Oudie with constant flarm warnings

Old June 21st 20, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Oudie with constant flarm warnings

I have a power core outputing to an Oudie, Butterfly display and SN10b.

I bought all the equipment during the glider purchase, and this is my first experience with all of these devices. I updated all the firmware and software with all the equipment and went flying. The butterfly display seems to be working correctly, however my Oudie was initially providing me sporadic warnings of an aircraft just slightly above and behind me, when there was noone there. I used another glider to confirm they were getting two targets for my ship.

I then used the flarm configuration tool to change the power core to match my transponder hex code and update my name. I now get constant, never ending flarm warnings on my oudie as soon as I start moving.

Also, I loaded on the latest flarmnet to make sure I had all the local ships' contest IDs instead of the hexcode for the targets. My butterfly display does not show the contest IDs but my Oudie does.

I'm at a loss to know what I need to do next. Any help would be appreciated.

I used the following txt file for my configuration:

$PFLAC,S,DEF
$PFLAC,S,ID,A6C7C2
$PFLAC,S,ACFT,1
$PFLAC,S,NMEAOUT1,71
$PFLAC,S,BAUD1,0
$PFLAC,S,NMEAOUT2,71
$PFLAC,S,BAUD2,2
$PFLAC,S,RANGE,65535
$PFLAC,S,VRANGE,500
$PFLAC,S,AUDIOOUT,0
$PFLAC,S,AUDIOVOLUME,100
$PFLAC,S,LOGINT,4
$PFLAC,S,CLEARLOGS
$PFLAC,S,PILOT,David Krautter
$PFLAC,S,GLIDERID,N536LS
$PFLAC,S,GLIDERTYPE,LS6c
$PFLAC,S,COMPCLASS,15m
$PFLAC,S,COMPID,XV
$PFLAC,S,PRIV,0
$PFLAC,S,NOTRACK,0

Old June 21st 20, 11:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, June 21, 2020 at 5:09:16 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

You must load the FlarmNet file to both the Oudie and the Butterfly display.. I'm guessing based on your problem statement that you missed loading it to the Butterfly. Steps are easy:

Butterfly firmware/FlarmNET update with PF Co
- Copy Butterfly firmware (.BFW) and/or flarmnet (.BFN)
to USB stick.
- Connect stick to Core.
- Switch on system with BF display knob pressed.
- Verify BF display goes into UPDATE MODE with 'WAITING', then 'LOADING'.
- Wait until BF display restarts (can take up to two minutes).

What version of PF firmware are you running? If 7.00 you need to downrev to 6.83 due to a bug in 7.00 that causes the exact problem you describe. If you're already on 6.83 then make sure your ICAO address is the same in both your PF config and your transponder.

Robert
Old June 21st 20, 11:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have version 6.81 installed.

I'm sure how to check the icao id in my microair transponder. Manual doesn't say how to do that.

David
Old June 21st 20, 11:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I need to be clear. I got my ICAO ID off the FAA website and have triple checked that the hex code used in my config file is the same.
Old June 22nd 20, 01:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

File from Flarm Configuration Tool

It looks like the Microair could be a Mode C transponder.

From the tool:

"Transponder type

Type of transponder that is installed in the aircraft. A correctly configured Mode-S transponder must be used in aircraft with pressure cabin, and in case there is a significant difference between cabin and external static pressure."

If you have a transponder, you have to say so in the Flarm configuration file.

