Assymbly Wing Insertion Order Question

Old October 6th 03, 09:48 PM
Tony Verhulst

Default Assymbly Wing Insertion Order Question

I have seen many ship's assembly procedures that dictate the "non"
forked spar be inserted first, then the forked spar. This seems
counter intuitive (to me), and must be for a reason. Anyone know what
that reason is?

The owner didn't read the flight manual.

I know the owner (LS4-b) and he did read the manual. The manual does not
mention why.

Tony V. LS6-b

Old October 7th 03, 01:58 AM
Greg Arnold

So you can see the spars on both wings as they are inserted through the
fuselage?

"Michael Pitoniak" wrote in message
om...
Folks,

I have seen many ship's assembly procedures that dictate the "non"
forked spar be inserted first, then the forked spar. This seems
counter intuitive (to me), and must be for a reason. Anyone know what
that reason is?

many thanks,

mike

Old October 7th 03, 02:37 AM
Ray Lovinggood

Someone somewhere in this thread mentioned the manual
for the LS-4b listed the 'forked' end goes in second.
Hmmm, the 4b. That's the newer version of the great
LS ship. I wonder if LS updated the manual? I don't
know all of the differences between the 'b' and the
earlier models, but the 'b' has automatic hookups.
So, LS must have rewritten at least part of the manual.
I wonder if something got lost in translation for
the manual. I wonder what the manual says in the original
language?

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

'Michael Pitoniak' wrote in message
. com...
Folks,

Old October 7th 03, 04:41 AM
BTIZ

ok.. the LS4 (not 4a or 4b) manual says left wing first.. does not mention
the fork.. I'll have to go look at it.. but I believe the left wing is
forked..

BT

Old October 7th 03, 07:06 AM
tango4

"Steve" wrote in message
om...
Mosquito, Libelle and Kestrel all go Forked wing first. I am
begnining to think it may be a wing stability issue. Wider is Better
as far as spar stub on fuselage goes.

I doubt it Steve. Once the drag pins are located the wing is stable.

Hell, another 5 1/2 months of this before the annual trip to Spain!

Still this thread is better than the wax one!

Ian

Old October 7th 03, 10:25 AM
Martin Gregorie

On 6 Oct 2003 18:41:55 -0700, (Michael Pitoniak)
wrote:

(JJ Sinclair) wrote in message ...
I have seen many ship's assembly procedures that dictate the "non"
forked spar be inserted first, then the forked spar. This seems
counter intuitive (to me), and must be for a reason. Anyone know what
that reason is?

The owner didn't read the flight manual.
:)
JJ Sinclair

JJ

I am "the" owner of a LS4b, and was refering to my assembly manual
from LS. Over lunch today with a friend it was mentioned that the
Pilatus B4 assembly procedure is documented similarly, as is the LS3 i
believe.

Anyone with an informed response?

Whoever said that about the B4 was well off the beam. I don't own one,
but I *have* helped rig one a few times. It has no stub spars. Being
an all-metal glider it just has three pick-up points on each wing.
It's a real bear to rig because the wing pick-ups are a very close fit
between the mating flanges on the fuselage and in addition you must
keep the wing aligned at all times or you bend the lower root fairing.

As to forked spars, you always put the right wing on a Pegase first
and take it off last: that's the forked spar. In any case the forked
spar will guide the single one into place when its put in first.

However, there can be other considerations: we tend to put the right
wing on the club Discus WL first and take it off last. That's because,
with the glider on the tail ramp dolly the canopy must be closed to
move that wing into or out of the trailer, so right wing first
on/last off is simply more convenient.

--
martin@ : Martin Gregorie
gregorie : Harlow, UK

Old October 7th 03, 02:00 PM
Graeme Cant

Steve wrote:

Mosquito, Libelle and Kestrel all go Forked wing first. I am
begnining to think it may be a wing stability issue. Wider is Better
as far as spar stub on fuselage goes.

Schleicher also. I guess you could be right about stability but I
always saw it a simply a matter of locating the spar correctly as it
slid in. The fork fills the fuselage cavity, the knife doesn't.

GC

Old October 7th 03, 03:05 PM
Andrew Warbrick

I think this is an idiosyncracy of LS glider manuals.
Every LS owner I know (bar one) disobeys the manual
and rigs the forked wing first (including me). I have,
however, tried it the other way and it makes no noticeable
difference.

At 13:00 07 October 2003, Graeme Cant wrote:
Steve wrote:

Mosquito, Libelle and Kestrel all go Forked wing first.
I am
begnining to think it may be a wing stability issue.
Wider is Better
as far as spar stub on fuselage goes.

Schleicher also. I guess you could be right about
stability but I
always saw it a simply a matter of locating the spar
correctly as it
slid in. The fork fills the fuselage cavity, the knife
doesn't.

GC

General Zinni on Sixty Minutes WalterM140 Military Aviation 428 July 1st 04 11:16 PM
Canard planes swept wing outer VG's? Paul Lee Home Built 8 January 4th 04 08:10 PM
Wing in Ground Effect? BllFs6 Home Built 10 December 18th 03 05:11 AM
Drywall Gussets Veeduber Home Built 5 October 27th 03 09:03 PM
Spitfire Mk XIV Wing Question [email protected] Military Aviation 3 September 19th 03 09:54 AM