Amphibious Planes

Old September 3rd 08, 05:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
nrp

Default Amphibious Planes

On Sep 2, 11:02 pm, Gezellig wrote:
On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 18:39:05 -0400, Bryan Martin wrote:
The Great Lakes have a big problem with zebra mussels, a salt water
species that were imported in ballast water from seagoing freighters.
They have thrived in the big lakes and have been spreading into more and
more inland lakes.

The effect being...?

Having zebra mussels in a lake is like putting glass shards all around
and attaching them to anything where the water flows. They are
extremely prolific (1 million from one in a year), stink up
everything, and the shells are so sharp that chainmail gloves are
needed to handle submerged boat parts or dock hardware etc.

There is an organization (the 100th Meridian initiative) that has been
trying to keep ZM confined to the eastern half of the country. They
had propagated as far as Kansas but in Dec 2006 they were discovered
in Lake Mead. It was probably a single boat that did this 1000 mile
jump, but now the west coast lakes can look forward to this.

I am concerned that Lake Winnebago in Oshkosh is listed as having a
zebra mussel infestation, which could quickly be spread all over
Wisconsin by seaplanes.

This is a very serious issue.
Old September 3rd 08, 11:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

"Gezellig" wrote in message
On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 20:51:49 -0700 (PDT), Robert M. Gary wrote:

Right now its a major issue in California. Apparently some mussels are
spreading across the South and have now taken up in SoCal. Many in
central/northern California are very worried about it. Some lakes just
have signs about avoiding certain lakes and not putting your boat in a
strange lake unless its been out of the water for 30 days. Some
places, like Clearlake, have made it a criminal offense to put
anything in the water that has not been issued an official seal by an
inspector.

http://www.co.lake.ca.us/Government/...Prevention.htm

-Robert

http://www.gma.org/surfing/human/zebra.html

Now I understand, gruesome buggers, aren't they?

Hmmmm. More and more, when I read these sorts on things, I wonder...
did we, or the europeans, outlaw a method of control for "environmental"
reasons?

Just a little more food for thought.

Peter

Old September 3rd 08, 06:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Gezellig

On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 21:51:36 GMT, Mike wrote:

"Gezellig" wrote in message
Who determines where you can or cannot land one?

Whoever owns the water.

On a side note, I emailed ICON and they referred me to the seaplane
directory. I asked about the "boating" aspect, that is if a license was
needed since you can, theoretically, move around the lake in it. Got a
"No" but I wonder when "No" becomes "Yes".Several lakes I would like to
fly into have adequate landing lengths but ramps would be miles away (if
you were to pull to the dry for a trailer.

Hm, come to think of it, I wonder if you could dry or wet slip an ICON?
Old September 3rd 08, 10:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Drew Dalgleish

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 20:58:48 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Sep 1, 8:33 pm, (Drew Dalgleish)
wrote:
On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 17:36:24 -0400, Gezellig
wrote:

Who determines where you can or cannot land one?

In Canada it's the pilot.

Not everywhere. See
http://www.qp.gov.bc.ca/statreg/reg/....htm#ScheduleA
for restrictions in B.C.

Dan

Yeah there's always exceptions. I'm in Ontario and most of the
provincial parks here are closed as well. With so many lakes available
it really isn't an issue for me. This morning I was doing touch and
goes on lake huron at grand bend. Beutiful flat almost glassy water.
Old September 4th 08, 07:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Frank Olson

Jules wrote:

Frank Olson wrote:
Otherwise it's "keep your eye out for deadheads" (and
deadbeat boat drivers) - at least in Canada.

Yes. One cottage owner was steering his boat into floatplanes to thwart
them from landing. He also called and complained that the plane operator
was at fault and cutting off his boat. Witness' proved otherwise.

He was a summer owner from the US.

Tourists.

