't have time to organize war demonstrations, etc.
That is the only purpose of this product. MS airplaines do NOT even
remotely fly like the real thing, and all one need do to prove it for
themselves is go fly a real plane and you'll see for yourself. Then if
you still believe MS simulator planes fly like the real thing, then
you are probably a devoute religious person that belives all those
wierd stories about God destroying His own creations, causing fire n
brimstone, hell, devils, etc. And just think, there are a couple
billion people who believe all this crap, so it does not surprise me
that millions of Flt Sim fans believe Microsoft's simulator planes fly
like the real thing.
BETWEEN EVERY MAN AND REALITY LIE HIS MOST CHERISHED ILLUSIONS.
M.P. Hall

Hope this helps
Mike

Hmmm. It also could be said that his/her most cherished 'learning
experiences' are decidedly in that mix! It's always been my view that
the flight simulators PER SE are an excellent 'adjunct' to the real
McCoy and I also believe that this fact has been well established!
Neither the military nor the civilian ATP brethren [et al] are strangers
to the simulator although I'd be the first to admit the obvious
differences between the desk sim and the multi-legged, multi-million
dollar hydraulic varieties. However, they both serve a purpose!
Instruction and direct practical applications that enhances the real thing!

Let's consider a few things: Even on the hydraulic legged multi-million
dollar sims..what is THE essential purpose? Think about it! Is the thing
being used to 'teach' ATP types how to fly? Hardly, because it's de
facto assumed that the ATP taking his/her REQUIRED sim training can fly
and thus the bottom line becomes the adjunct recurrent training in
emergency procedures! This is indeed a beneficial control environment
that can hurl all manner of 'emergencies' at the sim pilot and hence
train and be aware of [Murphy's Law inclusive] for the expected
reaction(s) should it occur in the real thing! It works!

Now...more practical and every day stuff...how many of us have ever
needed or used or hey, rented [Sidebar: Don't ask! My Windstar...profuse
white smoke, water out of the exhaust...yep...blown head gaskets and a
$1600 tab for the fix! :-( ...] ----anyway, a vehicle 'other' than our
own and what happens...the fumbling...where is everything? From the door
latch to the lights to the wipers to the heater/AC controls to whatever
and you-name-it. Get my drift? Familiarity of the controls and gauges!
Simplistic example perhaps but modify same in re the real thing versus
the easily applicable electronic counterparts on the sim! The sim can
duplicate same very nicely and, as a bonus, can be set to just as
UNFORGIVING as the real thing!

This too..the matter of adjunct confidence. Ohhh yes. What, are those
ads in the real McCoy av magazines for commo training or, indeed, SIM
training [other than the MSFS series] any more or less sophisticated
that what we can get from the MSFS series? Last time I looked the
multi-thousand 'fancy' sim stuff was just as DESK-FIXED, if you will, as
the MSFS varieties! This too, am I supposed to suddenly be a better sim
or real McCoy pilot if I use a $850 sim yoke versus a $100 CH ABS
material yoke? Think about it!

In my view, anything that serves as a reasonable learning experience
'adjunct' to the real thing only serves to enhance overall av training
and savvy! It lastly can not be denied that the level of flight sim
sophistication has risen 'dramatically' from the days of Bruce Artwick
and machines to run the sims that are now considered literal dinosaurs!
Now we've reached the point where 'actual' electronic reproduction of
'actual' real thing flight avionics is a reality....and with the
blessings and permissions of the manufacturers because, hey, it's good
business! Do you not think that Garmin ET AL 'welcomes' their avionics
as models for flight sim use? It only helps them commercially while
concurrently serving as the adjunct to learn the proper function of the
avionics in question! It's no secret that some GA types have equipment
in the real McCoy that they don't necessarily savvy 100% ....as they
should...but they don't! Sim training can help that too.

Need I mention additional ad hoc SIM practice with avoiding 'needle
chasing' or simply shooting precision landings. I can't see where it
hurts or detracts from the real thing. And finally---bottom line--- in
the absence of the BIG bucks for one's own plane and the associated BIG
costs to maintain same or those high rental fees, hey, for some folks,
the sim is the closest 'feasible' reality due to pure economics! What's
the old joke or indeed av enthusiast [for the real thong] lament, to
wit, ".... my family has a very bad habit...they like to eat!" ;-)

Doc Tony
[Cessna 150/152/172 vintage]

Old November 14th 03, 06:45 PM
Dr. Anthony J. Lomenzo

Dr. Anthony J. Lomenzo wrote:

mike popken wrote:

[...]

Whoops! Did I really type that real 'thong' [!] typo? Hmmmm. Let's
change that quickly to 'real THING'. Done. What's that? So I was looking
at the Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition... the ladies looked, shall
we say, 'revealing' in their outfits ... what, a problem? ;-)

Old November 15th 03, 12:43 AM
George Lewis

Yeah they like to eat, and my wife likes to buy shoes too! I know
I can't afford to buy an airplane that will carry THAT kind of a
payload! (shoes are heavy!)

Old November 15th 03, 05:59 PM
Dr. Anthony J. Lomenzo

George Lewis wrote:
Yeah they like to eat, and my wife likes to buy shoes too! I know
I can't afford to buy an airplane that will carry THAT kind of a
payload! (shoes are heavy!)

;-) ... Well, I still recall my wife saying some moons ago something
along the lines of ... ".... why would you want to have a hand-held
radio that 'only' gets the air band?" Hey! Maybe our friends at Sporty's
heard her and 'that' is why, inter alia, they came out with their air
band hand-held that 'also' gets AM/FM but then will cut to the action
when it's show time in the air! This way, the old line... ehhhh ....make
that 'reasoning' to one's wife can be the benefits of a 'multi-band'
hand-held for those emergency times when house power is lost in re
storms or whatever cause ... or any related excuse that is handy...and
at least plausible! ;-)

Doc Tony
;-)

Of course, selling the purchase of a classic [read: old] C-172 or Piper
'cousin' so to speak becomes somewhat more difficult!

But then, the pitch becomes the proverbial duck soup thing when you
announce you'll hold on the real McCoy for practical [read: economic]
reasons and for a mere fraction of what a decent set of plugs would cost
[forget the labor charge for installation!] on the real thing, hey,
there's this great new sim..... ! Cue the 'do the math' bit! ;-)

Old November 15th 03, 06:07 PM
Don Parker

mike popken wrote:

long tirate snipped

Jeezz Mike, cut back on the coffee or double up the med's.........
(;-))

Cheers'n beers.. [_])
Don