"Joy of Soaring" Book

Old September 5th 11, 07:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Carl B

Default "Joy of Soaring" Book

I have just heard that the SSA is no longer going to supply "The Joy
of Soaring". This is the book that I have recommended to ab initio
students and it has been well accepted. What are other instructors
recommending to their ab initio students? Thanks.

Carl
Old September 5th 11, 07:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom[_12_]

The SSA has recently mailed a letter to the membership regarding the
continuing unacceptable accident rate. Studies have shown one of the
primary reasons for a high accident rate is a fundemental lack of
knowledge. The Joy of Soaring was written as a simple coffee table
book. It was never designed to be a flight training manual.

Tom Knauff
Old September 5th 11, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Sep 5, 11:24*am, Tom wrote:
The SSA has recently mailed a letter to the membership regarding the
continuing unacceptable accident rate. Studies have shown one of the
primary reasons for a high accident rate is a fundemental lack of
knowledge. The Joy of Soaring was written as a simple coffee table
book. It was never designed to be a flight training manual.

Tom Knauff

30 years ago my instructor at Issaquah Soaring sold me a copy of this
book...............30 years later and a few thousand hours of flight
time and I'm still accident free......maybe it's not the book?

Brad
Old September 5th 11, 07:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
S. Murry

Maybe SSA needs a new book: "The Pain of Crashing." That would certainly
cause the accident rate to decrease...

--Stefan

--
Stefan Murry

Old September 5th 11, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Sep 5, 2:10*pm, Carl B wrote:

I have just heard that the SSA is no longer going to supply "The Joy
of Soaring". *This is the book that I have recommended to ab initio
students and it has been well accepted. *What are other instructors
recommending to their ab initio students? *Thanks.

Carl

Tom's books................of course!
Old September 5th 11, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary[_5_]

On Sep 5, 2:10*pm, Carl B wrote:

I have just heard that the SSA is no longer going to supply "The Joy
of Soaring". *This is the book that I have recommended to ab initio
students and it has been well accepted. *What are other instructors
recommending to their ab initio students? *Thanks.

Carl- Hide quoted text -

I agree with Andrew....my fiance recently started taking lessons, so
she pulled "Glider Basics" and the FAA Handbook (Tom's revision) from
the shelves. After starting with the handbook, she said she felt as if
she were back in grad school. She quickly learned that for somebody
brand new the Glider Basic's book was easy to understand and apply to
what she was doing in the air. It did not overwhelm her.

When I learned to fly in the early '70's we had two books, Joy of
Soaring and Richard Walter's book, both of which have their place
today.....on the book shelf along with other historical refernces.

Gary Adams
Old September 5th 11, 11:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sep 5, 2:10*pm, Carl B wrote:
I have just heard that the SSA is no longer going to supply "The Joy
of Soaring". *This is the book that I have recommended to ab initio
students and it has been well accepted. *What are other instructors
recommending to their ab initio students? *Thanks.

Carl

The GFH and the two Russell Holtz books
Old September 6th 11, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SRM

On Sep 5, 1:10*pm, Carl B wrote:
I have just heard that the SSA is no longer going to supply "The Joy
of Soaring". *This is the book that I have recommended to ab initio
students and it has been well accepted. *What are other instructors
recommending to their ab initio students? *Thanks.

Carl

In my opinion, the best materials on the market are Russ Holtz's
GliderBooks. I also like and use Bob Wander's materials and the
F.A.A. Glider Flying Handbook. I especially like the progress
tracking forms available with GliderBooks. I use the progress records
to keep track of my students, to do lesson planning, and keep the
student in the loop on their progress (a very important practice).
The progress records can be invaluable in situations (e.g. clubs)
where students have multiple instructors.

By the way, what I have found lacking in all available glider flight
training materials is what I refer to as lesson sequencing or a
mapping of prerequisite skills. For example:
- in order to fly a landing approach in a glider, you must first have
mastered airspeed control, coordinated turns, and descent control.
- mastery of steep turns is a prerequisite to flying in thermals.
- mastery of crabbing and slipping flight must precede cross-wind
approaches, landings, and takeoffs.

To that end, I have developed a lesson sequencing diagram. I'm happy
to share it with anyone who requests a copy. It is a Microsoft Excel
document. Email me at ".
Old September 6th 11, 05:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 9/5/2011 11:31 AM, Brad wrote:
On Sep 5, 11:24 am, wrote:
The SSA has recently mailed a letter to the membership regarding the
continuing unacceptable accident rate. Studies have shown one of the
primary reasons for a high accident rate is a fundemental lack of
knowledge. The Joy of Soaring was written as a simple coffee table
book. It was never designed to be a flight training manual.

Tom Knauff

30 years ago my instructor at Issaquah Soaring sold me a copy of this
book...............30 years later and a few thousand hours of flight
time and I'm still accident free......maybe it's not the book?

I'm sure the SSA had every intention it would serve as a flight training
book, as did the author. Like Brad, I'm at 30 years and a few thousand
hours later, and I also used it as a manual for many years as a CFIG.
It's probably not the best choice now, but it was a good choice then.

email me)