Fuel Transfer Placards

Old October 11th 03, 11:06 PM
Ben Smith

Default Fuel Transfer Placards

Hello -

I'm starting to purchase parts one-by-one to build a mogas fuel transport
trailer, and noticed something about the pump, and filters.

The 12v Fill-Rite transfer pump I'm looking at has a tag on it that reads
something like: "Warning: Not for refueling of aircraft".

And, the spin on fuel filters are all stamped: "Not for use with aviation
fuels"...

So what's the deal? Are they really not for fueling aircraft, or just 'CYA'
precautions on behalf of the manufacturers? Looks to be 'CYA' material to
me.

--
Ben
C-172 - N13258 @ 87Y

Old October 12th 03, 04:21 AM
Jay Honeck

So what's the deal? Are they really not for fueling aircraft, or just
'CYA'
precautions on behalf of the manufacturers? Looks to be 'CYA' material to
me.

You are correct, Ben -- it's all CYA.

Your choices a (a) Use a filter expressly marked "not for fueling
aircraft" or (b) Don't use a filter.

I believe the correct choice is "a" -- but maybe that's just me. I like to
know that my fuel is filtered before it gets to my airplane.

See http://alexisparkinn.com/fuel_truck.htm for pix.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 12th 03, 01:55 PM
Mike Spera

Jay,

I believe you are getting auto fuel to fill your truck and using that in
the plane. If so, what will you do when you cannot get non-ethanol gas?
Ethanol appears to be showing up in non-urban areas now.

Mike

Jay Honeck wrote:
So what's the deal? Are they really not for fueling aircraft, or just

'CYA'

precautions on behalf of the manufacturers? Looks to be 'CYA' material to
me.

You are correct, Ben -- it's all CYA.

Your choices a (a) Use a filter expressly marked "not for fueling
aircraft" or (b) Don't use a filter.

I believe the correct choice is "a" -- but maybe that's just me. I like to
know that my fuel is filtered before it gets to my airplane.

See http://alexisparkinn.com/fuel_truck.htm for pix.

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Old October 13th 03, 01:00 AM
Jay Honeck

I believe you are getting auto fuel to fill your truck and using that in
the plane. If so, what will you do when you cannot get non-ethanol gas?
Ethanol appears to be showing up in non-urban areas now.

I have not had any trouble finding "regular unleaded" (AKA: No Ethanol Gas)
here in Iowa.

If any state in the nation is prone to go "all ethanol, all the time", it
MUST be Iowa -- since most of the stuff is grown/brewed here. (In fact,
they've put a bunch of tax incentives on the gas, so that ethanol gas is
actually a few cents a gallon cheaper per gallon here in Iowa...)

But no one (to my knowledge) has proposed eliminating regular unleaded.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 13th 03, 01:02 AM
Jay Honeck

How about using a Mr. Funnel. see it at : http://www.mrfunnel.com/

We used one of these when we were filling from cans. It keeps water out of
gas, but it's an awful mess to use -- and has no effect on keeping ethanol
out of gasoline.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 13th 03, 03:13 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Jay Honeck wrote:

But no one (to my knowledge) has proposed eliminating regular unleaded.

They are mainly doing that in heavily populated areas, and in many of these
places, only in Winter. New Jersey, for example, has mandated that "oxygenated"
fuel be sold during the Winter. Until recently, that meant that MBTE was added,
but they are switching to ethanol. Postings on this group indicate that things
may be worse in California in this respect - anyone?

In areas with these laws, it becomes impossible to buy gas without ethanol at
the highway gas stations.

George Patterson
unintentional side effect. - Linus Torvalds, speaking about Linux.
Old October 13th 03, 02:18 PM
EDR

In article UWlib.754008$uu5.129801@sccrnsc04, Jay Honeck
wrote:

If any state in the nation is prone to go "all ethanol, all the time", it
MUST be Iowa -- since most of the stuff is grown/brewed here. (In fact,
they've put a bunch of tax incentives on the gas, so that ethanol gas is
actually a few cents a gallon cheaper per gallon here in Iowa...)

I always wondered where all that genetically modified corn went after
it was refused for human consumption. I would bet that you don't have
any weeds growing in your tanks, either, do you? ;-))
Old October 13th 03, 02:26 PM

I was just thinking of that. I'm actually surprised you can find
it there in Iowa, Jay. I know of two places (coincidentally where my
family is and I tend to fly to) where ethanol is mandated. Milwaukee, WI
requires not only oxygenate, but with a weird mix that only they use
(read: expensive). Columbus, OH also mandates ethanol. From the sounds
of it, straight gasoline is getting harder and harder to come by. I'd
better fly some more to pay back the $1500 STC for my Cherokee before pure
gasoline goes away...

-Cory

Jay Honeck wrote:
: I have not had any trouble finding "regular unleaded" (AKA: No Ethanol Gas)
: here in Iowa.

: If any state in the nation is prone to go "all ethanol, all the time", it
: MUST be Iowa -- since most of the stuff is grown/brewed here. (In fact,
: they've put a bunch of tax incentives on the gas, so that ethanol gas is
: actually a few cents a gallon cheaper per gallon here in Iowa...)

: But no one (to my knowledge) has proposed eliminating regular unleaded.
: --
: Jay Honeck
: Iowa City, IA
: Pathfinder N56993
: www.AlexisParkInn.com
: "Your Aviation Destination"

* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *
* - teach what you do. *
* (Just my 20 USm$) *

Old October 13th 03, 02:33 PM

I'm sure it's CYA. Of course make sure the final setup is
grounded for safety... it's a serious issue.

I've been using autofuel for 6 months or so with 6 gallon cans.
So far, no real big issue, but I did consistently find a bit of crud and
water in the fuel sump. Three weeks ago I rigged up one of the spin-on,
water-absorbing filters as a "pour-spout" on the 6 gallon cans. After
flushing the tanks of all the crud (including pieces of stickers
apparently scraped in there when the previous owner stripped and painted
the plane), it's clean as a whistle. Now the one issue I had with running
cargas (contaminated fuel) is resolved. Nice to finally draw a sample
with *absolutely no* particulates or water. Even avgas pumped from
various airports tend to have a few little particles here and there.

Cheers
-Cory

BTW, Jay... how much water and gunk have you found in your system
after running hundreds (thousands?) of gallons through? Cut open the
filter when you change it if you haven't already....

spaceship one Pianome Home Built 169 June 30th 04 05:47 AM
Anybody need a fuel transfer pump? Roy Smith Home Built 1 January 5th 04 06:53 PM
Yo! Fuel Tank! Veeduber Home Built 15 October 25th 03 02:57 AM
Pumping fuel backwards through an electric fuel pump Greg Reid Home Built 15 October 7th 03 07:09 PM
More long-range Spitfires and daylight Bomber Command raids, with added nationalistic abuse (was: #1 Jet of World War II) The Revolution Will Not Be Televised Military Aviation 161 September 25th 03 07:35 AM