US Senator Santorum sells out citizens - cheap

Old May 27th 05, 04:38 PM
John Ousterhout

Default US Senator Santorum sells out citizens - cheap

"Two days before Sen. Rick Santorum introduced a bill that critics say
would restrict the National Weather Service, his political action
committee received a $2,000 donation from the chief executive of
AccuWeather Inc., a leading provider of weather data."

"Joel Myers and his brother, Barry Myers, AccuWeather's executive vice
president, have donated more than $11,000 to Santorum and the Republican
Party since 2003"

entire story:
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...LATE=D EFAULT

- John Ousterhout -
Old May 27th 05, 05:51 PM

Wow! A very-well established multimillionaire Senator selling out for
the HUGE sum of $2000? Amazing! Think I could get him to name a highway
after me if I sent him a check for $1.50 ? I'm sure it couldn't
POSSIBLY be any other reason why he supports the bill...like the fact
that the NWS itself reversed a long-standing policy of not copmeting
with private companies. Before last year when the NWS reversed its 1991
rule, it didn't directly compete with private companies that have
risked capital and effort to provide a service needed by the public. Do
you REALLY want to have federally funded government agencies (with all
of the wonderful efficiencies the federal government brings with it)
using their state subsidization to compete with the private sector?

Old May 27th 05, 06:03 PM
turbo

Wow! A very-well established multimillionaire Senator selling out for
the HUGE sum of $2000? Amazing! Think I could get him to name a highway
after me if I sent him a check for $1.50 ? I'm sure it couldn't
POSSIBLY be any other reason why he supports the bill...like the fact
that the NWS itself reversed a long-standing policy of not copmeting
with private companies. Before last year when the NWS reversed its 1991
rule, it didn't directly compete with private companies that have
risked capital and effort to provide a service needed by the public. Do
you REALLY want to have federally funded government agencies (with all
of the wonderful efficiencies the federal government brings with it)
using their state subsidization to compete with the private sector?

When my tax dollars are paying for satellites and nexrad radars, I want that
data that comes from them without having to pay for it again. Anytime a
congress critter is accepting money from a company then introducing
legislation that narrowly benefits that company, we should be suspect.

Old May 27th 05, 06:35 PM
Mike Rapoport

wrote in message
oups.com...
Wow! A very-well established multimillionaire Senator selling out for
the HUGE sum of $2000? Amazing! Think I could get him to name a highway
after me if I sent him a check for $1.50 ? I'm sure it couldn't
POSSIBLY be any other reason why he supports the bill...like the fact
that the NWS itself reversed a long-standing policy of not copmeting
with private companies. Before last year when the NWS reversed its 1991
rule, it didn't directly compete with private companies that have
risked capital and effort to provide a service needed by the public. Do
you REALLY want to have federally funded government agencies (with all
of the wonderful efficiencies the federal government brings with it)
using their state subsidization to compete with the private sector?

Normally I'd agree, but in this case the taxpayers spent all the money
(billions) for the sensors and funded all the weather research. As a
result, the taxpayers have a right to the product of their investment. It
would be different if the private weather companies were going to buy all
the satellites, radars, and other reporting stations and launch there own
balloons accross the country twice a day.

Mike
MU-2

Old May 27th 05, 11:21 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "John Galban" said:
I find this akin to a city turning over a public street to a private
company and letting them charge you a toll to use the street that you
paid to construct. It's ludicrous.

Yeah, and _that's_ never happened. *cough*407ETR*cough*

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
We're the technical experts. We were hired so that management could
Old May 28th 05, 04:25 AM
Skywise

"Matt Barrow" wrote in newsFPle.82$sZ5.1034
@news.uswest.net:

"John Galban" wrote in message
oups.com...

Snipola

I just find it a little objectionable to pay
some private company for a Nexrad image that was generated by my tax
dollars.

Can you get a Nexrad image directly from NOAA/NWS?

Snipola

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/radar_tab.php

As well as many other websites.

Brian

Home of the Seismic FAQ
http://www.skywise711.com/SeismicFAQ/SeismicFAQ.html

Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?

Old May 30th 05, 02:34 PM
OtisWinslow

Yes I do. Providing services that take care of our safety and
welfare are one of the few inherently government functions.
The last thing I want is for the greedy private sector
to be doing it.

oups.com...