Omarama update

Old May 17th 20, 12:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Phil Plane

Default Omarama update

The situation at Omarama is still all up in the air. Glide Omarama where closing, then they were re-opening, but they failed to renew their agreement with the Omarama Airfield. As a result, this announcement came out last week:

Omarama Airfield Limited

The above company owns and operates the Omarama Airfield and is calling for applications from parties who have an interest in operating gliding services from the airfield. The company will consider applications for any one or all of towing, cross country and ab initio training, trial and or scenic flight services which will be the subject of the Licence to Operate.

The Licence to Operate will be granted for three years with two rights of renewal and may include exclusive rights for certain of the services.

The application should include:
- name, ownership and management of the organisation
- the aviation activity being applied for
- the aircraft and other resources available to perform the service
- confirmation that the relevant statutory requirements have or can be met (including Part 115 for scenic flights)
- confirmation that the service applied for will be available 1 September to 31 May each year
- confirmation that the service can be delivered e.g. that towing is available for a glider only service

The company will consider applications where a number of parties are offering seperate services but are seeking a single Licence to Operate.

Enquiries for further information and applications, which close at 5pm Friday May 22 2020, should be made in writing to:

Clive Geddes
Chair, Omarama Airfield Limited
Old May 17th 20, 02:20 AM
Ventus_a Ventus_a is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Plane View Post
[...]

Hi Phil

Am I right to think that the Omarama Gliding Club will continue to operate there along with the Canterbury Gliding Club over xmas or is that likely to be just wishful thinking on my part?

Cheers
Colin
Old May 17th 20, 02:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike[_41_]

Thanks for passing this on, Phil. Hope this all works out for you and the other instructors there. Am I correct in assuming that Glide Omarama, having most of the related assets and a working business plan, has already applied for the license and that this announcement is to satisfy some sort of NZ public disclosure requirement? Anything we can do to assist as individuals?

Old May 17th 20, 10:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Phil Plane

On Sunday, 17 May 2020 13:37:22 UTC+12, Mike wrote:
Thanks for passing this on, Phil. Hope this all works out for you and the other instructors there. Am I correct in assuming that Glide Omarama, having most of the related assets and a working business plan, has already applied for the license and that this announcement is to satisfy some sort of NZ public disclosure requirement? Anything we can do to assist as individuals?

Not entirely. Glide Omarama announced in March they were closing down. They laid off all the flying staff and shut down operations. Every-one was flailing around trying to sort out what happens next, staff looking for work, pilots trying to work out how to get a launch down the line, etc.

Next the coronavirus lockdown comes along and suddenly in April Glide Omarama announces they're planning on re-opening in September. Ex-staff are mostly confused by this as the reason for the shutdown was never resolved.

Now the airfield company has noticed the Glide Omarama didn't renew their operating agreement so they have made an announcement asking for expressions of interest. This is not just a procedural thing. They are really looking for other operators to step up.

As to what happens next, your guess is as good as mine.

--
Phil Plane
Old May 18th 20, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shaun Wheeler

On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 4:01:13 PM UTC-5, Phil Plane wrote:
[...]

I hope things work out. With the uncertainty related to Covid it's hard to imagine anybody willing to risk the capital that this might well require to make it real.

Old August 18th 20, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Latest communication from Gavin Wills, Omarama, NZ:

Sadly, Glide Omarama does not expect to be operating from the Omarama Airfield in the near future.

It has been an incredibly challenging six months for us on many fronts.

Many of you will know that the Civil Aviation Authority decided to discontinue our letter of exemption from part 115 of the civil aviation act earlier in the year. This decision, to enforce new compliance on Glide Omarama’s operations, was abrupt and unexpected and was made following extensive personnel changes within the Authority. Unfortunately for us, it fell in the middle of our season. Part 115 compliance for Gliding is unique to New Zealand and is a complex, lengthy, and expensive process. Requiring significant new levels of regulatory and administrative overhead it would have vastly increased our operating costs without adding any measurable safety benefits. It would also push many of our most experienced and talented instructors out of the industry.

Even as we began to tackle part 115 compliance, Covid-19 turned the world upside down. Despite some newfound local interest in gliding, many of our regular overseas clients and team are unable to travel here for the 20/21 season. We’re thinking of you all; whatever this gliding season brings it will not be the same without you.

A further hurdle has now been thrown at us by the Omarama Airfield Company. Despite our existing legal rights to an exclusive license to operate commercial gliding from the airfield, they have proceeded to advertise for new commercial operators. We have been attempting to work with them to resolve our concerns in a way which minimises impact on everybody else. Unfortunately, they have declined to engage with us around the issues raised.

As a result of all of the above, there really is no choice but to suspend operations from the Omarama Airfield until further notice.

I myself have retired and handed over the business assets and affairs to my son George in the hope that he can pull together new leadership and a future for what we have built over the last 22 years in Omarama.

In the meantime, I am preparing all of the equipment for sale including gliders, tow planes, hangers, and ancillary equipment, as well as writing a book. So please watch this space for updates.

I am told that over our 22 years, Glide Omarama had grown to become one of the most successful gliding operations worldwide. It was certainly unique considering the skills and professionalism of our staff, our wonderful guests from around the world, not to mention the Omarama soaring environment.

I often said that the real reward from this line of work was the people we met and the adventures we shared. This is certainly true for both Mandy and me.

I would very much like to thank all our guests from wherever you came and our outstanding team. There is also a very special thank you which I would like to make to Rod Dew our General Manager; his outstanding leadership and steady support throughout these difficult times have meant so much.

Gavin Wills – Retired, Omarama
Old August 19th 20, 01:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Tuesday, August 18, 2020 at 10:56:46 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

FYI here are (some of) the rules for NZ Part 115:

https://www.aviation.govt.nz/rules/rule-part/show/115
https://www.aviation.govt.nz/assets/...solidation.pdf

It is depressing to hear how bureaucrats have wrecked one of the best soaring operations in the world.

Tom

Old August 19th 20, 02:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, August 18, 2020 at 7:34:20 PM UTC-5, 2G wrote:
[...]

So sorry to hear the news, Gavin.

Old August 19th 20, 03:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

I've no inside knowledge, but I fully expect that someone will find a way for overseas pilots to fly at Omarama by the time the border opens to visitors.

This article sheds some light on that possibility:

https://www.odt.co.nz/regions/north-...rfield-licence
Old August 19th 20, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

This article sheds some light on that possibility:

https://www.odt.co.nz/regions/north-...rfield-licence

Does the District Council have any understanding of running a glider operation? Hopefully they were somewhat aware of how the previous one that worked operated. Some understanding seems necessary to be able to evaluate the interested parties.

Hope it works out.

Oh My Omarama! Daniel Sazhin[_2_] Soaring 0 April 2nd 20 02:33 PM
Omarama accomodations available for Feb Duster[_2_] Soaring 1 January 14th 19 02:06 AM
NZ Nationals Omarama [email protected] Soaring 0 January 14th 09 12:13 AM
OMARAMA, NZ [email protected] Soaring 2 September 23rd 05 01:08 PM
Soaring at Omarama Duncan McC Soaring 0 July 9th 03 03:05 PM