Region 12 contest cancelled ....

Old August 29th 11, 12:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

Default Region 12 contest cancelled ....

Just saw on the SSA website that the R12 contest has been cancelled.
Anyone know the story and reason(s)? Just curious as I was thinking
of attending at one point but could not rearrange my schedule

Ron Gleason
Old August 29th 11, 02:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Justin Rizor

On Aug 28, 4:36*pm, Ron Gleason wrote:
Just saw on the SSA website that the R12 contest has been cancelled.
Anyone know the story and reason(s)? *Just curious as I was thinking
of attending at one point but could not rearrange my schedule

Ron Gleason

Not enough interest is what I was I told.
Old August 29th 11, 07:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

There was quite a collection of gliders at Inyokern this weekend. From
SGS1-26 to ASH25Mi.
Jim
Old August 31st 11, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CindyB[_2_]

On Aug 28, 11:00*pm, JS wrote:
There was quite a collection of gliders at Inyokern this weekend. From
SGS1-26 to ASH25Mi.
Jim

Jim, Ron, et al.

Regardless of how many recreational flyers show up on a widely-
announced,
good-forecast-for-soaring weekend, that doesn't mean pilots will
commit money or
intent at least two weeks in advance to enter a competition.

Organizers invested time and planning energy, distributed entry
information, tried to entreat
potential pilots by offering mentoring and additional social, teaching
and fun events
concurrently, and STILL couldn't get more than ten pilots to express
interest.

Facing the expenses of importing tow planes, staff, and sanction and
insurance fees,
the willing-to-work volunteers were disappointed and had to call it
off. I am sorry for
their effort and disappointment. Having run the event for eighteen
years, it was not a huge
surprise to me that the commitment was soft.

Region 12 is blessed with many sites, and much generous soaring
weather. My personal
view is that the OLC has changed the sense of competition in our
Region. Pilots can fly from
various sites, on various weekends or weekdays, and still have a sense
of ranking and
camaraderie and poking fun with each other -- in "competition". This
decentralized 'racing'
allows each pilot and various L/Ds to fly with ZERO entrance fees
( have YOU made your smiley face
donation to OLC?), nearly zero complexity, with the variety of loggers
already in hand, zero sense
of risk in tasking ( go where you want, when you want), and still be
part of "the game".

This decentralized racing is NOT the same as a one-site, five-day
event in any sense.
Contests should not be viewed as the evil, glider wrecking gatherings
as they are labeled.
Tasking is moderate. Turn area circles allow pilots to adjust their
time aloft. In several instances,
participation is so soft that the handicapped concept is applied to
both Sports and FAI classes
(something that was done first in Region 12). The opportunity for
flying "with" other pilots, to
improve your own efficiency cannot be duplicated in OLC flying.

Worried about flight safety? Midairs? Landouts?
Truthfully, I came closer to a midair on a straight-out XC flight last
year than I had in
many years of Sports Class contesting. As usual, I was the one to
make the "Avoid".
Vigilance is the watchword, in all flights.
Landouts? Heck, I hold the shortest from home departing flight
landout award,
at under three miles. The contest environment holds no more risk of
landout damage than
any other soaring flight. Either you keep glide-slope discipline to a
safe place, or you don't.
Either you perfect spot landings before contesting, or you don't.

There can be issues of social inclusion or I'm-just-scoresheet-filler
at some events.
I think Larry, Walt and Micki were working hard to avoid that at
Region 12.
Let's hope we have another group of volunteers step forward to try to
offer a fun
time for next season. And I hope we have more pilots take the
opportunity to "play".

Thank you, Walt, Larry, Ian, Micki for offering the event. Thanks,
Tom, for your
coordination with the airport staff and airspace. Thanks Sierra
Soaring for being willing
to be invaded at a great soaring site.

Best wishes,

Cindy B
Region 12 Director

Old August 31st 11, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

On Aug 31, 9:17*am, CindyB wrote:
On Aug 28, 11:00*pm, JS wrote:

[...]

Cindy,
When I asked my crew (aka wife) if she would consider going back to
Inyokern, she told me there was no way she would go back to that arm-
pit of a place. See did say that Bishop would be OK with her.
Something to think about for next year,
JJ
Old August 31st 11, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On Aug 31, 9:40*am, JJ Sinclair wrote:
On Aug 31, 9:17*am, CindyB wrote:

On Aug 28, 11:00*pm, JS wrote:

[...]

I made the same mistake - took my wife to Hobbs one year. You should
read what the Lonely Planet Guide has to say about places before you
go. Their entry on Hobbs is priceless, quoted roughly from memory...
"Hobbs has a reputation among glider pilots as a good location for
soaring, but if you are not into gliders, there is no reason to go
there"

Mike
Old September 1st 11, 04:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

On Aug 31, 10:17*am, CindyB wrote:
On Aug 28, 11:00*pm, JS wrote:

[...]

I understand the efforts needed to organize and hold a competition. I
hope we see competitions at this site and others in the future. We
need more sites holding competitions, especially west of the
Mississippi!

Thanks to everyone who contributed
Old September 2nd 11, 04:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glidergeek

On Aug 31, 9:17*am, CindyB wrote:
On Aug 28, 11:00*pm, JS wrote:

[...]

You're spot on Cindy as usual. Region 12 held a contest I think it was
1996 or 97 at IYK It was my second year flying glider and I was amazed
at the participation must have been 30-35 gliders involved. There is
now alot of apathy in the sport especially here out west. It doesn't
matter where the contest is suggested Cal City, Warner Springs, IYK
most pilots just don't care to compete. The question is why? JJ & Mike
you've got a long way to come. Local pilots (within 60-100 miles or
more) don't. There's plenty of lodging and camping available around
IYK and the area isn't any worse than any other airport. Night time
temps are in the low 70's high 60's that's not bad either.
Old September 2nd 11, 09:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

On Sep 2, 8:41*am, glidergeek wrote:
On Aug 31, 9:17*am, CindyB wrote:

On Aug 28, 11:00*pm, JS wrote:

[...]

temps are in the low 70's high 60's that's not bad either.- Hide quoted text -

Hi there Glidergeek, I suspect Region 12 is similar to Region 11 where
we can only muster about 10 pilots that want to race anything /
anywhere! If we get 8 at Air Sailing its unusual + the AFA rounds it
out to 13 or so and we're damned glad they like the place. I believe
most that have a ship and skills to race are content with on-line-
contest. I'm afraid the good old days are gone forever. Peter Dean is
trying to promote a Super Regionals next year at Avenal. May get both
regions to come, but I'd rather see it at Bishop.
Cheers,
JJ
Old September 3rd 11, 03:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glidergeek

On Aug 31, 9:17*am, CindyB wrote:

On Aug 28, 11:00*pm, JS wrote:

[...]

JJ one of my fondest memories was a second place finish sports class
at L71 in 2003 only because of lack of entries :)

NEW REGION 2 CONTEST J9 Soaring 0 May 15th 11 02:35 PM
Region 3 contestants Welcome-Region Six North Contest Ionia November Bravo Soaring 0 August 13th 09 12:53 PM
Region 8 Contest [email protected] Soaring 10 June 1st 06 03:34 AM
Region 3 Contest James Hamilton Soaring 2 January 3rd 06 09:19 PM
REGION 6 SOUTH CANCELLED Region 6 Contest Manager Soaring 0 June 9th 04 02:29 AM