Soaring in "western" Canada?

Old March 16th 05, 06:53 AM
André Somers

Default Soaring in "western" Canada?

Hi,

I'm planning a trip to Canada for may and/or june this year. I plan to visit
roughly the region west and North of Edmonton, say between Yellowknife and
Vancouver :-)
Does anyone know if there are any soaring operations that would give me an
opportunity to fly there? Is there a thing like a map that indicates where
these operations are?

Then: I have a Dutch licence (gliders only). What would be needed to get
permission to fly in Canada?

Regards,

André
Old March 16th 05, 07:43 AM
keithw

Hello Andre'

I invite you to check out the website for Invermere Soaring Centre at
http://www.soartherockies.com and then contact Trevor Florence for any
information regarding the commercial operation there. You may also
check out the club website for Canadian Rockies Soaring Club at
http://www.canadianrockiessoaring.com We fly out of Invermere B.C.
which is approx 3 hours driving time west of Calgary AB.

Bring lots of film ....the views while flying over the Canadian Rockies
can be breathtaking.

--
keithw
- A website for Australian Pilots regardless of when, why, or what they fly -

Old March 16th 05, 11:38 AM

I have a web page in development to let anyone search for maps to any
club in Canada.

It is at...
http://www.aci.on.ca/~boblepp/SAC/club_finder.htm

Click on the area of Canada you will visit.

Alberta is on: http://www.aci.on.ca/~boblepp/SAC/alberta.htm

But as Keith points out, the beauty of the Rockies would be very
memorable. Already this year a 700 km flight was done
..
See: http://www.aci.on.ca/~boblepp/SAC/pacific.htm

Invermere satellite: http://www.aci.on.ca/~boblepp/SAC/crscsat.jpg

On each map click on the club name for an interactive MSN map to the
club

Most clubs have satellite photos by clicking right on the map marker
for the club.

Allow for travel time.....

Our national organization web site is www.sac.ca

Have fun!
Bob

Old March 16th 05, 06:56 PM
André Somers

keithw wrote:

I invite you to check out the website for Invermere Soaring Centre at
http://www.soartherockies.com and then contact Trevor Florence for any
information regarding the commercial operation there. You may also
check out the club website for Canadian Rockies Soaring Club at
http://www.canadianrockiessoaring.com We fly out of Invermere B.C.
which is approx 3 hours driving time west of Calgary AB.

Bring lots of film ....the views while flying over the Canadian Rockies
can be breathtaking.

Thank you! This looks exactly what I was looking for. I'm not really
planning on doing really extensive flying, but it would certainly rock if I
were able to make a flight above the Rockies (with an experienced pilot or
instructor, I don't have mountain experience myself). After all, if you're
visiting an area as spectacular as that, what glider pilot wouldn't want to
take a look at that from the air? I would! I'll bring my logbook :-)

Thanks again,

André