A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

US: 15M/Open Class Writeups?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old June 5th 21, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 753
Default US: 15M/Open Class Writeups?

Looks like there's been some amazing flying at the Nationals, but not a peep that I can find anywhere in terms of reporting. I tried the usual SSA Results page, the SSA Homepage, Facebook searches, the Minden Website. Nada.

P3
Ads
  #2  
Old June 5th 21, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Semantics Michael
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 32
Default US: 15M/Open Class Writeups?

On Saturday, June 5, 2021 at 10:45:24 AM UTC-5, Papa3 wrote:
Looks like there's been some amazing flying at the Nationals, but not a peep that I can find anywhere in terms of reporting. I tried the usual SSA Results page, the SSA Homepage, Facebook searches, the Minden Website. Nada.

P3


A sign of the decline, I suppose (Another example is this year we received no applicants for the mentorship awards). In the absence of formal contest write-ups, you can find some great stuff (Wx conditions, types of lift encountered, pilot strategies, even satellite pictures, etc.) from those contestants who post their flts and comments to OLC.
  #3  
Old June 6th 21, 07:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nicholas Kennedy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 78
Default US: 15M/Open Class Writeups?

On Saturday, June 5, 2021 at 2:47:40 PM UTC-6, wrote:
On Saturday, June 5, 2021 at 10:45:24 AM UTC-5, Papa3 wrote:
Looks like there's been some amazing flying at the Nationals, but not a peep that I can find anywhere in terms of reporting. I tried the usual SSA Results page, the SSA Homepage, Facebook searches, the Minden Website. Nada.

I agree, Its looks like the early part of the contest was going off the scale.
Too bad no one is writing up a synopsis on the SSA site.
I thought is was a sanction requirement that someone does a daily write up.?
In the OLC comments theirs very little, except comments like " Nats day 5"
Nick
T
  #4  
Old June 6th 21, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Waveguru
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 178
Default US: 15M/Open Class Writeups?

Yes, theirs very little on OLC..... You would think at the National Contest their would be better coverage..../s

Boggs



  #5  
Old June 6th 21, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Al Tyler 8H
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4
Default US: 15M/Open Class Writeups?

On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 3:06:09 PM UTC-4, Waveguru wrote:
Yes, theirs very little on OLC..... You would think at the National Contest their would be better coverage..../s

Boggs

Rhonda and I have hosted the R5N contest for 20 years and we have always made sure the daily write ups were posted. So much has been written about how we grow this Sport and to have a National Contest be so irresponsible as to not even bother to post brief reports is awful. Maybe one of you contestants can spare a few minutes to fill us in on the details. Charlie Spratt is spinning around in his grave!

  #6  
Old June 7th 21, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default US: 15M/Open Class Writeups?

On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 6:54:56 PM UTC-4, Al Tyler 8H wrote:
On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 3:06:09 PM UTC-4, Waveguru wrote:
Yes, theirs very little on OLC..... You would think at the National Contest their would be better coverage..../s


I guess flying 775.49 km at 176.86 km/h is so boring that nobody thinks anyone (especially this east-coast flat-land pilot) would be interested in reading about it.

I'm surprised Elon Musk hasn't employed Charlie Spratt's spinning bones to drill more useless holes in the ground.

Ray
  #7  
Old June 7th 21, 06:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Sinclair[_5_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 88
Default US: 15M/Open Class Writeups?

YesOn Monday, June 7, 2021 at 9:02:24 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 6:54:56 PM UTC-4, Al Tyler 8H wrote:
On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 3:06:09 PM UTC-4, Waveguru wrote:
Yes, theirs very little on OLC..... You would think at the National Contest their would be better coverage..../s

I guess flying 775.49 km at 176.86 km/h is so boring that nobody thinks anyone (especially this east-coast flat-land pilot) would be interested in reading about it.

