looking for canopy window

Old November 5th 08, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

Default looking for canopy window

I am looking for a sliding window with a pop-out vent and guide rails.
It's time for me to boldly cut a hole in my virgin canopy and install
the window bits.

I know new ones are available, but perhaps someone has a set of this
stuff from a wrecked sailplane??

Thanks,
Brad
www.hpaircraft.com

Old November 15th 08, 02:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Guinn

On Nov 5, 5:47*pm, Brad wrote:
I am looking for a sliding window with a pop-out vent and guide rails.
It's time for me to boldly cut a hole in my virgin canopy and install
the window bits.

I know new ones are available, but perhaps someone has a set of this
stuff from a wrecked sailplane??

Thanks,
Bradwww.hpaircraft.com

Hi, I'm looking for the same thing, or at least the guide rails.....
thanks
Gary Guinn
Old November 15th 08, 02:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
TonyV

Hi, I'm looking for the same thing, or at least the guide rails.....
thanks
Gary Guinn

Wings and Wheels has them -
http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page37.htm

US$76 for megaplex and US$122 for polycarbonate. The cheaper rails are
actually recommended because they're not as strong - Do you want your
guide rail to break? or your canopy?

Tony V.
Old November 15th 08, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
DRN

On Nov 15, 9:55*am, TonyV wrote:
Hi, I'm looking for the same thing, or at least the guide rails.....
thanks
Gary Guinn

Wings and Wheels has them -http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page37.htm

US$76 for megaplex and US$122 for polycarbonate. The cheaper rails are
actually recommended because they're not as strong - Do you want your
guide rail to break? or your canopy?

Tony V.

Tony, that's the price just for the rails.
Add $245 for the window and scoop,
Total $321.
Hence Brad's quest...

See ya, Dave "YO electric"
Old November 15th 08, 11:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

TonyV wrote:

Hi, I'm looking for the same thing, or at least the guide rails.....
thanks
Gary Guinn

Wings and Wheels has them -
http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page37.htm

US$76 for megaplex and US$122 for polycarbonate. The cheaper rails are
actually recommended because they're not as strong

I've not seen that - was it on the W&W site?

- Do you want your
guide rail to break? or your canopy?

What is the "procedure" for breaking a rail and not the canopy? Are
there situations where a canopy rail that doesn't break might protect
the canopy, say, if someone attempts to lift the canopy with the rail?
If the rail broke, I can imagine the screw(S) holding it to the canopy
might then crack the canopy.

Why, yes, I am a bit skeptical of the claim!

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* Updated! "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* New Jan '08 - sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old November 16th 08, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

On Nov 15, 3:26*pm, Eric Greenwell wrote:
TonyV wrote:

[...]

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" atwww.motorglider.org

In 2004 I bought a set of Mecaplex rails from Williams Soaring.
Standard whatever they're made of $60.00 a pair. In July of 2006 I
dropped my canopy, from 1700 feet AGL. The Canopy broke, the rails
didn't. The 'vent window', however, was chipped on several edges.
What's this all mean?? I have no idea, except the 'normal' rails seem
to be more than adequately strong.
Old November 16th 08, 01:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

I must have a dozen unbroken upper rails in my canopy junk box, but no
undamaged lower rails. Why? Because inexperienced pilots use the lower
rail to open the canopy and sooner or later, break it. Most ships have
a protruding lip on the canopy frame to grab when opening the canopy.
Cough up the $321 bucks, get new stuff and don't even touch the window
rails when opening your canopy.
JJ

Window Blowout Ben Jeffrey Piloting 4 July 3rd 07 08:05 PM
WINDOW DECAL Vorsanger1 Soaring 8 September 1st 04 01:28 AM
F2A-3 ventral window? old hoodoo Military Aviation 1 February 22nd 04 08:04 PM
F2A-3 ventral window? old hoodoo Naval Aviation 1 February 22nd 04 08:04 PM
Window seal Hankal Owning 1 December 22nd 03 12:33 AM