Shooing hangar sparrows

Old July 24th 05, 04:14 AM

Default Shooing hangar sparrows

So I've got this big new glider hangar with a 60 foot door opening, and
while I like birds (in this case sparrows / fly-catchers), my Yorkie
dog goes nuts when they are in "her hangar". They don't nest but
occasionally poop, being birds after all.

Any suggestions on how to humanely repel / discourage these birds?
Forget guns or poison. Want to keep the dog as well. The big plastic
owls don't seem to work. Banging away on the big old Ludwig drumset in
the back corner seems to help for awhile, along with twanging on my
vintage Rickenbacker guitar - but my chops ain't what they used to be!

Burt
Marfa, west Texas
USA

Old July 24th 05, 02:01 PM

p.s. Marfa sticks in my mind as the site of the world Gliding Champs,
many years ago. What happened after that, I wonder?

I built "Marfa Gliders" as a commercial soaring site. Training
(beginner to advanced), FAA checkrides for PVT-COM-CFI, and glider
rentals year-round. Located between Carlsbad Caverns and Big Bend
National Parks on a scenic, grassy plateau at almost 5,000 msl. Marfa
Airport (MRF) enjoys cooler summer temps than the rest of Texas! Low
dewpoints = high cloudbases. The 2006 World Class (PW-5) National
Contest will be here next June.

We're remote, but I've built a nice facility, so come visit - we'll
show you a good time!

See our website: www.flygliders.com
Burt Compton
Marfa, west Texas
USA

Old July 24th 05, 04:13 PM

They don't nest but
occasionally poop, being birds after all.

Any suggestions on how to humanely repel / discourage these birds?

+++++++++++++
One of the local banks had a bird problem at their covered drive
through. I think the convertible drivers probably complained the
most................

Their solution - that seems to work - was to cover the bottom of the
roof structure with what we call "chicken wire". It's an inexpensive
fencing material made of light gauge wire woven into an octagonal
pattern.

The birds still fly through, but can't land.
==============
Leon McAtee

Old July 25th 05, 04:10 AM
Joe

Put up a giant psoter of Bush, Rumsfeld and Cheney

Old July 25th 05, 07:08 AM
P. Corbett

There is a CD out there entitled "Speed The Parting Guest". It features 15
minute each of jack hammer, breaking glass, car horns honking and
explosions. It works on people...might work on birds.

Paul

oups.com...

Old July 25th 05, 07:30 AM
309

Do you have hundreds of unrequested CD-RoM's for AOL???

String those from the upper opening of the hangar door. Usually
they'll repel birds. If they don't they'll make pretty light shows as
the twirl in the breeze, reflecting sunlight.

I just wish they'd worked on the skunks that found their way in through
the cracks in my hangar doors...

Pete