I'm surprised Elon Musk hasn't employed Charlie Spratt's spinning bones to drill more useless holes in the ground.



Yes, it would be greatly appreciated to have daily reports, but let’s remember our contests are run by volunteers!
I remember cranking out a hand written score sheet at 2:00 AM in the first Sports Class Nationals at Minden after our“computer expert”, was unable to enter any times and quit!
Maybe the manager could find a crew person who is willing to take on the daily reporting for the remaining contests this year?
Lei Zimmerman did an outstanding job for several years, cranking out daily reports!
JJ
  #8  
Old June 7th 21, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Semantics Michael
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 32
Default US: 15M/Open Class Writeups?

What is it you want to see in contest reporting? How tasty the BBQ was that evening or something more?

Here's a sample of what one can put together if you enjoy head-to-head battles between 2 or more pilots by producing your own animated drama: From studying the results from contest day 6 of the Open Class Nationals, I noted that the top day winners, Dan Mockler and Jim Lee, finished only 1.13 Kph apart in a 492.18km task. Moreover, they both flew JS1-C 21 meter ships, basically eliminating differences in equipment. Loaded both IGC files (available of course via OLC or similar databases or as published by the SSA contest site) into SeeYou (now an OLC option), normalized the time offset and incorporated the days' SkySight Wx info. When you hit the play button you get to witness each pilot's strategy, side-by-side and in 3D! Like they say, a picture's worth a thousand words. If you really want to get into the minutia, SeeYou statistics can be reviewed for each pilot (# of left v right turning, thermal strength, distance between thermals, etc.).

However, I couldn't find anyone to rate the BBQ.

  #9  
Old June 7th 21, 10:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12
Default US: 15M/Open Class Writeups?

On Monday, June 7, 2021 at 2:22:49 PM UTC-4, wrote:
What is it you want to see in contest reporting? How tasty the BBQ was that evening or something more?

Here's a sample of what one can put together if you enjoy head-to-head battles between 2 or more pilots by producing your own animated drama: From studying the results from contest day 6 of the Open Class Nationals, I noted that the top day winners, Dan Mockler and Jim Lee, finished only 1.13 Kph apart in a 492.18km task. Moreover, they both flew JS1-C 21 meter ships, basically eliminating differences in equipment. Loaded both IGC files (available of course via OLC or similar databases or as published by the SSA contest site) into SeeYou (now an OLC option), normalized the time offset and incorporated the days' SkySight Wx info. When you hit the play button you get to witness each pilot's strategy, side-by-side and in 3D! Like they say, a picture's worth a thousand words. If you really want to get into the minutia, SeeYou statistics can be reviewed for each pilot (# of left v right turning, thermal strength, distance between thermals, etc.).

However, I couldn't find anyone to rate the BBQ.

I just checked the SSA web site for results. They are showing all
remaining days as "no contest". Has the fire season shut them down?

RO
  #10  
Old June 7th 21, 11:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,076
Default US: 15M/Open Class Writeups?

On Monday, June 7, 2021 at 4:12:26 PM UTC-5, wrote:

I just checked the SSA web site for results. They are showing all
remaining days as "no contest". Has the fire season shut them down?

RO


I was wondering the same thing. Jim Payne did 900+ KM OLC in an ASG-32Mi on Sunday. Looking closer at the GOES 16 loop, there may be something real close by?

Steve Leonard
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Open Class Jonathan St. Cloud Soaring 27 February 25th 15 01:42 PM
WGC Open Class Richard Walters Soaring 1 August 12th 12 05:14 PM
Should SSA Regional contests allow water in FAI class...15, 18, 20,Open class? Sean Fidler Soaring 25 December 16th 11 03:14 PM
DAY 4 U.S. Open Class Nationals [email protected] Soaring 3 July 3rd 05 03:24 PM
UK Open Class and Club Class Nationals - Lasham Steve Dutton Soaring 0 August 6th 03 10:07 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 AviationBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.