Discus b lead ballast plates wanted

Old February 23rd 21, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Cannon

Default Discus b lead ballast plates wanted

I am trying to locate 3 of the 2.2kg Schempp-Hirth Discus lead ballast plates. Rather unlikely someone is going to have the set and wanting to sell but I figured it's worth a shot.

I drilled automotive lead ballast to 10mm but underestimated the limited space up in the nose of the Discus. Turns out, I probably need to get the factory plates as the shape needs to be just right.

B40-3328: Trim weight kit ( 3 weights * 2,2 kg): €246,76

Old February 23rd 21, 06:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

How about making a mold by lining the area with cellophane and shooting
in expanding foam. Go easy with that as it really expands. Once you
have the shape, it shouldn't be hard to make your own weights.

Dan
5J

Old February 23rd 21, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Mocho

Carve a dummy plug out of styrofoam and use it to make a sand cast mold. Or borrow someone else's Discus weight and use it for the sand cast mold.
Old March 2nd 21, 06:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
NM

On Monday, February 22, 2021 at 7:39:49 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I am trying to locate 3 of the 2.2kg Schempp-Hirth Discus lead ballast plates. Rather unlikely someone is going to have the set and wanting to sell but I figured it's worth a shot.

I drilled automotive lead ballast to 10mm but underestimated the limited space up in the nose of the Discus. Turns out, I probably need to get the factory plates as the shape needs to be just right.

B40-3328: Trim weight kit ( 3 weights * 2,2 kg): €246,76

If you post your email address I will send you the template for the shape of the weights. I made my own on my Discus CS using a template from a Discus B. I carved out a mold out of 3/4 thick plywood, lined the bottom and the sides with aluminum flashing, and poured molten lead made from lead shot into the mold. I repeated 3 times. Surfaces were not perfectly smooth, but good enough.
Old March 3rd 21, 09:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Cannon

Thank you, that is much appreciated.
Old March 3rd 21, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hank Nixon

On Wednesday, March 3, 2021 at 3:22:01 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Thank you, that is much appreciated.

Another option that avoids flames and hot lead gases is to buy sheet lead from McMaster Carr supply.
It would involve cutting a bunch of discs out of sheet and drilling holes which is easy in thin sheet.
Anything up to 1/8 thick is easily cut with tin snips.
If you know size and stack height it is easy to match the factory weights.
Good luck
UH
Old March 3rd 21, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Sinclair[_5_]

On Wednesday, March 3, 2021 at 1:44:50 PM UTC-8, Hank Nixon wrote:
On Wednesday, March 3, 2021 at 3:22:01 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Thank you, that is much appreciated.

Another option that avoids flames and hot lead gases is to buy sheet lead from McMaster Carr supply.
It would involve cutting a bunch of discs out of sheet and drilling holes which is easy in thin sheet.
Anything up to 1/8 thick is easily cut with tin snips.
If you know size and stack height it is easy to match the factory weights..
Good luck
UH

Took the words right out of my mouth, Hank
In fact McMaster Carr has lead discs 1/2” & 1” thick, 4.5” & 6” diameter @ 1.5# to 5.75# with hole already drilled!
Can’t get any easier than that!
JJ
Old March 3rd 21, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Moshe Braner

On 3/3/2021 4:44 PM, Hank Nixon wrote:
On Wednesday, March 3, 2021 at 3:22:01 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Thank you, that is much appreciated.

Another option that avoids flames and hot lead gases is to buy sheet lead from McMaster Carr supply.
It would involve cutting a bunch of discs out of sheet and drilling holes which is easy in thin sheet.
Anything up to 1/8 thick is easily cut with tin snips.
If you know size and stack height it is easy to match the factory weights.
Good luck
UH

I've bought lead sheeting from a local metals recycling place, and
folded into the shape I needed for ballast. Exposed lead is a pain to
handle though, it keeps getting on your hands. So when the ballast blob
is ready you may want to wrap it in duct tape or something.