################################################## ##################################
# This configuration file must be text only and reside in the top directory of the
# USB stick, SD card or FLARM Tool.
# This configuration file must be named FLARMCFG.TXT
# If you wish to change the settings, you can revisit the online configuration tool
# at any time: https://www.flarm.com
################################################## ##################################
$PFLAC,S,DEF
$PFLAC,S,ID,C01234
$PFLAC,S,ACFT,1
$PFLAC,S,NMEAOUT1,71
$PFLAC,S,BAUD1,2
$PFLAC,S,NMEAOUT2,71
$PFLAC,S,BAUD2,2
$PFLAC,S,RANGE,65535
$PFLAC,S,VRANGE,500
$PFLAC,S,XPDR,1
$PFLAC,S,MODESALT,1
$PFLAC,S,ADSBRANGE,65535
$PFLAC,S,ADSBVRANGE,65535
$PFLAC,S,ADSBWARNINGS,1
$PFLAC,S,PCASRANGE,7408
$PFLAC,S,PCASVRANGE,610
$PFLAC,S,MODEC,0
$PFLAC,S,OWNMODEC,0
$PFLAC,S,PCASCALIBRATION,30
$PFLAC,S,PCASBEEP,1
$PFLAC,S,PCASPFLAU1,0
$PFLAC,S,PCASPFLAU2,0
$PFLAC,S,AUDIOOUT,0
$PFLAC,S,AUDIOVOLUME,100
$PFLAC,S,LOGINT,4
$PFLAC,S,PRIV,0
$PFLAC,S,NOTRACK,0
Old June 22nd 20, 04:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hartley Falbaum[_2_]

On Sunday, June 21, 2020 at 6:09:16 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

David--

Your Config file shows BAUD1, 0
Meaning your output to the RJ45 port is ZERO!
Also I think the CLEARLOGS command deletes all the logs.
I don't know if it does that before you can download "today's" flight.
You have to tell the FLARM you have a transponder, and what type.
I will send you the full configuration specification by separate email.

Old June 22nd 20, 04:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hartley Falbaum[_2_]

[...]

Sorry--I was in error--
BAUD1,0 sets the RJ45 to 4800. Way too slow--device can't keep up.
Try using setting for 19,200 BAUD1,2
Is Oudie on the RJ45, port 1? If so you'll need to set it to 19.200 also.
Old June 22nd 20, 08:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Salmon[_3_]

At 03:49 22 June 2020, Hartley Falbaum wrote:
On Sunday, June 21, 2020 at 6:09:16 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I have a power core outputing to an Oudie, Butterfly display and SN10b.

=
=20
=20
I bought all the equipment during the glider purchase, and this is my

fir=
st experience with all of these devices. I updated all the firmware and
sof=
tware with all the equipment and went flying. The butterfly display

seems
=
to be working correctly, however my Oudie was initially providing me
sporad=
ic warnings of an aircraft just slightly above and behind me, when there
wa=
s noone there. I used another glider to confirm they were getting two
targ=
ets for my ship. =20
=20
I then used the flarm configuration tool to change the power core to

matc=
h my transponder hex code and update my name. I now get constant, never
e=
nding flarm warnings on my oudie as soon as I start moving. =20
=20
Also, I loaded on the latest flarmnet to make sure I had all the local

sh=
ips' contest IDs instead of the hexcode for the targets. My butterfly
disp=
lay does not show the contest IDs but my Oudie does. =20
=20
I'm at a loss to know what I need to do next. Any help would be

apprecia=
ted.=20
=20
[...]

Also set the SN10B to 19200.
Dave

Old June 28th 20, 03:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

If you have not already solved the problem, it appears from the snippet of cfg above that your config file is not configured to announce to your flarm that you have a Mode C transponder on board.

To configure your flarm for transponder add this to your cfg:

# Set what kind of transponder you have installed:
# 0 ... no XPDR (default)
# 1 ... Mode C
# 2 ... Mode S
$pflac,s,xpdr,1

Flarm / Oudie issues Nick Kennedy[_3_] Soaring 22 July 29th 19 03:48 PM
OUDIE FLARM [email protected] Soaring 5 July 12th 18 09:45 PM
flarm/oudie [email protected] Soaring 3 September 15th 17 02:51 PM
trying to work out how you connect the flarm view 57 to mini box flarm running a V7 and Oudie Michael Marshall[_2_] Soaring 3 April 10th 16 04:13 AM
trying to work out how you connect the flarm view 57 to mini box flarm running a V7 and Oudie Michael Marshall[_2_] Soaring 0 April 8th 16 08:57 PM