I love summertime and have some great memories of flying float as a
"single guy" out to impress the ladies. I was seventeen when I got my
license and the first endorsement I got was my float. Earned that on a
Piper Supercub with 150 ponies up front. Cultus Lake was my favourite
place to practice glassy water landings. Now-a-days, you'd be hard
pressed to land amidst all the idiots in boats. Sadly, the guy that
taught me everything I know about float planes (and bears) is no longer
with us. He was killed in a midair over the Bellingham VOR. Two good
friends "bought it" with him too. They were practicing instrument
procedures in a Seneca and collided with a C-172 working the same radial
and going in pretty much the opposite direction. The guy in the 172
walked away after force landing in a field. The Seneca "augered" in.
The ironic thing about this tragic event was that Bob (the CFI) was
"paranoid" about clearing turns and "keepin' your eyes peeled for the
other guy". He'd had a close call with a student pilot years before
when the C-150 he was piloting almost became an aerial landing strip for
a Piper Arrow "letting down" on approach to the Delta Air Park. I can
only surmise he was distracted momentarily and missed seeing the 172
coming right at him. He was just a few hours away from the 14000 mark too
Old September 5th 08, 05:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bill Chernoff

He was killed in a midair over the Bellingham VOR.

What year did that happen?

(I live in Rosedale)
Bill

Old September 9th 08, 10:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Fred the Red Shirt

On Sep 3, 12:02*am, Gezellig wrote:
On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 18:39:05 -0400, Bryan Martin wrote:
The Great Lakes have a big problem with zebra mussels, a salt water
species that were imported in ballast water from seagoing freighters.
They have thrived in the big lakes and have been spreading into more and
more inland lakes.

The effect being...?

They kill a number of native fish. In Lake Erie they set back the
recovery
of lake perch. ISTR they are also a nuisance in cooling systems such
as
those used for nuclear power plants.

--

FF
Old September 11th 08, 06:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Stella Starr

Fred the Red Shirt wrote:
On Sep 3, 12:02 am, Gezellig wrote:
On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 18:39:05 -0400, Bryan Martin wrote:
The Great Lakes have a big problem with zebra mussels,

(snip)

The effect being...?

(-ppity snip)

ISTR they are also a nuisance in cooling systems such
as
those used for nuclear power plants.

Yes, they're quickly becoming a terrific problem for cities that drop a
pipe into the river to draw drinking water. They're tiny and have very
sharp-edged shells, and apparently glue to rival the toughest barnacle.
With no natural enemies, they've completely choked off water intake
systems and also eat up all the food for less aggressive native species.

And even a fishing boat with a gallon or two of bilge or a bait bucket
filled at the last lake can carry the damn things to a new waterway
several states away.
Old September 12th 08, 05:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Ol Shy & Bashful

On Sep 1, 4:36*pm, Gezellig wrote:
Who determines where you can or cannot land one?

Currently it is kind of open ended. If its a private lake you
obviously need the owners permission. If its a public water there may
be local restrictions to prevent you from landing there (like a
drinking water reservior). I did seaplane flying in several states and
still do so on the gulf coast. Common sense has a lot to do with where
you go and where to avoid. Aside from the blatant and/or obvious, a
casual question to the local FSDO may be of benefit. But, the FSDO is
often submerged with people who don't know their ass from a hole in
the ground and can be more of a hinderance than help.
Probably the best place is to check with any local seaplane operators?
They will be up to speed on where to go or not and what kind of
problems you may encounter.
I had a delightful hour in a homebuilt seaplane up in northern
Minnesota a couple years back landing on several of the many lakes
available there. Here on the gulf coast we land on any number of
rivers and a few lakes. Most of the lakes are water sources so we
avoid them. As others have said, watrer pollution is a problem with
boaters and jetskis but let an airplane land and they will point a
finger at you as the root cause!
Have fun while you can. Aviation is getting more and more restrictive
each year and here in the USA we have the most liberal flight laws in
the world.
Cheers
Ol S&B - flying and instructing in seaplanes since 1967
Old September 13th 08, 06:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Gezellig

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 09:53:45 -0700 (PDT), Ol Shy & Bashful wrote:

I did seaplane flying in several states and
still do so on the gulf coast

I'm in SW FL, any knowledge of this area (from Tampa to Everglades
City)?

Amphibious Planes Gezellig Piloting 46 September 13th 08 06:43 AM
Amphibious Planes Gezellig Owning 39 September 13th 08 06:43 AM
Mustangs of Old, concluded - P-51 Mustang Amphibious Variant.jpg (1/1) Mitchell Holman Aviation Photos 0 December 30th 06 04:52 AM
Australian Amphibious carriers with JSF? Henry J Cobb Naval Aviation 0 June 7th 04 07:16 AM