some funny (but scary) stuff...

Old January 31st 05, 02:16 AM
Mike W.

Default some funny (but scary) stuff...

...i heard on the scanner today.

while listening to my scanner at work (near CMH) the humor//fear started off
like this...

tower: Southwest 521, cleared on the ILS for runway 28 right, your traffic
is a warrior at 2 o'clock, i'm not talking to him yet..

tower: warrior one whiskey alpha, I show you 3 miles northeast, enter right
base for (voice gets elevated) 28 LEFT, you are two miles in front of a
southwest 737 on final.

couldn't hear much of pilots' transmissions for some reason.

tower: you are supposed to talk with approach before you talk to me, now
where did you come from?

pilot: errr, ummm, ahhh (squirming in seat)

tower: well, you put yourself right in front of landing heavies, DON"T DO
THAT

(reply)

tower: OK!..clear to land, runway 28 left.

after a minute, plane lands...

tower: warrior one whiskey alpha, right on echo 2 if able. (plane still
rolling down runway)

(reply)

tower: ok, well, I don't know where your wife is. there are four FBO's on
the field (names all four), if I had to guess I would say that she would be
at Lane Aviation.

(reply)

tower: all right, let's try Lane. 180 approved on 28L, then left on Echo 1.

(longish pause, some comm with other a/c)

tower: one whiskey alpha, you just passed it, it's there on your left, slow
down and 180 agian back to echo1 and pull up on the ramp. call Lane on
122.95. That's a unicom freq. 122.95.

by now I'm laughing out loud. I continue working for a couple of hours, then
the finale.

Tower: one whiskey alpha, you are on tower freq, you need to contact
clearance delivery, 126.30

pause

ground (different controller): one alpha whiskey taxi to runway 28 left.

another pause.

tower controller, on ground freq (Let me handle this guy), audibly getting
excited again

ground: one alpha whiskey, you are still on ground freq, you need to contact
tower for takeoff clearance.

Tower: OK, one alpha whiskey, let's get you outta' here, winds calm, cleared
for takeoff on 28 left, left turn to 350.

pause

tower: one alpha whiskey, contact departure

pilot replies, everything seems OK.

several minutes go by, no other radio transmissions from one alpha whiskey

tower: warrior one alpha whiskey do read me? one alpha whiskey you were to
contact departure. one alpha whiskey if you can hear me, radar services are
terminated.

The thing that amazed me, is that even though the controller did raise his
voice a bit, he remained very professional. If this guy had pulled that
stunt over at OSU, those guys would have barbequed his butt (verbally).

Old January 31st 05, 02:29 AM
C J Campbell

Sounds like pretty typical radio traffic around here.

Old January 31st 05, 06:15 PM
Paul kgyy

I got my primary flight training in Class C and have always been glad
that I did. However, that hasn't prevented me making the occasional
goof at uncontrolled fields. Come to think of it, my Class C record
hasn't been impeccable, either, though :-(

Old January 31st 05, 07:17 PM
OtisWinslow

Was it "one whiskey alpha" .. or "one alpha whiskey". You used
both at different times. Or is that how it went down and the Warrior
didn't know they were talking to him.

Old January 31st 05, 10:47 PM
Roger

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 18:29:43 -0800, "C J Campbell"
wrote:

Sounds like pretty typical radio traffic around here.

I still got the most entertainment listening to the guy telling MBS
approach, "Ahhh... I have a jet off my wing. What's going on?".

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Old January 31st 05, 10:58 PM
George Patterson

Why would he have a jet off his wing?

Might've busted a TFR.

George Patterson
He who marries for money earns every penny of it.
Old January 31st 05, 11:18 PM
jsmith

That's because KCMH (Port Columbus International Airport, eastnortheast
Columbus OH) are FAA controllers and KOSU (The Ohio State University
Airport/Don Scott Field, northwest Columbus OH) are contract tower.
We have had A LOT of problems with the contract employees at KOSU in the
past year. So much so that the FAA has sent us an address to send
complaints to.

Old February 1st 05, 12:35 AM
Randy

Hear Hear to that!! My last trip to OSU was my last one. There's
several good airports in the area that are actually happy to see you.
OSU had the attitude that anything less than a GIII was not worth their
time or trouble. Didn't mind charging the fee though.

Old February 1st 05, 12:39 AM
Mike W.

"OtisWinslow" wrote in message
Was it "one whiskey alpha" .. or "one alpha whiskey". You used
both at different times. Or is that how it went down and the Warrior
didn't know they were talking to him.

Pretty sure it was 1WA, I got it backwards in the second half. Believe me,
that controller won't forget that tail number for a while.