Flying in Africa

Old January 6th 09, 04:37 PM
abraxor abraxor is offline
Junior Member

Default Flying in Africa

Hi,

My manager is looking to fly from the north of Africa to the south, or vice versa. He does not have a licence, and we are wondering if a JAA PPL licence from the UK would be sufficient for the whole of Africa, and whether it would be best to buy a plane in the UK, or whether it would be more worthwhile to get a licence and buy a plane in South Africa.

We would be grateful for any information you can give us.

Thanks.
Old January 6th 09, 09:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ricky

--
abraxor

Sounds like an airline would be much cheaper & less trouble.

Ricky

Old January 6th 09, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

abraxor wrote in
:

Hi,

My manager is looking to fly from the north of Africa to the south, or
vice versa. He does not have a licence, and we are wondering if a JAA
PPL licence from the UK would be sufficient for the whole of Africa,
and whether it would be best to buy a plane in the UK, or whether it
would be more worthwhile to get a licence and buy a plane in South
Africa.

it would be OK for all of africa.

With the pound in the toilet, cheaper to buy on int he UK.

I wouldn't rate his chances of surviving the journey though.

Bertie
Old January 7th 09, 10:54 AM
abraxor abraxor is offline
Junior Member

He is planning on spending about a year doing it, landing in various countries, does he still only need a UK licence? I thought we might need to do a test in Africa too?
Old January 7th 09, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jan 6, 4:47*pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
abraxor wrote :

Hi,

My manager is looking to fly from the north of Africa to the south, or
vice versa. He does not have a licence, and we are wondering if a JAA
PPL licence from the UK would be sufficient for the whole of Africa,
and whether it would be best to buy a plane in the UK, or whether it
would be more worthwhile to get a licence and buy a plane in South
Africa.

it would be OK for all of africa.

With the pound in the toilet, cheaper to buy on int he UK.

I wouldn't rate his chances of surviving the journey though.

Bertie

Might save some time and trouble and start out from Somalia in a
Blackhawk.
Old January 7th 09, 09:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Sylvain

abraxor wrote:

He is planning on spending about a year doing it, landing in various
countries, does he still only need a UK licence? I thought we might
need to do a test in Africa too?

Your friend may want to join the yahoo group African Bush Pilots
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/african-bushpilots/) and start asking
questions on the mailing list; quite a few very knowledgeable folks there
who might save him a lot of time and trouble...

--Sylvain
Old January 8th 09, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

abraxor wrote in news:abraxor.3aa66e1
@aviationbanter.com:

He is planning on spending about a year doing it, landing in various
countries, does he still only need a UK licence? I thought we might
need to do a test in Africa too?

No, he won't
Pretty much impossible to do wone there anyhow. A birt licence will legally
allow him to do it.
Lots to learn about flying there, though. What type of airpalne?

Bertie
Old January 8th 09, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark

On Jan 6, 5:47*pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
abraxor wrote :

I wouldn't rate his chances of surviving the journey though.

Bertie

Especially if he doesn't "mark his tires" with tiger urine.

--
Mark

Flying in South Africa AWG Piloting 3 January 6th 09 05:23 PM
Ju-88 Africa b Fabio Aviation Photos 0 January 9th 08 03:33 PM
Flying in South Africa xyzzy Piloting 3 November 9th 06 04:40 AM
Flying in South Africa xyzzy Owning 3 November 9th 06 04:40 AM
What if we ignored N. Africa and the MTO? ArtKramr Military Aviation 49 December 14th 03 05:55 AM