Options for visiting pilots at Lasham

Old September 9th 11, 06:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_2_]

Default Options for visiting pilots at Lasham

I'll be traveling to Southampton UK next week and would like to stop by
Lasham on Saturday & take a dual flight. I've visited the website and
unfortunately wasn't able to discern what options are available. Any
local knowledge would be gratefully received.

Thanks,
Craig Funston

Old September 10th 11, 05:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karen

--
Using Opera's revolutionary email client:http://www.opera.com/mail/

Old September 10th 11, 06:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karen

On Sep 9, 10:49*am, "Craig Funston"
wrote:
I'll be traveling to Southampton UK next week and would like to stop by *
Lasham on Saturday & take a dual flight. *I've visited the website and *
unfortunately wasn't able to discern what options are available. *Any *
local knowledge would be gratefully received.

Thanks,
Craig Funston

--
Using Opera's revolutionary email client:http://www.opera.com/mail/

Craig,

It was only about 25 or 30 miles from Southampton to Basingstoke.

One easy way to get in the air, they participate in that BGA voucher
program.

See: http://www.gliding.co.uk/lessons/tri...n-contacts.php

tel: 4401256 384900
or
email:

Interesting place. Very busy Saturdays. Enjoy.

Karen
Old September 10th 11, 10:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Clarke

At 05:18 10 September 2011, Karen wrote:
On Sep 9, 10:49=A0am, "Craig Funston"
wrote:
I'll be traveling to Southampton UK next week and would like to stop by

=
=A0
Lasham on Saturday & take a dual flight. =A0I've visited the website

and
=
=A0
unfortunately wasn't able to discern what options are available. =A0Any

=
=A0
local knowledge would be gratefully received.

Thanks,
Craig Funston

--
Using Opera's revolutionary email client:http://www.opera.com/mail/

Craig,

It was only about 25 or 30 miles from Southampton to Basingstoke.

One easy way to get in the air, they participate in that BGA voucher
program.

See: http://www.gliding.co.uk/lessons/tri...n-contacts.php

tel: 4401256 384900
or
email:

Interesting place. Very busy Saturdays. Enjoy.

Karen

Craig,

Email the office with your gliding details, tell them what you would like
to do and ask them to book a slot for you in a two seater with an
instructor. Then turn up at 8:30, get involved in unpacking the hangar,
tell the office you are there and go to the club briefing at 9:30. Best
advice is not to just turn up on the Saturday morning unannounced and
expect to be strapped straight into a glider. Book, turn up early and join
in.

If you are around pre or just post solo, think about booking a weekend
course if you have the time.

You will enjoy the experience, it is a unique club.

KR

Mike

Old September 10th 11, 01:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Philpott

wrote:
[...]

Hi,

I'm a Lasham member and one of the instructors there.

It's a big and busy club which welcomes visitors. We think that it
is probably the biggest gliding club in the world.

From the USA, you need to dial 011 44 1256 384900 to reach
Lasham's office. They also have a web site
http://www.lashamgliding.co.uk/ where you can book a trial
lesson. These are given time slots. Alternatively, if you bring
proof that you are a member of a US gliding club, you might be
allowed reciprocal membership and to fly at members rates. I
suggest that you check this with the office beforehand. Flying at
members rates would mean that you would have to join the
flying list and wait your turn at the launch point but you would
get the opportunity to take winch launches if you prefer. Aero
tows are the normal way we launch trial lesson flights. Both
methods are used at Lasham.

In terms of two seaters, Lasham has eight or nine K13s, two
K21s, a Duo Discus and a DG1000. It also has three Grob 102s
and three Discus single seaters. There is basic bunk house
accommodation available on site with single rooms but shared
showers etc. This needs to be pre-booked. There is a canteen
type restaurant as well as a good bar filled with lots of friendly
gliding types.

Getting to Lasham from Southampton is easy if you have a hire
car. It is also possible to go by train to Basingstoke and then by
bus or taxi to Lasham airfield. It's around 8 miles from the
station and the bus service is not very frequent.

If you want more info, or have any questions, please e-mail me
off forum at mikeat philpottdottv. I may well be at
Lasham next Saturday and if I'm there , I would be happy to
show you around.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mike

Old September 10th 11, 01:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BruceGreeff

Friendly professional folk.
I arrived on a rainy "horrible" day. Only had a couple of hours before
needing to get to Heathrow. Even with effectively 8/8 and embedded rain
squalls passing through regularly - there were a lot of people there.
Mostly enjoying a pub lunch in the clubhouse...

Took a little organisation and paperwork, but I was in the ASK21 behind
a Tug in 30 minutes with Bob Bickers in the back. First and only time I
have ever followed a tug up into a hole in the clouds to get to release
height...

As prior posters have said - email or phone the office - they are very
helpful.
As prior posters have said it gets busy - they have something like 9
K13s and the 21, to say nothing of the private fleet.

Cheers
Bruce

On 2011/09/09 7:49 PM, Craig Funston wrote:
I'll be traveling to Southampton UK next week and would like to stop by
Lasham on Saturday & take a dual flight. I've visited the website and
unfortunately wasn't able to discern what options are available. Any
local knowledge would be gratefully received.

Thanks,
Craig Funston

--
Bruce Greeff
T59D #1771
Old September 10th 11, 11:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_2_]

On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 05:25:16 -0700, BruceGreeff wrote:

Friendly professional folk.
I arrived on a rainy "horrible" day. Only had a couple of hours before
needing to get to Heathrow. Even with effectively 8/8 and embedded rain
squalls passing through regularly - there were a lot of people there.
Mostly enjoying a pub lunch in the clubhouse...

Took a little organisation and paperwork, but I was in the ASK21 behind
a Tug in 30 minutes with Bob Bickers in the back. First and only time I
have ever followed a tug up into a hole in the clouds to get to release
height...

As prior posters have said - email or phone the office - they are very
helpful.
As prior posters have said it gets busy - they have something like 9
K13s and the 21, to say nothing of the private fleet.

Cheers
Bruce

Great information everyone. Thanks very much.

Solo was some 38 years ago in a much loved K-13 so I'm really just looking
to hang out at the airfield and get a flight.

Turns out one of our club members in Washington State has recent ties to
the UK and is helping with arrangements.

Thanks again,
Craig

Lasham Regionals Steve Dutton Soaring 0 July 2nd 04 06:00 PM
Aboyne (Scotland) - Lasham (Hampshire) Steve Dutton Soaring 0 June 27th 04 10:40 AM
Lasham Regionals July 3 - 11 Steve Dutton Soaring 0 May 27th 04 09:34 PM
Lasham new look clubhouse, new look web site and new courses for 2004 Steve Dutton Soaring 0 May 26th 04 11:58 AM
Competitions at Lasham - UK Steve Dutton Soaring 0 July 14th 03 11:07 PM