Biased Aviation Consumer

Old May 19th 04, 08:25 AM
Luke

Default Biased Aviation Consumer

I have have been an off and on subscriber to the aviation consumer
publication, but more and more I learn that they are not as unbiased
as people may think.

I had a chance to talk to several members of the AEA and they often
mentioned that in their opinion they felt the need to send free "no
strings attached" avionics to one of the editors Paul to give
favorable results.

While they may make many good points I think, you have to keep in mind
that an editor who has just received a free multi-thousand dollar
piece of avionics equipment for their aircraft may tend to give
credance over some which demand the product back or payment. In light
of this I wrote Aviation Consumer and let them know my opinions on
this bias, and also told them I will cease membership until these
editors, or problems are resolved. To my knowledge this is the only
publication which offers a "unbiased review" of products, and it is
sad to see some in this organization taking advantage of the
situation.

Until then I rely on actual pilot feedback to make my considerations.

Luke
Old May 28th 04, 04:06 AM
Dean Wilkinson

Yes, I agree that Aviation Consumer is biased. When they did a review
of all of the flight planning software on the market a year or so ago,
the editor refused to review mine because it wasn't "one of the
mainstream products". I have reached 1,000 customers worldwide and
growing. I also have a quality product for a reasonable price. Who
cares if I am the market leader or not as long as I have a good
product at a fair price? I suspect that many of their readers might
at least have wanted the opportunity to find out about my product as
well...

Dean Wilkinson
Razor's Edge Software

Old June 3rd 04, 06:08 AM
Luke

Do you recall which editor you spoke with? I have heard this same
sort of experience from other people, and I am curious.