New detailed drawings of ClearNav Variometer

Old September 9th 11, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Default New detailed drawings of ClearNav Variometer

Hi,

I just received and added to my web site some new detailed drawings of the
ClearNav Variometer.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/clearnav.htm

The latest product update is available he
http://www.clearnav.net/main/cn-vario_status.html

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old September 9th 11, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Paul, can you elaborate on how this vario is different than say the
Cambridge 302 which has a proven track record. I have not used either
one so would be interested to know how it differs.

-karl kunz

Old September 9th 11, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Karl,

When the 302 was first released, Cambridge mentioned that it had built-in g
and rate sensors that were not yet being used. The plan was to use them to
improve the vario over time. Unfortunately, the company changed hands and
the upgrades never happened.

The new ClearNav variometer also has built in rate and g sensors that will
not be used in the first version. But I am optimistic that they will be
used in the future. David Ellis has done a lot of research and written at
least one paper on (if I remember correctly) using rate sensors to
compensate for gusts. Please also see the note on the bottom of the page in
the link below.
http://www.clearnav.net/main/cn-vario.html

Like the 302, the new variometer will work great with a PDA. But in
addition, the new variometer will also be able to send data over CANBus to
the ClearNav or other devices.

I like how the new variometer is modular - the sensor box can be removed
from the display for installation in sailplanes (such as the DuoDiscus) that
have sharply sloped instrument panel covers that would interfere with the
back of a 302.

I have quite a few customers waiting for the new variometer already. I look
forward to flying with one.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old September 9th 11, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On 9/9/11 9:21 AM, Paul Remde wrote:
[snip]
Like the 302, the new variometer will work great with a PDA.

Details? What third party PDA/PNA/etc. software is supported? Where is
the serial port protocol documented for developers? Does it at least
emulate a Cambridge 302 data port protocol (an obvious thing to do given
the history here)?

Thanks

Darryl
Old September 9th 11, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Darryl,

Good questions. I'm sorry, but I don't have any answers yet. I'll copy
Gary Kammerer at ClearNav for his feedback, but it may be a while before we
hear any more details.

I agree that it would be nice if the new ClearNav variometer sent out data
in the same format as a 302. That way it would already be compatible with
most soaring flight software. But I have no idea whether or not they plan
to do that.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde